Author Topic: California calls coffee 'cancerous'; Judge Demands Starbucks carry warning labels.  (Read 645 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: AMERICAN THINKER

URL: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/03/junk_science_california_calls_coffee_cancerous.html

by Monica Showalter

People have been enjoying and drinking coffee for thousands of years and recent health studies suggest it's rather good for you, but now, all of a sudden, the State of California claims it has "science" to support the notion that coffee causes cancer.

That's why some numbskull judge ruled that now all coffee must carry warning labels, same as dreaded, dangerous, cigarettes, warning everyone of cancer and attempting to get at least some people to stop. Can you say: 'judiciary out of control?'

Associated Press reports:

A Los Angeles judge has determined that coffee companies must carry an ominous cancer warning label because of a chemical produced in the roasting process.

Superior Court Judge Elihu Berle said Wednesday that Starbucks and other companies failed to show that benefits from drinking coffee outweighed any risks. He ruled in an earlier phase of trial that companies hadn’t shown the threat from the chemical was insignificant.

The Council for Education and Research on Toxics, a nonprofit group, sued Starbucks and 90 other companies under a state law that requires warnings on a wide range of chemicals that can cause cancer. One is acrylamide, a carcinogen present in coffee.

What this activist suit and consequent judicial overreach represent is a sort of medicalization of food, nanny-state-style, as if food itself were some sort of toxic medicine, full of side effects, instead of a combination of risks and rewards, all ameliorated by moderation of use. And this judicial order to label coffee as cancerous is hideously disproportionate - the same sorts of carcinogens criticized in the coffee roasting process found in minute quantities can also be found in roasted peppers and bacon, too.\

(Excerpt) Read more at above link ...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 02:36:39 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Yeah, kind of a misleading headline, wasn't California, just another out of control nutcase in a black robe and they are in every single state.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Does anyone realy care what Cali does anymore?  I mean seriously.  The state is so Fugged up... it is a lost cause.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline dfwgator

Must have been "Conquistador Coffee".....

! No longer available

Offline goatprairie

How the h*ll does a judge get to decide what a private business should put on its merchandise?  These activist leftist judges have to be slapped down.   ****slapping
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 01:21:03 am by goatprairie »

Offline thackney

The only thing they will accomplish is to teach more people to ignore such type of warnings.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Oceander

How the h*ll does a judge get to decide what a private business should put on its merchandise?  These activist leftist judges have to slapped down.   ****slapping

Because the judge determined that the companies were violating California law by not having such warnings.  It’s not just some numbskull judge, it’s a numbskull state. 

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Because the judge determined that the companies were violating California law by not having such warnings.  It’s not just some numbskull judge, it’s a numbskull state.

He is right.  Cali passed a stupid law  "Proposition 65" back in 86 then amended it in 03 to include every known substance on the planet.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline DB

He is right.  Cali passed a stupid law  "Proposition 65" back in 86 then amended it in 03 to include every known substance on the planet.

Yielding it meaningless... Kind of like what they did to the word racist...