Author Topic: Mustang hits 150 mph on I-70 in Colorado; police stand down  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Mustang hits 150 mph on I-70 in Colorado; police stand down
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 04:28:34 pm »
@Frank Cannon

I may be having a senior moment,but IIRC,it was AMC/Rambler that bought out Studebaker and turned them into crap cars. Although to be fair,the Rambler was actually a MUCH nicer car than most people thought.  Romney killed off Studebaker and killed off AMC,also,by turning them into basic cars that were sold as "practical cars your grandfather would love" in a market going to flash and speed.

BTW,Lowery designed the 53 Studebaker,which is considered by many to be a timeless classic. Before Romney took over,Stude was dressing up their cars and offering things like automatic transmissions in 1951 and OHV V-8 engines in 48 or 49. The 51 Stude used the same Borg-Warner automatic transmission as the 51 Ford. The 56 to early 60's Silver Hawks and Golden Hawks would FLY. The Silver Hawks could be had with a 289 Stude V-8 with 2 4brl carbs,and the Golden Hawk could be had with the 352 cubic inch Packard V-8 two four barrel carbs,or 2 4barrel carbs with Paxton superchargers. Romney hated that stuff and never promoted it. He thought he was still selling refrigerators,and wanted to make and sell them cheap.

Or at least that was what I was told by people when I asked what happened to Studebaker in the 60's.

@sneakypete

You are thinking of Packabaker. Studebaker took over the Packard name in the late 50's and made some of the rarest and most interesting rides until it was ended.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2018, 06:21:46 pm »
1958 Packard Hawk

This is a very good article from Hemmings
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2006/01/Altered-to-Fit---1958-Packard-Hawk/1281797.html

Studebaker, not having the money available to actually put out 'new' full sized models towards the end repeatedly redesigned and built on the 53' Starliner base.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 08:17:46 pm »

Studebaker, not having the money available to actually put out 'new' full sized models towards the end repeatedly redesigned and built on the 53' Starliner base.

They did recycle the platform, but they still pumped out cool stuff and it was a great platform to begin with. Hell, GM used the X platform for the Citations in the late 70's and all the way through to 1996 on the Century and Ciera. They just called it the A platform in '82 because of some lawsuits involving the X.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 10:47:02 pm »
sneakypete wrote:
"BTW,Lowery designed the 53 Studebaker,which is considered by many to be a timeless classic"

I never got to drive a Studebaker.

But another Lowey design (what he really did was an external "makeover" of the exterior) that I -did- get to drive was this (also now considered to be "a classic"):

Including this very engine, 4935, which is now on display, I believe it's down at the Strasburg railroad museum in Pennsylvania.

I never got to run 'em very far -- just around New Haven Motor Storage when I was younger. By the time I got promoted, they had been retired between New York and New Haven...

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 10:53:36 pm »

Including this very engine, 4935, which is now on display, I believe it's down at the Strasburg railroad museum in Pennsylvania.

I never got to run 'em very far -- just around New Haven Motor Storage when I was younger. By the time I got promoted, they had been retired between New York and New Haven...

Strasburg is supposedly the oldest operating rail yard in the world.

Online corbe

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2018, 12:08:58 am »
    Back at Headquarters.

! No longer available
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.