Author Topic: Trump: I would rather have presidential election based on the popular vote  (Read 10167 times)

Offline musiclady

I thought that was one of the major criticisms of Trump, that he was a New York liberal?

Yes, but he's masquerading as a Republican and most liberals are too stupid to realize he's one of their own.

btw, the idea of removing the Electoral College is as liberal as it comes.  It would give every election to the blue states.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I thought that was one of the major criticisms of Trump, that he was a New York liberal?

Yes, running on an "R" ticket...

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
HORSESHIT.

Because it is a Republic not a democracy.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline RoosGirl

I'm sure you're right, the liberals in NYC and LA cities would have voted for him with his stances on immigration and the military as opposed to losing NY and CA states with his stances on immigration and the military.   *****rollingeyes*****

You can't win individual liberals and lose liberal states unless you change your message, substantially, and if you change your message substantially you can't win conservatives.

Offline aligncare

I'm sure you're right, the liberals in NYC and LA cities would have voted for him with his stances on immigration and the military as opposed to losing NY and CA states with his stances on immigration and the military.   *****rollingeyes*****

You can't win individual liberals and lose liberal states unless you change your message, substantially, and if you change your message substantially you can't win conservatives.

Your expertise in all matters is truly stunning. I’m planning on building a ship to mars next Tuesday, if you’re not busy then can you give me a hand?

Kidding aside, bet you LOL’d when Trump said he was running for president and thought like, not a snowball’s chance in hell. Be honest now.

Offline Rivergirl

Kelly Conway's alternate universe is well populated.............and some of those folks are right here on TBR.

Offline aligncare

Kelly Conway's alternate universe is well populated.............and some of those folks are right here on TBR.

Honestly, at first, I thought it was publicity stunt. But then I began studying his background. That’s when I came around.

Offline RoosGirl

Your expertise in all matters is truly stunning. I’m planning on building a ship to mars next Tuesday, if you’re not busy then can you give me a hand?

Kidding aside, bet you LOL’d when Trump said he was running for president and thought like, not a snowball’s chance in hell. Be honest now.

Do tell, how does a Trump that got your vote also get the crazy liberal vote of NYC?

Offline aligncare

Do tell, how does a Trump that got your vote also get the crazy liberal vote of NYC?

I can’t answer that, because I’m not arguing for a popular vote. I was merely speculating about how politics would change presidential campaigns under such a system.

The electoral college is and remains a brilliant answer to mob rule. The founders got it right.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
They also got it right with the 3/5ths Comprise.  As much as they get for racism on the issue, they knew slave states would use the population of citizens with no rights to pack the House.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Did anyone in his inner circle ever let him know he lost the popular vote?

Yeah, he knows.   He would be playing golf all day right now, and be raking it in for speeches and new branding opportunities, and generally be living the life of Riley.

Ivanka knows her ex-husband, and says he shouldn't run again.   I think Trump would be a lot happier to be rid of all the bastards.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline GrouchoTex

Given Donald Trump’s ego I assume he believes he could have tailored a winning message even in LA, New York, Chicago. And given his energy and campaign style, whose to say he couldn’t have done it? After all, most people were saying he’d never win the primary, much less the presidency.

yeah, he has beaten the odds, alright, no denying that.
I still think he (or anyone, for that matter), would have to run left to garner enough votes from the major metropolitan areas.
I wouldn't say he could not do it, but I don't think we would like the outcome from him, or anyone, should the popular vote actually be the way we elect our POTUS.

Offline jpsb

If you want Cali (LA, San Fran), New York (NYC) and Illinois (Chicago)  to pick our presidents when by all
means do away with the electoral college. Personally I think doing away with the EC is a very bad idea.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:34:39 pm by jpsb »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Sorry this is all mind numblingly wrong.

If the Presidential election went to a popular vote the voting patterns would be far different.   You could take the election by winning less than 10 states.  Which means the candidates would spend all their time in Ohio, California, Pennsylvania, New York, Florida, Michigan, and Texas. 

They would pretty much ignore the rest of the country.   On top of that the hand outs would also be focused on those states.  So govt contracts and everything else would gravitate towards those few states.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
On top of that the hand outs would also be focused on those states.  So govt contracts and everything else would gravitate towards those few states.

They might try and given the fact they would have a large number of representatives from the House, things may get through. However, each state only gets two senators. They’d either have to make deals with other states, or see it stopped in the Senate.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

If the Presidential election went to a popular vote the voting patterns would be far different.   You could take the election by winning less than 10 states.  Which means the candidates would spend all their time in Ohio, California, Pennsylvania, New York, Florida, Michigan, and Texas. 

They would pretty much ignore the rest of the country.   On top of that the hand outs would also be focused on those states.  So govt contracts and everything else would gravitate towards those few states.

Agreed.  More to the point, it violates the principles of federalism that underlie our union of sovereign states.   The people of the "United States" do not elect the President - the people of the several States do.   Pennsylvania matters, but so does Montana.   If the popular vote were enacted,  the folks in Montana would never see a candidate for President cross their border, ever. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline jpsb

HORSESHIT.

He is correct, it is a disaster for Democracy. Fortunately we are a Republic not a Democracy.

Offline RoosGirl

I can’t answer that, because I’m not arguing for a popular vote. I was merely speculating about how politics would change presidential campaigns under such a system.

The electoral college is and remains a brilliant answer to mob rule. The founders got it right.

You can answer that question without advocating for a popular vote. As you said, we're speculating. You are speculating that Trump could win the popular vote.  This would require him to win a sizeable chunk of liberal votes in NYC and other liberal big cities.  So, how could he change his message to satisfy those liberals and you at tbe same time?

Offline jpsb

You can answer that question without advocating for a popular vote. As you said, we're speculating. You are speculating that Trump could win the popular vote.  This would require him to win a sizeable chunk of liberal votes in NYC and other liberal big cities.  So, how could he change his message to satisfy those liberals and you at tbe same time?

There is no way in hell Trump could win Cali, NY, or Illinois. And without those three there is no way
to win the popular vote.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
He is correct, it is a disaster for Democracy. Fortunately we are a Republic not a Democracy.

We were.

Once.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline aligncare

I’ve been wrong many times before. Like when I thought no way would Americans ever elect an inexperienced, community rabble rouser president. But, it happened, twice. I also never saw it coming that some conservatives would have a hard time distinguishing between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Politics is weird that way.

So, sorry, I’m out of the predictions game.

Offline Concerned

:amen:  Exactly right on all accounts IMO.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Yeah, he knows.   He would be playing golf all day right now, and be raking it in for speeches and new branding opportunities, and generally be living the life of Riley.

Ivanka knows her ex-husband, and says he shouldn't run again.   I think Trump would be a lot happier to be rid of all the bastards.

He would be crazy to run again.  But, then, he is crazy and I think he will.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline RoosGirl

I’ve been wrong many times before. Like when I thought no way would Americans ever elect an inexperienced, community rabble rouser president. But, it happened, twice. I also never saw it coming that some conservatives would have a hard time distinguishing between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Politics is weird that way.

Uh huh

Offline DB

Maybe we just don't like the friend of Bill Clinton that Bill personally chose to run for President as a Republican to clear the way for his wife... He was Bill's useful idiot that became too useful...