Author Topic: Sessions Declines To Recuse Himself From Probe Into Trump Lawyer  (Read 830 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Bloomberg April 24, 2018

Attorney General Jeff Sessions has decided against recusing himself from the investigation into President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, but will consider stepping back from specific questions tied to the probe, according to a person familiar with the matter.

By contrast, Sessions recused himself from the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election that’s now led by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, a decision that angered Trump and left Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in charge of the inquiry.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sessions-declines-recuse-himself-probe-163718268.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: Sessions Declines To Recuse Himself From Probe Into Trump Lawyer
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 09:54:13 pm »
By staying involved in the Cohen probe, Sessions is entitled to briefings on the status of the investigation, which is being conducted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office of the Southern District of New York. That could put Sessions in the position of being asked by Trump, who strongly condemned the FBI raid on his longtime lawyer, to divulge information about the Cohen investigation.

As the Chief Executive, he certainly could receive briefings.  Orders or actions on the information, however, could be a political minefield.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 10:04:47 pm »
By staying involved in the Cohen probe, Sessions is entitled to briefings on the status of the investigation, which is being conducted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office of the Southern District of New York. That could put Sessions in the position of being asked by Trump, who strongly condemned the FBI raid on his longtime lawyer, to divulge information about the Cohen investigation.

As the Chief Executive, he certainly could receive briefings.  Orders or actions on the information, however, could be a political minefield.

That's certainly true, but for anything he does that is the case.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 10:38:01 pm »
Sessions' original recusal from Mueller's "campaign collusion probe" was on account of his connection with the Trump campaign.

Its pretty clear now that Mueller's probe is having less and less to do with campaign irregularities and more to do with finding something/anything that might give reason to indict someone/anyone connected with this administration, so there's no longer much reason for any further recusals.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 11:10:40 pm »
Nobody that I am aware of is still talking about 'Russian Collusion' except as a joke. It was always a joke from the beginning. It has always been a 'phantom investigation' in search of any crime, even if they have to make something up.

The Mueller probe is nothing more than a means to hobble and cripple the Trump administration any way they can, including using fake anonymous 'leaks' pointing out anything negative about Trump that they believe will give the Left and the NTs an orgasm, again, even if they have to make it up.

It will be interesting to see what Mueller and his team of Hillary campaign staffers come up with to justify all the money they have wasted chasing a ghost. It is the 'Seinfeld Investigation'. It is an investigation about nothing.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 11:23:21 pm »
Sessions isn't missed, whether recused or not recused. He is a big zip, nada, nichts, nothing.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline edpc

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 02:06:33 am »
Nobody that I am aware of is still talking about 'Russian Collusion' except as a joke. It was always a joke from the beginning. It has always been a 'phantom investigation' in search of any crime, even if they have to make something up.

The Mueller probe is nothing more than a means to hobble and cripple the Trump administration any way they can, including using fake anonymous 'leaks' pointing out anything negative about Trump that they believe will give the Left and the NTs an orgasm, again, even if they have to make it up.

It will be interesting to see what Mueller and his team of Hillary campaign staffers come up with to justify all the money they have wasted chasing a ghost. It is the 'Seinfeld Investigation'. It is an investigation about nothing.

It'll be interesting indeed, given that Mueller filed papers today, defending the search of Manafort's properties and storage, in defense of Manafort's motion to suppress the evidence recovered.  Some of the 44 page filing (link at source) is redacted.  It's either part of an ongoing investigation, it's sensitive, or both.. The warrant involved recovery of documents related to the Russian meeting at Trump Tower.

According to the latest court filing by the Mueller inquiry, which is defending a warrant attached to a raid on Manafort’s home in July 2017, part of what the FBI were hunting for were “communications, records, documents, and other files involving any of the attendees of the June 9, 2016 meeting at Trump Tower, as well as Aras and [Emin] Agalarov.”

http://www.newsweek.com/fbi-raided-manafort-over-records-trump-tower-meeting-russians-mueller-confirms-898389
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:07:52 am by edpc »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 02:43:22 am »

@240B   Amen, brother.  All that you say is true.  Another Seinfeld reference would be that no one in this sideshow is likable at all.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline edpc

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 08:15:04 pm »
Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Wednesday refused to say whether he had recused himself from any investigations related to President Trump’s personal attorney and fixer Michael Cohen.

“I think the best answer for me, having given it some thought, is that I should not announce that,” he told the Senate Appropriations subcommittee that oversees the Justice Department.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/384877-sessions-refuses-to-say-if-hes-recusing-himself-from-cohen-probe

Well, that’s interesting.  Knowing if he’s recused could indicate the investigation content.  Not long ago, McClatchy reported the Mueller team had evidence Cohen visited Prague to have discussions with Russian connected hackers.  Despite denials from Cohen, they stand by the sources and story.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:21:11 pm by edpc »