Author Topic: An Olympic Medalist's Mental Recipe for Success  (Read 433 times)

rangerrebew

An Olympic Medalist's Mental Recipe for Success
« on: April 02, 2018, 12:58:50 pm »

An Olympic Medalist's Mental Recipe for Success
Distance runner Deena Kastor opens up about overcoming rejection, the importance of community and more.

By Greg Chertok , Contributor |March 29, 2018, at 10:26 a.m.

"It is much smarter, in my mind, to add challenge to running in order to shape my resilience and perspective than to add it to life in general," Deena Kastor says. (Getty Images)

It’s easy to put athletes on a pedestal, to regard them as super-human beings with super-human bodies. But even superior athletes face setbacks, doubts and worries. I know because, last year, I had the chance to get to know Deena Kastor while consulting on her new book, "Let Your Mind Run." Kastor, who's 45 years old and lives in Mammoth Lakes, California, earned the bronze for the women's marathon in the 2004 Olympics, holds the American women's record for the marathon and is one of the most decorated female runners in American history.

Here are some lightly edited excerpts from our recent conversation about the challenges she's faced and how she's overcome them. You'll be surprised at how her insight can apply to you:

https://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/articles/2018-03-29/an-olympic-medalists-mental-recipe-for-success