Author Topic: Forecasters warn of rare, life-threatening wildfire weather  (Read 722 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
WacoTrib 4/17/2018 By KEN MILLER

Forecasters warned of dangerous, life-threatening wildfire conditions in parts of the Southwest and Southern Plains on Tuesday as firefighters in rural Oklahoma battled blazes that have killed at least two people.

Gusty winds and low humidity in drought-stricken areas will create dangerous fire conditions in parts of Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas, according to the Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Oklahoma. National Weather Service meteorologist Doug Speheger said such conditions haven't been seen in at least a decade.

Temperatures are projected to reach the mid-90s with humidity below 10 percent and winds gusting to 40 mph (64 kph). The forecast includes northwestern Texas and the Texas Panhandle where firefighting aircraft are stationed in Amarillo, Abilene and surrounding areas.

"With these conditions, wildfires can spread rapidly, present control issues for firefighters and pose a real threat to public safety," said Texas A&M Forest Service Fire Chief Mark Stanford.

In Oklahoma, two people have died in the fires and nine others have been taken to hospitals for smoke inhalation or heat-related injuries, emergency management officials reported.

More: http://www.wacotrib.com/news/ap_nation/forecasters-warn-of-rare-life-threatening-wildfire-weather/article_532ee539-01c9-5bb0-b002-11e768445a43.html

Offline thackney

Re: Forecasters warn of rare, life-threatening wildfire weather
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 05:02:04 pm »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 05:17:49 pm »
Could the powers that be please send some of that warm, dry air up north already? It's snowing and low 30s in New York State right now. That's fine in February, but not in April, and not when it's been ridiculously below average for a month and a half.

I do want to know what mangled up the atmospheric patterns so badly.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 05:34:13 pm »
Could the powers that be please send some of that warm, dry air up north already? It's snowing and low 30s in New York State right now. That's fine in February, but not in April, and not when it's been ridiculously below average for a month and a half.

I do want to know what mangled up the atmospheric patterns so badly.

Around these parts we could use some of that global warming right about now.  It's 33 here and snowing.   When it isn't snowing, it's raining and raining hard.  We have mudslides, landslides, rockslides and some of our roads are buckling.  Lovely. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 06:19:04 pm »
It cooled off a bit, to 63 F now at 11:18 am, headed to predicted high of 67 F. Sunny. Windy. Dry.

Orange County coast. So I suffer, yet another day.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Online GtHawk

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 07:33:08 pm »
It cooled off a bit, to 63 F now at 11:18 am, headed to predicted high of 67 F. Sunny. Windy. Dry.

Orange County coast. So I suffer, yet another day.
I know, and those nights in the mid 50's, Brrrrrrrr! Of course the wind channeled up from Huntington Harbor is screwing with my grandsons pitching and really messes with the quarterbacks passing in his football games, but it's just what he have to suffer through living here. Somethings gotta make up for the insanity in Sacramento.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:33:53 pm by GtHawk »

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 07:49:48 pm »
I hope everyone out there in the SW stays safe!

@truth_seeker @GtHawk  We are truly blessed by this weather, though the air quality in Burbank today isn't great.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 08:04:36 pm »
I hope everyone out there in the SW stays safe!

@truth_seeker @GtHawk  We are truly blessed by this weather, though the air quality in Burbank today isn't great.
@LauraTXNM
I hope everyone at risk of wildfires is safe, I won't be crass like some in other states were to Californians when we had our fires. As air quality goes, I'm loving living within a mile of the coast! Much better than when I lived near little Saigon or Anaheim, hope it's better for you soon

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 08:06:15 pm »
@LauraTXNM
I hope everyone at risk of wildfires is safe, I won't be crass like some in other states were to Californians when we had our fires. As air quality goes, I'm loving living within a mile of the coast! Much better than when I lived near little Saigon or Anaheim, hope it's better for you soon

@GtHawk Agreed!  The coast is just gorgeous, lucky you ;).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:07:04 pm by LauraTXNM »
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.