Author Topic: After Confederate statue controversy, cities move to tear down monuments seen as offensive to Native  (Read 500 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Outrage from Native American activists and their supporters has led a liberal California city closer to tearing down what they considered an offensive monument — to President William McKinley.

It’s the latest in a string of moves to scrap monuments decried as offensive to Native Americans — coming after the nationwide controversy over statues of Confederate leaders.

The activists in Arcata, Calif., some 280 miles north of San Francisco, wanted the city’s 8½-foot bronze statue of McKinley taken down because they said the 25th president of the United States was a proponent of “settler colonialism” that “savaged, raped and killed,” the Seventh Generation Fund for Indigenous People told The Los Angeles Times.

[excerpted]

As expected...next it will be crosses and grave markers in National Cemeteries.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I believe it. I know of a park where a "cigar store" type Indian statue was taken down.  Again, that might have been a bit different.

Crazy Horse memorial in SD, surely, they don't mean these kinds of statues.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
They're really going to love Indianapolis.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.