Author Topic: In Kentucky, teachers claim victory as vetoes rejected  (Read 697 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
In Kentucky, teachers claim victory as vetoes rejected
« on: April 14, 2018, 05:35:00 pm »
In Kentucky, teachers claim victory as vetoes rejected

By bruce schreiner and adam beam   |    Apr 13, 2018, 11:05 PM ET

As Kentucky teachers declare victory after the Republican-dominated legislature overrode vetoes from the state's GOP governor of a spending plan that included new money for education, the question going forward is whether teachers will be able to sustain their momentum into the fall elections when Republicans will try to defend their super majority.

Teacher Karen Schwartz brought a sign to Kentucky's state Capitol on Friday declaring "Support our Schools." But it was her shoes, a comfortable pair of Crocs, that had a bigger message for state lawmakers. "They think we are going to get tired and go home," she said. "We're not going to get tired."

Teachers had been booing Republicans for months after they passed changes to the teachers' pension system. But Friday, teachers cheered as Republicans voted to override Gov. Matt Bevin's vetoes.

snip

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/kentucky-teachers-claim-victory-vetoes-rejected-54462165
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: In Kentucky, teachers claim victory as vetoes rejected
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 06:06:13 pm »
No point voting for Republicans in this state either.

The Democrats with big help from Team Mitch have not only destroy the grassroots Tea Party out here - but Democrats have infiltrated and have pretty much run the Republican party in KY.

I'm done voting for anyone in the GOP.

If anyone wants my vote - they need to be in a Conservative party.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 10:17:29 pm »
Invar wrote:
"If anyone wants my vote - they need to be in a Conservative party."

No one wants your vote.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 10:23:41 pm »
Invar wrote:
"If anyone wants my vote - they need to be in a Conservative party."

No one wants your vote.

The Republican Party has certainly demonstrated that fact, and made it crystal clear.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:51:55 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 11:22:35 pm »
This wasn't really helpful for Bevin......

“I guarantee you somewhere in Kentucky today a child was sexually assaulted that was left at home because there was nobody there to watch them,” he said. “I guarantee you somewhere today a child was physically harmed or ingested poison because they were home alone because a single parent didn’t have any money to take care of them.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kentucky-governor-blames-teacher-protest-031528663.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 11:54:28 pm »

“I guarantee you somewhere in Kentucky today a child was sexually assaulted that was left at home because there was nobody there to watch them,” he said. “I guarantee you somewhere today a child was physically harmed or ingested poison because they were home alone because a single parent didn’t have any money to take care of them.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kentucky-governor-blames-teacher-protest-031528663.html

No, it wasn't.  But his position on the bill was correct.  The Jefferson County Teachers' Association shared the lovely little graphic below.  I think they should have included a column for "Public Sector Jobs" and added that to the comparison.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 12:37:54 am »

So, Mr. Bevin, you are saying that children are inherently unsafe in the homes and families that brought them into this world, but the all-glorious public school system can do no harm.

Every school shooter laughs.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024