Author Topic: L.A. County wants to help build guest houses in backyards — for homeless people  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Not just that.... but, as a homeowner, I believe that you are legally liable for any injury that befalls someone while on your property.  So yeah... putting homeless guys, probably on drugs and/or drunk... on your premises would put you in major legal jeopardy, I'm thinking.  Dunno for sure, though, how it would work in the land of fruits & nuts.
The flip side is that if you accept the city's money, what does it take to get someone who is dangerous out? Landlord/tenant laws there are crazy, too. You might be stuck with them for a while, unlike a normal apartment.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Seems like there's a violation of the 3rd Amendment in this if California tries to go through with it.

Yes I know it's not troops that are being considered for housing in these people's backyard...but still forcing someone to house people against their will would be a violation IMHO.

Geesh.....where does it say that anybody will be "forced to house people against their will"?

They are considering offering a monetary incentive to property owners, to create said housing.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Most homeless people are dangerous. These are not the kind of people anyone would want hanging around their children or their home. Most of them are mentally disturbed drug addicts. And most of them are thieves.

While there are some legitimate homeless people who are normal and nice. That is not the norm by any means. A lot of them are felons on the run who are homeless because they want to stay off the grid. Others are homeless because they are unemployable due to a history of child assault, sexual assault, or violence. No one will hire them. Even apartments will not let them in. These are some bad dudes, and bad women.

I wouldn't want them anywhere near me or my family. They may seem nice at first. But it is only a matter of time until they rob you, take whatever they can, and hit the road again. That is their lifestyle. That is what they are used to. That is what they do. There is no 'helping' 90% of them because they do not want help. They like their life exactly as it is.

Getting involved with them will only lead to lots of trouble. Especially once they start inviting their friends over to party and stay with them for a while. Someone may start out with a homeless person, or a homeless family living in their back yard. In three months, there will two dozen people out there, stealing everything in sight and pissing and shitting on the grass. No way. Not me. I want nothing to do with this inevitable disaster.

Says that they're offering $75K to property owners.   

Don't see anything about public utilities....electric, gas, water.    (Speaking about the monthly increases/costs)
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Says that they're offering $75K to property owners.   

Don't see anything about public utilities....electric, gas, water.    (Speaking about the monthly increases/costs)
Just from the horror stories I hear about ordinary rental properties being trashed by tenants, then adding the likelihood that these would be people who are used to plugging the public restrooms at the park (if they use them at all), I'd be disinclined to enroll in such a plan.

I had an old camper van in my outback with a relatively minor engine problem. I let a guy stay in there during the summer for a couple of nights. I ended up having to scrap the van (damage to the interior). It was pretty nice, but after the old analog TV had been torn out of the overhead and the interior trashed, it would not have been worth it to fix. Never again.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Geesh.....where does it say that anybody will be "forced to house people against their will"?

They are considering offering a monetary incentive to property owners, to create said housing.

You must have missed the post where @thackney corrected me and I agreed.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@DCPatriot
I wonder if their neighbors will get compensated.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
@240B
My son is working as an EMT and has daily contact with homeless people.  He would agree that nearly all are dangerous and have mental issues.   Alcohol and drug abuse are nearly 100%.   

If homeless people need help there are shelters for them.   Many won't go to the shelters because then they cant drink or do drugs.  Those probably need to be jailed until they can recover from their addiction.

Or they will go to shelters, but will soon leave because they can't or won't observe rules.

Rules= curfew, no drugs or alcohol, etc.

My neighbor has a Masters, is a licensed professional, and recently wrote on a neighborhood blog about ten years of trying to help them.

She said it is mostly futile. The bleeding heart liberals, insist they need more resources. My neighbor says there are adequate resources (she was one for ten years).

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Or they will go to shelters, but will soon leave because they can't or won't observe rules.

Rules= curfew, no drugs or alcohol, etc.

My neighbor has a Masters, is a licensed professional, and recently wrote on a neighborhood blog about ten years of trying to help them.

She said it is mostly futile. The bleeding heart liberals, insist they need more resources. My neighbor says there are adequate resources (she was one for ten years).

I was at homeless shelter that required anyone who wanted a cot, to take a shower first. It was health and safety issue because most of these guys were filthy. I was personally amazed at how many homeless would turn around and walk away because of the shower. They were not going to take a Goddam shower and that is that! I don't know why. I cannot explain this. Most likely a part of their mental illness.

So instead of sleeping indoors in bug free climate controlled room, they would rather sleep in the woods somewhere or in an alleyway only because they didn't want to take a shower. Oh yea, sure, I definitely want those guys living in my back yard. That's a great idea.

Whenever I dealt with any homeless, I was always very careful to make sure they did not know where I live and they did not have my phone number. The idea of inviting them over to where I live is insanity. Letting them live in my backyard would be beyond insanity. Wherever those people go, they bring trouble with them. That's exactly why they are homeless in the first place.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Do people actually believe this is acceptable behavior?  I will never understand that part.

*****rollingeyes*****

There is a reason why they are homeless.  That is one. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
There is a reason why they are homeless.  That is one.

Yes, homelessness may be the least of their problems.

Offline GrouchoTex

Heads up: If it is happening in California, it might be headed your way, too.

Nope, the only thing heading our way from California is Californians, escaping the craziness.

Last night, on my way home, I saw an SUV with a Golden State Warriors, and a San Francisco 49'ers sticker on the back.

Just a guess, but I figured they weren't from Lampasas, Waxahachie, Cut and Shoot, etc....

I see this kind of thing everyday.

Offline truth_seeker

Without proof beyond anecdotal, I believe most are mentally ill as the result of substance usage.

(based on over 24 years of AA meetings, and nearly 47 years living in 2 adjacent zip codes)

Civil libertariians right/left/center argue they have a right to roam as they please. I call it mainstreaming.

Bleeding hearts naively blame the public, for not helping them enough. Enough = $$$$

Conservatives know many have burned all their bridges. Family, treatment, etc.

Please let me know if your community finds/implements good solutions.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Nope, the only thing heading our way from California is Californians, escaping the craziness.

Last night, on my way home, I saw an SUV with a Golden State Warriors, and a San Francisco 49'ers sticker on the back.

Just a guess, but I figured they weren't from Lampasas, Waxahachie, Cut and Shoot, etc....

I can't imagine too many San Francisco refugees finding much to like in Lampasas.  I love the place...but then I'm a Texan.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline truth_seeker

We have relatives that have moved from CA to Texas. Jobs and lower cost of iving are anatraction.

I've had work connections with Texas and Texans since the early 70s, for similar reasons. Energy business.

Decades back one of my favotite bosses, was an Italian American guy who moved from New Jersey to Houston Texas, and his family then called it home. When he got a promotion to come to CA they had mixed feelings.

Generally I believe the people leaving California are the conservatives.

It is my understanding Austin is about as liberal as can be. It is likely younger liberals from SF would enjoy working there in the tech industry.

One of my HS classmate's family was from Lampasas area, and he was named Burleson, the founding Texas family. His dad was a cop. My classmate was a star athlete and scholar. Phd in Psychology and a lifelong government university employee. No military, no great professional accomplishments. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 06:39:16 pm by truth_seeker »

Offline dfwgator

Oh, sure it's voluntary now....but then.....

! No longer available

Offline GrouchoTex

We have relatives that have moved from CA to Texas. Jobs and lower cost of iving are anatraction.

I've had work connections with Texas and Texans since the early 70s, for similar reasons. Energy business.

Decades back one of my favotite bosses, was an Italian American guy who moved from New Jersey to Houston Texas, and his family then called it home. When he got a promotion to come to CA they had mixed feelings.

Generally I believe the people leaving California are the conservatives.

I would agree, a lot are conservatives, and a lot are coming for work reasons.

Interesting that we would see in the late 70's/early 80's, an influx from traditionally rust belt states.
A lot of Illinois. Michigan, and Ohio licence plates.

Back then, if someone told you they left California to come here, most people would ask them "Why?"
Now, California plates are those that I see most often.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I can't imagine too many San Francisco refugees finding much to like in Lampasas.  I love the place...but then I'm a Texan.

Seriously?  There's what, 4 BBQ places in Lampasas!

Offline GrouchoTex

In Lockhart there's 3 or 4.
Not sure how many are in Lampasas.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Yes there is...and then there is Storms...sad thing is my favorite German restraint is not there anymore :(

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yes there is...and then there is Storms...sad thing is my favorite German restraint is not there anymore :(

German restraint?  Don't let Frank see that.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Restaurant.  :facepalm2:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

Was it over when the germans bombed Pearl Harbor.   Nothings over till we say it it.  cuz when the tough get going..... well....the tough get going....

Screw Frank!  He is not germane to the subject.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:54:13 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Thackney wrote:
"There is no one being forced.  These folks are taking government money in exchange for participating in the program.  You too could have a less-than-section-8 housing unit built on your property."

Hmmm....
I wonder if the legal concept of "adverse possession" could come into play here, after a certain number of years have passed by?

What if the homeowner with the "homeless shelter" out back, decides to sell the property -- and then the new buyer comes in and decides he doesn't want the shelter there any more?

Will the construction of the shelter establish a "right" by the city to prevent subsequent property owners from evicting or tearing down the "shelters"?

Wanna see who the REALLY STUPID people are in this world?
Watch the ones who decide to try out this program.
"How to ruin the value of your property" in one, easy lesson.
Calls to mind the "Refugees Welcome" demonstrators in Western Europe...

Offline goatprairie

This idea is so stupid only a west coast liberal would think it could work.
This "solution" has all the earmarks of typical, liberal stupidity.  They completely misunderstand the problem, and the "solution" will only make things worse. 
And no matter how many times The Law Of Unintended Consequences strikes liberals, they never learn from their mistakes.

Online kevindavis007

...for homeowners who agree...

There is no one being forced.  These folks are taking government money in exchange for participating in the program.  You too could have a less-than-section-8 housing unit built on your property.

Well if it was my land, I would make them do all work that needs to be done
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”