Author Topic: Trump Tower fire victim didn’t have functioning smoke detector in his apartment, says FDNY  (Read 721 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump Tower fire victim didn’t have functioning smoke detector in his apartment, says FDNY
BY Laura Dimon Erin Durkin Esha Ray
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, April 9, 2018, 5:52 PM

Smoke detectors save lives — and one might have saved the man who died in Saturday’s blaze in Trump Tower.

Todd Brassner’s apartment didn’t have a working smoke detector, FDNY officials said Monday.

Firefighters rushed over to the Fifth Ave. high-rise after a building-wide alarm system alerted them to the blaze, officials said.

By the time they arrived, Brassner, a 67-year-old art dealer, was unconscious on the 50th floor.

Continued at: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/trump-tower-fire-victim-didn-working-smoke-detector-article-1.3924370

If this was reported on already, please delete.

Offline mountaineer

I guess he should have bought one, then.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

I believe it's the landlord's responsibility to provide the detector.  However, the tenant usually has some responsibility in ensuring it is functioning.  Not sure what the current NYS/NYC rules are.

Offline mountaineer

I don't know about NYC, but in commonsense land, a person provides his own smoke detector.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

Many years ago, I had a co-worker who bought a new smoke detector for his house.  Took it out of the package, put in the battery and it immediately went off and would not shut off.  He fiddled with it a bit, taking the battery in an out a few times.  Disgusted, he grabbed the receipt and headed back to the story to get a replacement unit that worked.

When he got home the second time, his house was on fire....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
Many years ago, I had a co-worker who bought a new smoke detector for his house.  Took it out of the package, put in the battery and it immediately went off and would not shut off.  He fiddled with it a bit, taking the battery in an out a few times.  Disgusted, he grabbed the receipt and headed back to the story to get a replacement unit that worked.

WOW!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I believe it's the landlord's responsibility to provide the detector.  However, the tenant usually has some responsibility in ensuring it is functioning.  Not sure what the current NYS/NYC rules are.

At least Trump didn't personally lobby the government to be exempted from fire safety rules such as this, using cronyism to skimp on safety.... oh wait..

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Donald-Trump-once-lobbied-against-fire-sprinklers-12817308.php

http://www.standard.net/National/2018/04/09/Donald-Trump-once-lobbied-against-fire-sprinklers-in-existing-New-York-high-rises-including-Trump-Tower

Offline thackney

WOW!

Yep, should have spent a little time the first time, looking around the house.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
Yep, should have spent a little time the first time, looking around the house.

No kidding.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

Now that is funny right there.  I don't care who you are!
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I'm pretty certain, the rules/laws/regulations on this, very from city to county to state across the fruited plains.

In SoCal, one town might have a city inspection (including mainly safety concerns) upon change of ownership. But no further inspections until the next change of ownership.

Newport Beach, for example. the major concern in this wealthy area, is "bootlegs" rentals which generate money for owner, but create parking issues for neighbors, and unruly short term renters.

There are state laws about smoke and CO2 alarm devices, but no official inspections. Sellers and buyers agree on a contract that they were disclosed relevant information. A buyer might stipulate that all safety items get installed as conditions of closing the sale.

I am not aware of jurisdictions which have any records along those lines. However they are fully up to speed for collecting any taxes.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline thackney

I'm pretty certain, the rules/laws/regulations on this, very from city to county to state across the fruited plains....

NYC requires the owner to provide CO and smoke detector but the resident has some responsibility to maintain battery, working order and provide notice if not working.

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/owners/Smoke-carbon-monoxide-detectors.page

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
NYC requires the owner to provide CO and smoke detector but the resident has some responsibility to maintain battery, working order and provide notice if not working.

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/owners/Smoke-carbon-monoxide-detectors.page

Yeah, that's the way I remember it but I haven't lived up there in over 20 years.