Author Topic: Arizona court says Dreamers no longer eligible for in-state tuition  (Read 1042 times)

rangerrebew

Arizona court says Dreamers no longer eligible for in-state tuition

By Dom Calicchio

Published April 11, 2018
FoxNews.com

College students in Arizona who participate in the Obama-era DACA program are no longer eligible for cheaper “in-state” tuition, the state’s Supreme Court ruled this week.

The ruling affects so-called Dreamers who attend Arizona’s three state universities and its largest community college.

The unanimous ruling Monday will affect at least 2,000 students who participate in DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), which began in 2012 and which President Donald Trump has been looking to scrap or change since taking office in 2017.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/04/11/arizona-court-says-dreamers-no-longer-eligible-for-in-state-tuition.html

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: Arizona court says Dreamers no longer eligible for in-state tuition
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 02:12:50 pm »
"While people can disagree what the law should be, I hope we all can agree that the attorney general must enforce the law as it is, not as we want it to be."

- Mark Brnovich, Arizona attorney general

What a shocking concept.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 02:28:34 pm »
Did you see this, @Slip18 @Cyber Liberty?   

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 02:39:13 pm »

Yes I saw something about this the other day.  This is good news, I hope the Ninth Circus doesn't find a reason to meddle.  It's insane that an illegal alien can get a price break that a kid from New Mexico does not, by virtue of being in the state illegally.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 02:48:32 pm »
McLame must be rolling over in his grave.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 02:59:41 pm »

And I heard it from a very reliable source! 

@Cyber Liberty
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 04:43:19 pm »
McLame must be rolling over in his grave.
Rolling in.........into, whatever, it's all good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 05:13:20 pm »
The unanimous ruling Monday will affect at least 2,000 students who participate in DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), which began in 2012 and which President Donald Trump has been looking to scrap or change since taking office in 2017.

I thought he was giving Congress ample chance to preserve it. I support narrowly defined DACA.

I don't feel it is just, to punish a young person, for the misdeeds of his parents.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 05:24:57 pm »
I thought he was giving Congress ample chance to preserve it. I support narrowly defined DACA.

I don't feel it is just, to punish a young person, for the misdeeds of his parents.

Looking at the topic...how do you feel about allowing illegal aliens to buy tuition at in-state rates while charging US Citizens from, say California, out-of-state rates?  Is that just?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 05:37:02 pm »

Yes, better to punish hard working taxpayers.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 05:38:16 pm »
Looking at the topic...how do you feel about allowing illegal aliens to buy tuition at in-state rates while charging US Citizens from, say California, out-of-state rates?  Is that just?

If the Dreamer lives in a state, I would allow him to be treated as "in state." Remember I earlier wrote "narrowly defined."

(I have no confidence, that "narrowly defined" would remain so, in the hands of career, liberal government types)

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 05:43:04 pm »
Yes, better to punish hard working taxpayers.

If you contend that higher education is a net cost to "taxpayers," then every student is a cost too.

If you argue that taxation of graduates over their lifetimes, repays the costs then yoou get another answer.

That is another issue, however. I went to a state university, and received the GI Bill, too. I have paid income, property, sales, excize, utility taxes for over 50 years, too. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 05:45:19 pm »
If you contend that higher education is a net cost to "taxpayers," then every student is a cost too.

If you argue that taxation of graduates over their lifetimes, repays the costs then yoou get another answer.

That is another issue, however. I went to a state university, and received the GI Bill, too. I have paid income, property, sales, excize, utility taxes for over 50 years, too.

Yes, higher education is a net cost to tax payers.

Not sure what relevance your having paid taxes is.  If you want to support illegal residents going to college, by all means do so.  You can write a check whenever you want to, and doing so would remove any hint of hypocrisy from your statement.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 05:48:02 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 07:09:41 pm »

If you argue that taxation of graduates over their lifetimes, repays the costs then you get another answer.

A highly inaccurate answer, if you assume that student stays in state, which is a poor assumption.

You say you would define DACA "narrowly," yet claim an illegal alien should get the same advantage in tuition rates as a US Citizen.  I would draw DACA just a little bit more narrowly.  Fortunately, the Supreme Court of my state agrees with me.
I will NOT comply.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 07:12:38 pm »

Let 'em go to college in Mexico.  Maybe if Mexico had more college graduates, it wouldn't be the sh!thole it is now.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 12:11:40 am »
dfw wrote:
"Let 'em go to college in Mexico.  Maybe if Mexico had more college graduates, it wouldn't be the sh!thole it is now."

^^^^^^^
This is the right answer!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 12:27:21 am »
dfw wrote:
"Let 'em go to college in Mexico.  Maybe if Mexico had more college graduates, it wouldn't be the sh!thole it is now."

^^^^^^^
This is the right answer!

Except for one thing:  Then they'll qualify for H1B Visas, and come take the jobs away from Engineers instead of landscapers. :shrug:
I will NOT comply.