Author Topic: R. Lee Ermey, "The Gunny" from "Full Metal Jacket," dead at 74  (Read 1008 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/r-lee-ermey-dead-at-74-full-metal-jacket-gunny/%3fsetDevice=amp

R. Lee Ermey, a former drill insructor who became a Marine Corps icon for his portrayal of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman aka "The Gunny" in the 1972 film "Full Metal Jacket, is dead, his manager said. He was 74.

"It is with deep sadness that I regret to inform you all that R. Lee Ermey ("The Gunny") passed away this morning from complications of pneumonia," his manager, Bill Rogin, posted on Facebook. "He will be greatly missed by all of us. It is a terrible loss that nobody was prepared for. He has meant so much to so many people. And, it is extremely difficult to truly quantify all of the great things this man has selflessly done for, and on behalf of, our many men and women in uniform."
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline goodwithagun

Re: R. Lee Ermey, "The Gunny" from "Full Metal Jacket," dead at 74
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 12:33:06 am »
They broke the mold with him. Rest In Peace, Gunny.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 01:03:47 am »
Many people don't know this, but the opening scene of Ermey 'welcoming' the draftees to boot camp was complete without script and done in one take.
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 01:06:00 am »
Many people don't know this, but the opening scene of Ermey 'welcoming' the draftees to boot camp was complete without script and done in one take.

When I watch that scene it always reminds me of my first day.  Some guy brought a big gummi candy.  It was shaped like a rats.

I can still hear the yells.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 01:29:37 am »
'Mississippi Burning' was pretty good too, how it ends for his character, the Mayor, I'm not sure if I like that part, he wasn't involved in Klan activities in the movie but was a bit of an apologist for what was going on. Fine actor.

He wrote the screenplay and appeared in "The Siege of Firebase Gloria", I haven't seen this, an Australian movie. Rare, I enjoyed it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Siege_of_Firebase_Gloria

Offline mrclose

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self