Author Topic: Tax cuts, Round 2: GOP looks to punish Democrats in 2018  (Read 867 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Tax cuts, Round 2: GOP looks to punish Democrats in 2018
« on: March 28, 2018, 03:44:54 pm »
 Tax cuts, Round 2: GOP looks to punish Democrats in 2018

‘It’s the tax pony, and that’s the only horse they have to ride,’ says one top Democrat.

By BURGESS EVERETT and RACHAEL BADE

03/27/2018 06:08 PM EDT

Republicans are dreaming of passing another round of tax cuts this year — or at least making vulnerable Democrats squirm by voting against them.

GOP leaders are weighing a series of votes to make last year’s temporary tax cuts for individuals permanent, according to Republicans in both chambers. The strategy would portray the party as the guardian of Americans’ paychecks, Republicans say, and buoy the GOP during a brutal election year.

Republicans argue they win regardless of whether it culminates with a Rose Garden ceremony: Either Democrats support the legislation, giving the GOP a major legislative accomplishment in its scramble to save its majorities. Or, more likely, Democrats block the bill — allowing Republicans to paint them as opponents of the middle class.

more
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/27/tax-cuts-gop-2018-midterms-482158
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Tax cuts, Round 2: GOP looks to punish Democrats in 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 03:50:13 pm »
This is a solid move.  They had to make them temporary the first time around to comply with the reconciliation rules.  Otherwise, they'd have needed 60 votes in the Senate.

But now, they can do a stand-alone bill based solely around making those individual cuts permanent.  It will still need 60 votes, but there will be political prices to pay for many democrats who vote against it.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 05:43:42 pm »
If the House passes tax cuts with lots of rat votes, then the bill gets stalled in the Senate, the rats can say "I voted for tax cuts," even though nothing passed.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 05:49:49 pm »
The H with this so-called tax reform, part 2.  How about trashing the whole system and replacing it with a fair or flat tax? 

This taxpayer got zero out of the first set of "cuts."  Making those cuts permanent isn't helping me at all. 

As far as I'm concerned, so-called tax reform is just another broken campaign promise from the Republicans.  I'm not fooled into thinking they didn't lie to the voters on this issue too. 

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 06:48:22 pm »
Because radical tax reform will only happen with a super-majority of conservatives and that's not going to happen.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 07:08:30 pm »
If the House passes tax cuts with lots of rat votes, then the bill gets stalled in the Senate, the rats can say "I voted for tax cuts," even though nothing passed.

True -- but the Dems in the Senate won't have that easy an out.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 07:46:00 pm »
The H with this so-called tax reform, part 2.  How about trashing the whole system and replacing it with a fair or flat tax? 

This taxpayer got zero out of the first set of "cuts."  Making those cuts permanent isn't helping me at all. 

As far as I'm concerned, so-called tax reform is just another broken campaign promise from the Republicans.  I'm not fooled into thinking they didn't lie to the voters on this issue too.

WE got the CEOs of global Corporations following Trump back to the WH (from Davos) to tell him They were bringing Billions of Investment Capital and Jobs to America for his knocking the CONSUMPTION TAX (called the Corp Income Tax) from 35% down to 21%.

Let's pray we can take another bite out of that 'Make The Rich Pay Their Fair Share' load of Bollocks this time.

We got China quaking in its boots with the road map to our defunding Their domination of Their sphere of influence.

We got that horse's rear end in North Korea on the ropes, with 6 Defense Intel Agencies laying hardware to destroy his entire Command and Control Network through us going after it with Cyber War.

I prefer to see the benefits of Round 1 through the lens of a slightly longer time line.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 07:46:44 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 08:11:27 pm »
How can allowing people more of their money to remain in their pockets ever be considered 'punishment'?

Only if a government has created a system of dependency can it be so.

Let the tax cuts begin and freedom ring in.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 08:46:45 pm »

Those that get little or no benefit from the recent tax cuts, probably live in higher tax locations, in which case other lower tax states have been providing a subsidy, to the higher tax states.

The logical solution for higher tax states, is toreduce their state taxes.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln