Author Topic: Pope Francis: 'There Is No Hell'  (Read 8136 times)

Offline DB

Pope Francis: 'There Is No Hell'
« on: March 29, 2018, 06:39:46 pm »
By Michael W. Chapman | March 29, 2018 | 10:45 AM EDT

In another interview with his longtime atheist friend, Eugenio Scalfari, Pope Francis claims that Hell does not exist and that condemned souls just "disappear." This is a denial of the 2,000-year-old teaching of the Catholic Church about the reality of Hell and the eternal existence of the soul.

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/pope-francis-there-no-hell
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:43:01 pm by DB »

Offline DB

Re: Pope Francis: 'There Is No Hell'
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 06:41:01 pm »
Last Pope?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 06:41:57 pm »
Kinda negates the point of his existence.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 06:43:01 pm »
@DB  Got a link?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 06:43:22 pm »
I want Benedict back.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline DB

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 06:43:31 pm »
@DB  Got a link?

I just posted it... Sorry about that...

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 06:54:32 pm »
Like most Leftist politicians (which is what he is in reality), he says a thing and then backs down when there is blowback. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't say this, at least not in this context. I don't know?

So what were all those 'indulgences' about?

There are many definitions of what hell is in various religions. Maybe he was saying that there is no hell as it is commonly defined by the Christian religion.

If he actually said this and meant it, the logical corollary would be that there is no heaven as well. If there is no heaven and no hell, then there is no God to worry about and the whole thing is pointless.

Strangest Pope ever. He seems to be trying to work his way out of his own job.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:54:51 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DB

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 07:02:58 pm »
I believe this Pope is evil. Period.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 07:08:01 pm »
I was debating about posting this since it is headline news on Drudge.....fair warning if this turns into an attack on the Catholic faith I will shut it down.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 07:15:27 pm »
Like most Leftist politicians (which is what he is in reality), he says a thing and then backs down when there is blowback. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't say this, at least not in this context. I don't know?

So what were all those 'indulgences' about?

There are many definitions of what hell is in various religions. Maybe he was saying that there is no hell as it is commonly defined by the Christian religion.

If he actually said this and meant it, the logical corollary would be that there is no heaven as well. If there is no heaven and no hell, then there is no God to worry about and the whole thing is pointless.

Strangest Pope ever. He seems to be trying to work his way out of his own job.

Hell is described in the OT.  Christians merely use what had already been described.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 07:24:03 pm »
The Pope today: "There is no Hell"

The Pope tomorrow:  "There is no Christ - only Muhammed".
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 07:30:11 pm »
Hell is described in the OT.  Christians merely use what had already been described.

I cannot respond to this post because that would make this a religious thread and those are not allowed here. The thread would be locked or pulled immediately.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 07:31:24 pm »

I cannot respond to this post because that would make this a religious thread and those are not allowed here. The thread would be locked or pulled immediately.

Sorry, that was wrong of me. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 07:31:36 pm »
:2popcorn:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 07:31:57 pm »
I'll say only that there are far too many Protestants who would agree with him.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 07:37:25 pm »
.....fair warning if this turns into an attack on the Catholic faith I will shut it down.

Didn't you hear the Pontiff? There is no Catholic faith anymore. It's an arm of the social justice movement now.

Easter has been cancelled by the Pope so that resources can be better spent on Earth Day.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 07:41:11 pm »
Jesus mentions it once in the New Testament as well: the parable of the man sent to Hell after he died, and wants to warn his friends, but is denied because they won't listen.

Paul, on the other hand, seems to imply Hell is on Earth and death for sinners is total death.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 07:41:21 pm »
Sorry, that was wrong of me.

No, not at all. It's not you, it's me. I could write several paragraphs on your point, and this is not the place for that. I had to check myself that I don't get carried away. LOL

! No longer available
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 07:44:52 pm by 240B »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 07:52:47 pm »
Last Pope?

I think it is according to St. Malachi
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 07:56:59 pm »
Jesus mentions it once in the New Testament as well: the parable of the man sent to Hell after he died, and wants to warn his friends, but is denied because they won't listen.

Paul, on the other hand, seems to imply Hell is on Earth and death for sinners is total death.

Jesus mentions it multiple times. It is mentioned in 3 Gospels. Matthew 5:22, 5:29, 10:28, 18:9, 23:33, Mark 9:47,Luke 10:15, 12:5
 For instance: And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 07:58:46 pm »
I was debating about posting this since it is headline news on Drudge.....fair warning if this turns into an attack on the Catholic faith I will shut it down.

I love being a Catholic.  I don't feel the same about this Pope.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 08:04:07 pm »
There are three words translated into the English word 'hell' in scripture.

In the Old Testament, the Hebrew word is sheol - which means 'grave' or hole in the ground.

In the Greek, the words are hades, which has the same meaning as sheol (unless you are referencing the Greek god of the underworld),  Tartarus - which is used only once in 2 Peter 2:4-6 and is in reference to Satan and demons being in a place of outer darkness reserved for judgement, and Gehenna - which was a literal place in Jerusalem where garbage was thrown and burned day and night.

From a theological view, nearly all Bible-Believing Christians acknowledge a lake of fire or 'Gehenna' as Jesus ascribes it - where Satan and Death and the Wicked who are not Written in the Book of Life are cast into (Revelation 20).

The debate is usually over whether being cast into that Gehenna is a permanent existence in burning misery for all eternity, or the cessation of life and consciousness for all eternity: aka the Second Death.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:05:01 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 08:21:50 pm »
The Hebrew word for hell is גֵיהִנוֹם (gehenom). The Hebrew word for a grave is קבר (kevar).

Sheol apparently is 'the underworld' which could be translated to hell, but more of the Greek version of hell.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:35:38 pm by 240B »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 08:28:33 pm »

Is the Pope Catholic?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 08:37:14 pm »

Not even a short peep about how the Pope is now a "Really Happy" "Comrade"  alternative "Kingdom Hall frequenter"?
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....