Author Topic: Dick's Sporting Goods says it will destroy all firearms pulled from its shelves  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle 4/17/2018 By William Axford

Dick's Sporting Goods is destroying all of its so-called assault-style rifles after the company's pledge to remove them from its Field and Stream stores.

"We are in the process of destroying all firearms and accessories that are no longer for sale as a result of our February 28th policy change," a company spokesperson said in an email. "We are destroying the firearms in accordance with federal guidelines and regulations."

Dick's Sporting Goods removed "assault-style rifles" - also known as modern sporting rifles - from its main stores after the Sandy Hook massacre in 2012. According to a press statement from the chain, the rifles will also be removed from all of its 35 Field and Stream stores.

The company would not say how many firearms it is destroying. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports the rifles will be destroyed at the company's distribution centers and the parts will be recycled.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Dicks-Sporting-Goods-destroy-firearms-assault-12840865.php?src=hp_totn

Offline DB

I suspect this action is going to cost Dick's a lot more than the destruction of its inventory.

If it wants to ride the PC dragon, have at it...

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Stupidity should have a price.  I hope it is a heavy one for those Dick's.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline mountaineer

I no longer can keep track of all the stupid PC corporations where commonsense is subservient to appeasing the perpetually offended. Dick's has nothing I need,  thankfully,  just like Starbucks.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Springfield Armory Cuts Ties with Dick’s Sporting Goods over Gun Control Lobbying

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/05/04/springfield-armory-abandons-dicks-sporting-goods-gun-control-lobbying/

Now Springfield Armory is cutting ties with the sporting goods chain.

They made the announcement on their Facebook page, saying:

Springfield Armory is severing ties with Dick’s Sporting Goods and its subsidiary, Field & Stream, in response to their hiring a group for anti-Second Amendment lobbying.

This latest action follows Dick’s Sporting Goods’ decision to remove and destroy all modern sporting rifles (MSR) from their inventory. In addition, they have denied Second Amendment rights to Americans under the age of 21. We at Springfield Armory believe that all law abiding American citizens of adult age are guaranteed this sacred right under our Constitution.

It is clear where Dick’s Sporting Goods and its subsidiary, Field & Stream, stand on the Second Amendment, and we want to be clear about our message in response. Their position runs counter to what we stand for as a company. At Springfield Armory, we believe in the rights and principles fought for and secured by American patriots and our founding forefathers, without question. We will not accept Dick’s Sporting Goods’ continued attempts to deny Second Amendment freedoms to our fellow Americans.

Offline thackney

Dick’s Sporting Goods Hired Three Gun Control Lobbyists In April
http://thefederalist.com/2018/05/02/dicks-sporting-goods-hired-four-democrat-gun-control-lobbyists-april-records-show/
MAY 2, 2018

Dick’s Sporting Goods, which announced in February it would no longer sell rifles to anyone under the age of 21, hired three Beltway lobbyists to lobby Congress for gun control, according to federal records reviewed by The Federalist.

The lobbying records show Dick’s hired two Democrats and one Republican from Glover Park Group, a DC-based government affairs firm, for “[l]obbying related to gun control.” No other policy issues were listed in the disclosure form filed by the firm. The disclosure forms show Dick’s pro-gun control lobbying effort began official on April 27, 2018. The official registration form noting Dick’s retention of Glover to push for gun control was filed on Monday morning....

https://soprweb.senate.gov/index.cfm?event=getFilingDetails&filingID=42DCBF70-A497-4192-AA06-E598CB19A30D&filingTypeID=1
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The management at Dicks must be full of liberal d-bags.  Anyone seeing this as a "sales winner" to draw in new customers must be crazy in the head.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline andy58-in-nh

There are so many sporting goods stores better than Dick's that I would never consider going there in any case: Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, and Eastern Mountain Sports among them. And if you liver around these parts, there's the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, Maine.

There's no good reason to ever screw around with Dick's...

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

:pondering:

Offline andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline musiclady

I no longer can keep track of all the stupid PC corporations where commonsense is subservient to appeasing the perpetually offended. Dick's has nothing I need,  thankfully,  just like Starbucks.

Other than championship T-shirts and free weights, I never buy anything there.

Now I won't buy anything there at all.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

I recently received some sort of Dick's coupon in the mail. I tossed it without looking at it. They will not get another cent from me.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
There are so many sporting goods stores better than Dick's that I would never consider going there in any case: Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, and Eastern Mountain Sports among them. And if you liver around these parts, there's the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, Maine.

I think Dick's will see flaccid times ahead.

Silver Pines

What a drama queen move.

Offline GrouchoTex

We have one Dick's Sporting Goods close to us.
Good Riddance.
Over-priced, and now anti 2nd Amendment.
I've only been there once and didn't buy anything.
I'd rather go to Academy.