Author Topic: Stubby's story: All about the iconic World War I 'war dog' ... and star of an upcoming animated film  (Read 218 times)

rangerrebew

Stubby's story: All about the iconic World War I 'war dog' ... and star of an upcoming animated film
By: Ashley Bunch   June 7, 2017

War hero. Friend to presidents, generals and grunts alike. Pioneer in his field, respected by military and academic institutions, visited by millions of people a year, subject of a variety of internet-fueled legends and soon to be the subject of a major motion picture.

Not bad for a dog. Especially one that's been dead for more than 90 years.

The story of Stubby, commonly referred to as Sgt. Stubby, is one of great service, trust and loyalty. It began in Connecticut, crossed the Atlantic into the battles of World War I, and returned home to a hero's welcome. After a lifetime of honors at the side of his owner, James Robert Conroy, Stubby died in 1926, received a 15-paragraph obituary in the New York Times, and would eventually become part of the Smithsonian's collection — his coat, laid over a cast, is on display at the National Museum of American History.

https://www.militarytimes.com/2017/06/07/stubby-s-story-all-about-the-iconic-world-war-i-war-dog-and-star-of-an-upcoming-animated-film/