Author Topic: North Carolina: Government: Wild red wolf population could soon be wiped out  (Read 717 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Government: Wild red wolf population could soon be wiped out
By JONATHAN DREW, Associated Press 8 hrs ago

RALEIGH, N.C. — Federal wildlife officials say the only wild population of endangered red wolves is unsustainable and could be wiped out within years.

The prediction comes in a five-year review of the status of the species released Tuesday by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The report says only about 40 wolves remain in the wild in North Carolina, down from a peak of nearly 120 a decade ago. Another 230 wolves live in captivity.

The main purpose of the report was to evaluate the wolves' endangered status, which it says should be maintained. More detailed recommendations for conservation efforts will come in a separate document.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/government-wild-red-wolf-population-could-soon-be-wiped-out/ar-AAwhTsC?OCID=ansmsnnews11

This story even made the Drudge Report, I didn't know there were these "Red Wolves" but I definitely will be hoping they can be saved.

Offline Frank Cannon

Environmentalists contend the decline is due to neglect by federal officials who have halted releases of captive-born wolves and other actions that bolstered the wild population.

Eh, bullshit. They are disappearing because they are screwing coyotes.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Environmentalists contend the decline is due to neglect by federal officials who have halted releases of captive-born wolves and other actions that bolstered the wild population.

Eh, bullshit. They are disappearing because they are screwing coyotes.

Wait,   I think that Little Red Riding hood is behind this.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Instead of trying to save them "in the wild", it would probably be better to build and maintain a "purebred-wolf captive population", perhaps on reserves.

Online roamer_1

Instead of trying to save them "in the wild", it would probably be better to build and maintain a "purebred-wolf captive population", perhaps on reserves.

Nah.. They'll just replace them with 200 lb MacKenzie River Gray wolves like they did here...