Author Topic: Evidence Shows Students Still Learn More Effectively From Print Textbooks Than Screens  (Read 352 times)

rangerrebew

Evidence Shows Students Still Learn More Effectively From Print Textbooks Than Screens

Print's not dead.
PATRICIA A. ALEXANDER AND LAUREN M. SINGER TRAKHMAN, THE CONVERSATION
8 APR 2018

Today's students see themselves as digital natives, the first generation to grow up surrounded by technology like smartphones, tablets and e-readers.

Teachers, parents and policymakers certainly acknowledge the growing influence of technology and have responded in kind. We've seen more investment in classroom technologies, with students now equipped with school-issued iPads and access to e-textbooks.

https://www.sciencealert.com/do-students-learn-better-from-screens-or-print-textbooks-science-education

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I find this to be true for me.  I wonder if children will adapt or we will continue to use real books.

Offline dfwgator

I find this to be true for me.  I wonder if children will adapt or we will continue to use real books.

Also, real books can't be altered to fit the whims of the current rulers.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Our local High School has gone to electronic texts, but has placed the onus for purchasing the device on the parents. Now that they aren't spending all that money on print texts, why did they want another $87 million in bond issues? The school is brand new. (That measure was DEFEATED at the polls, but I expect it will keep coming up until they can slip it through).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis