Author Topic: Mustang hits 150 mph on I-70 in Colorado; police stand down  (Read 2285 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Mustang hits 150 mph on I-70 in Colorado; police stand down
« on: April 02, 2018, 07:17:12 pm »
April 2, 2018, 11:28 am
by Justin King

The "older-model" Mustang was going too fast for state troopers to get a look at its license plate.
A Mustang driver has successfully eluded police after a brief chase on Interstate 70 in Colorado.

State troopers clocked the older-model Mustang going 140 mph approximately 10 miles west of Glenwood Springs, entering an area with relatively tight highway curves, according to a Denver Post report.

Troopers initially pursued the vehicle, however the driver accelerated to 150 mph rather than slowing down. Police consequently called off the chase.

"It's extremely reckless, especially with people who haven't been trained to drive at those speeds," said Colorado State Patrol spokesman Gary Cooper.

Police never got close enough to catch a glimpse of the Mustang's license plate.

https://www.leftlanenews.com/mustang-hits-150-mph-on-i-70-in-colorado-police-stand-down-100224.html
How does Office Gary Cooper know he was not a highly trained driver?     

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Mustang hits 150 mph on I-70 in Colorado; police stand down
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 07:44:09 pm »
Meh. Been there, done that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 07:46:16 pm »
"It's extremely reckless, especially with people who haven't been trained to drive at those speeds," said Colorado State Patrol spokesman Gary Cooper.

Looks like the State Patrol in that state needs some training then since this guy left you in the dust.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 08:07:50 pm »
"What do you say? Is it the new Bluesmobile or what?"

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 08:23:00 pm »
Meh. Been there, done that.

Nothing better than red-and-blue fading away in the rear-view mirror...
 888high58888

Offline Millee

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 08:28:56 pm »
Surprised the traffic was light enough for him to get that much speed. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 10:27:12 pm »

Looks like the State Patrol in that state needs some training then since this guy left you in the dust.

@Frank Cannon

I think it was probably more related to their tires than anything else. AFIAK,nobody makes street legal tires rated to be safe at speeds of 150 MPH.

And 150 MPH is no big deal anymore. One car magazine took a stock Impala SS 4dr sedan out on a highway blocked off by state police in the mid-80's,and ran a legitimate 203 MPH in it,leather seats,stereo and the air-conditioner running. All they did to it was change the chip in the engine computer so it wouldn't shut down at 110 MPH.

I probably went close to 150 MPH on a 2 lane highway in my 69 428 Cobra Jet Torino in 1969. I was going too fast to really be able to take the time to look right at the speedometer,but from the corner of my eye the needle seemed to be to the left of 90 degrees at the bottom. And that was on regular nylon tires.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:28:15 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 10:31:57 pm »
@Frank Cannon

I think it was probably more related to their tires than anything else. AFIAK,nobody makes street legal tires rated to be safe at speeds of 150 MPH.

And 150 MPH is no big deal anymore. One car magazine took a stock Impala SS 4dr sedan out on a highway blocked off by state police in the mid-80's,and ran a legitimate 203 MPH in it,leather seats,stereo and the air-conditioner running. All they did to it was change the chip in the engine computer so it wouldn't shut down at 110 MPH.

I probably went close to 150 MPH on a 2 lane highway in my 69 428 Cobra Jet Torino in 1969. I was going too fast to really be able to take the time to look right at the speedometer,but from the corner of my eye the needle seemed to be to the left of 90 degrees at the bottom. And that was on regular nylon tires.

I had my 560SEL up to 140 in Canada going from Niagara to Toronto years ago and I think the tires were rated for it. I was running Michelins on my German cars back then.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 10:56:31 pm »
Back in the day you could run laps at TMS.  My 99 WS6 would hit 140-145 in the straits no problem.  The braver fellows said the gas shut-off for the LS1v8 would shut the car down at 161. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 12:09:44 am »
Back in the day you could run laps at TMS.  My 99 WS6 would hit 140-145 in the straits no problem.  The braver fellows said the gas shut-off for the LS1v8 would shut the car down at 161.

@Wingnut   @Frank Cannon

It was probably over 10 years ago,maybe even 20 years ago I read a news story about a guy on a Jap superbike in Holland that had removed the rpm limiting chip and decided to open it up on one of those long,straight roads. The police estimate he was probably  going over 180 MPH when he spotted the VW Rabbit that was trying to cross the road and hit the brakes. Which was,of course,a waste of time at that speed. He killed the driver and passenger when the bike ALMOST penetrated the other side of the car after going completely though the driver side. They made the estimate from where the skid marks started and where the bike stopped inside the VW,figuring reaction time and how far sideways the bike moved the car when it hit it.

And of course the bike had such a narrow profile and was traveling at such a high speed I doubt the people in the VW even saw it coming.

I had a friend that had one of the V-6 Honda bikes back then,and he told me there was a speek limiter chip on that one,too. He also had a Honda drag bike and was into speed,but he told me he had only ran the Honda street bike up to around 145 or so before backing off because "there is just too much happening too quickly at that speed,and no such thing as stopping or swerving to avoid hitting something."

There really are some things that should only be done on a closed track after walking the track to make sure there is no debris of any kind laying around.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 12:16:46 am »
@sneakypete

FOD and stray animals can and will always ruin a speed run.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 12:17:46 am »

140 in a production sedan had me with white knuckles and upright in the seat and my Benz is set up for that type of speed. I don't think I could do better than that. 161 is getting close to super car speed.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 12:28:01 am »
140 in a production sedan had me with white knuckles and upright in the seat and my Benz is set up for that type of speed. I don't think I could do better than that. 161 is getting close to super car speed.

The LT1 w/ opti-spark in your wagon could hit 145.   Given enough road do to the poor aerodynamics!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 12:39:27 am »
The LT1 w/ opti-spark in your wagon could hit 145.   Given enough road do to the poor aerodynamics!

I've got it up to 120 before it started roaring and giving me some shudder. I might be able to squeeze more out of it with better tires and some other dialing, but 120 in that wagon was 10mph past my comfort zone for that vehicle.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 02:23:01 am »
I had my 560SEL up to 140 in Canada going from Niagara to Toronto years ago and I think the tires were rated for it. I was running Michelins on my German cars back then.
Canada, eh, so was that 150 KPH? Just kidding.........hey put the bat down, I said I was kidding!

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 03:09:04 am »
Don't laugh, fastest I ever drove was 120+ (it maxed speedmeter at 120) in a 1976 Caprice Classic Station Wagon (yep 4 door)... Scared the crap out of me, never went anywhere near that fast again. Did get my Honda Goldwing 1200 up over 100 once, same affect. Not a speed freak.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 03:14:03 am »
this thread needs tunes...

! No longer available

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 03:34:05 am »
Don't laugh, fastest I ever drove was 120+ (it maxed speedmeter at 120) in a 1976 Caprice Classic Station Wagon (yep 4 door)... Scared the crap out of me, never went anywhere near that fast again. Did get my Honda Goldwing 1200 up over 100 once, same affect. Not a speed freak.

I have a '74 Caprice Estate with a the first HEI 400 and the optional 4 barrel. I have had that to a little over a 100 and it was frighting as hell. The steering is so vague and unresponsive it was dumb luck it didn't careen off the highway with a sharp gust of wind.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 04:43:39 am »
I had a 1963 Studebaker GT Hawk in high school, it had the Avanti R1 drivetrain. One night a friend and I were driving down to San Diego for the hell of it, back then the freeways were pretty empty after midnight, I had just got it up to 125 when I saw a car coming up fast in my rear view mirror, thinking it was CHP I backed off the accelerator and an Avanti blew past me so I just got off the freeway and turned around to go home, it just didn't seem as fun after that.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 04:49:45 am »
I had a 1963 Studebaker GT Hawk in high school, it had the Avanti R1 drivetrain. One night a friend and I were driving down to San Diego for the hell of it, back then the freeways were pretty empty after midnight, I had just got it up to 125 when I saw a car coming up fast in my rear view mirror, thinking it was CHP I backed off the accelerator and an Avanti blew past me so I just got off the freeway and turned around to go home, it just didn't seem as fun after that.

Drove an R2 Avanti once. It was damn impressive performance for the early 60's. Studebaker knew how to build a car. Too bad they didn't know how to balance their books.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 05:19:43 am »
Drove an R2 Avanti once. It was damn impressive performance for the early 60's. Studebaker knew how to build a car. Too bad they didn't know how to balance their books.
Yeah it was sad, almost as sad as being a fan of an orphan car company, at least when I was high school I could still get factory parts at Frost&French the Studebaker dealer in L.A. aain 1963 the Avanti was the worlds fastest car at 168.2MPH, between 64' and 66 the worlds speed record was 171 MPH and held by a Ferrari and Lamborghini so thats saying something for Studebaker. Of course these records are for production model cars.
http://www.curbside.tv/blog/2016/9/25/studebaker-avanti-40-days-to-world-speed-record
This reminds me the annual Memorial Day Studebaker  show is coming up so I can go drool at the cars. Four years ago I had to sell another 63 Hawk maybe the guy will have it there. Dang it, now I'm depressed!

Offline Blizzardnh

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 09:09:32 am »

@Frank Cannon

Wasn't the final death blow administered by a guy named Romney that killed production on all the cars they had that were interesting and attractive to the typical new car buyer,and focusing on plain jane econoboxes?

Plus,the Big Three had a decades long conspiracy going to offer below market trade in's on Studes traded in for a Ford,GM,or Mopar. That didn't help,either.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 12:27:47 pm »
@Frank Cannon

Wasn't the final death blow administered by a guy named Romney that killed production on all the cars they had that were interesting and attractive to the typical new car buyer,and focusing on plain jane econoboxes?

Plus,the Big Three had a decades long conspiracy going to offer below market trade in's on Studes traded in for a Ford,GM,or Mopar. That didn't help,either.

No. Romney was Rambler and his push for small cars that housewives could drive is probably what kept AMC alive for as long as it was. Studebaker bankrupted themselves developing one of the most revolutionary cars of the era....the Avanti. The funny part is that Sherwood Egbert the president of Studebaker thought it would make the company a real player. People don't know this but Raymond Lowey was responsible for a lot of the Studes cool designs including the Avanti.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 03:22:59 pm »
No. Romney was Rambler and his push for small cars that housewives could drive is probably what kept AMC alive for as long as it was. Studebaker bankrupted themselves developing one of the most revolutionary cars of the era....the Avanti. The funny part is that Sherwood Egbert the president of Studebaker thought it would make the company a real player. People don't know this but Raymond Lowey was responsible for a lot of the Studes cool designs including the Avanti.

@Frank Cannon

I may be having a senior moment,but IIRC,it was AMC/Rambler that bought out Studebaker and turned them into crap cars. Although to be fair,the Rambler was actually a MUCH nicer car than most people thought.  Romney killed off Studebaker and killed off AMC,also,by turning them into basic cars that were sold as "practical cars your grandfather would love" in a market going to flash and speed.

BTW,Lowery designed the 53 Studebaker,which is considered by many to be a timeless classic. Before Romney took over,Stude was dressing up their cars and offering things like automatic transmissions in 1951 and OHV V-8 engines in 48 or 49. The 51 Stude used the same Borg-Warner automatic transmission as the 51 Ford. The 56 to early 60's Silver Hawks and Golden Hawks would FLY. The Silver Hawks could be had with a 289 Stude V-8 with 2 4brl carbs,and the Golden Hawk could be had with the 352 cubic inch Packard V-8 two four barrel carbs,or 2 4barrel carbs with Paxton superchargers. Romney hated that stuff and never promoted it. He thought he was still selling refrigerators,and wanted to make and sell them cheap.

Or at least that was what I was told by people when I asked what happened to Studebaker in the 60's.