Author Topic: Randa Jarrar, Prof Who Sullied Barbara Bush, Can't Be Fired  (Read 1230 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

By Zoe Papadakis    |   Wednesday, 25 April 2018 12:28 PM

Randa Jarrar cannot be fired from her tenured position at California State University at Fresno despite posting inflammatory remarks about recently deceased former first lady Barbara Bush to Twitter, The Washington Post reported.

The English professor’s Twitter tirade, which included remarks that the former first lady was an “amazing racist” and expressed how “happy” she was that “the witch is dead,” sparked massive backlash.

Dozens of emails, editorials and tweets addressing Fresno State President Joseph I. Castro called for Jarrar’s dismissal from the university, and school officials obliged by reviewing her position.

Despite all these efforts, Castro announced Tuesday that no action would be taken against Jarrar, citing free speech as an unpassable obstacle.

“Professor Jarrar’s conduct was insensitive, inappropriate and an embarrassment to the university,” he said in a statement, adding that “her comments have angered many in our community and impacted our students.”

more
https://www.newsmax.com/thewire/randa-jarrar-fresno-state-professor-barbara-bush/2018/04/25/id/856612/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:06:31 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Randa Jarrar, Prof Who Sullied Barbara Bush, Can't Be Fired
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 07:03:11 pm »
Any other outcome was never in play.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:06:51 pm by mystery-ak »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 07:38:21 pm »
What kind of moron would still donate to that school after this?

Offline WingNot

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 07:49:42 pm »
Any other outcome was never in play.

« Last Edit: Today at 02:06:51 PM by mystery-ak »

:shrug:  ?

@mystery-ak

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 08:03:59 pm »
Interesting excuse -- while her conduct was reprehensible, she was entitled to free speech.   Yeah.  Sure.

I'll bet if a student at that school had made disparaging remarks about Obama, he/she would have been expelled. 

Honestly, though, I think the reason she is staying on has more to do with her employment arrangement with the university.  I've heard that in at least some schools, profs cannot be fired, particularly if they have tenure.  Is that true?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 08:09:40 pm »
 8888crybaby
:shrug:  ?

@mystery-ak

I messed up the title and it was in your post so I had to edit the title in your post...didn't touch your comment
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline WingNot

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 08:14:08 pm »
8888crybaby
I messed up the title and it was in your post so I had to edit the title in your post...didn't touch your comment

I knew I dindonuffin...  this time!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 01:02:58 am »
Interesting excuse -- while her conduct was reprehensible, she was entitled to free speech.   Yeah.  Sure.

I'll bet if a student at that school had made disparaging remarks about Obama, he/she would have been expelled. 

Honestly, though, I think the reason she is staying on has more to do with her employment arrangement with the university.  I've heard that in at least some schools, profs cannot be fired, particularly if they have tenure.  Is that true?

The First Amendment does not guarantee employment after saying things that cast disrepute on the employer. 

Silver Pines

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 08:13:02 pm »
The title of the article is misleading.  It says she can't be fired (due to tenure), but previously the university president said that wasn't true.  According to the article itself, they just chose not to fire her, which isn't surprising considering it wasn't the first time she spewed garbage all over the place.  They just don't care.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 10:59:37 pm »
Catherine wrote:
"According to the article itself, they just chose not to fire her, which isn't surprising considering it wasn't the first time she spewed garbage all over the place.  They just don't care."

Perhaps they agree with her.
I'd go so far as to say that's the reason she's still there.

Silver Pines

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 01:07:16 am »
Catherine wrote:
"According to the article itself, they just chose not to fire her, which isn't surprising considering it wasn't the first time she spewed garbage all over the place.  They just don't care."

Perhaps they agree with her.
I'd go so far as to say that's the reason she's still there.

@Fishrrman

It wouldn’t surprise me.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 01:17:12 am »
It may be as simple as they do agree with her, but I think it is more of a misunderstanding, whether deliberate or not, of the 1st Amendment.  The 1st guarantees free speech from the government - it does not guarantee the right to say whatever you want with no consequences from anyone else,  including your employer.

Offline verga

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 11:48:55 am »
Actually it is fairly simple to fire her. Document everything she does. I had a guy working for me that was protected by the union. I documented every assignment he was late on or didn't complete, every time he was late, every absence, every time he was tardy to a meeting, inappropriate comments to co-workers... etc.... Took about a month. I am certain the university has a moral turpitude clause in their contract... given her life style shouldn't be too hard at all to find "cause"... if they want to.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 01:54:22 pm »
Unless they own the business, anybody can be fired from their job.  I don't know diddly squat about tenure, but I would think she could be fired for a number of things, mainly criminal offenses. I think relieving herself (or other disgusting personal hygiene malfunctions) in front of her class might get her fired as well.   It's just that she might not be able to be fired for  what she says outside of class.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 02:29:57 pm »
Since Ms Jarjar Binks is on leave/sabbatical this year maybe they hope it will all blow over and when she returns no one will be the wise?