Author Topic: Trump signs away 4th Amendment- US Congress Passes CLOUD Act Hidden in Budget Spending Bill  (Read 1010 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
This is going to piss everyone off. Way in the back of the spending bill was a new law, the Cloud Act. Instead of voting on it as a stand-alone law, because they knew it would blow up and people would fight against it, they added it as a rider in the spending bill. This bill basically eliminates data privacy and even allows foreign entities access to US data. It also wipes out the need to get a warrant for your personal data. Translated, goodbye 4th Amendment.

And the President just signed this monster.

The United States Congress passed late last night a $1.3 trillion budget spending bill that also contained a piece of legislation that allows internal and foreign law enforcement access to user data stored online without a search warrant or probable cause.
The legislation is the Clarifying Lawful Overseas Use of Data Act (CLOUD Act), a bill proposed in mid-February, this year (S. 2383 and H.R. 4943)......

....What is the CLOUD Act?
The unaltered and now official CLOUD Act effectively gets rid of the need for search warrants and probable cause for grabbing a US citizen's data stored online.
US police only need to point the finger at some account, and tech companies must abide and provide all the needed details, regardless if the data is stored in the US or overseas.
Further, the bill recognizes foreign law enforcement and allows the US President to sign data-sharing agreements with other countries without congressional oversight. ......

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/government/us-congress-passes-cloud-act-hidden-in-budget-spending-bill/

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 01:49:51 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
This is something CIA Director and soon to be Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has wanted for a long time.  It'll be difficult for the admin to sell the 'Trump was tricked because the bill was too big' line.  They'd be foolish to try it, especially when Trump has praised their similar thinking on security.

CIA Nominee Pompeo Put on Defense Over Data-Gathering and Russia

Representative Mike Pompeo was put on the defensive about his previous stances on surveillance and intelligence collection as he sought to reassure senators that he can shift from outspoken policymaker to objective spy chief if confirmed as President-elect Donald Trump’s CIA director.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-12/trump-s-cia-nominee-seeks-to-reassure-senate-he-ll-be-objective

Rep. Mike Pompeo wants to revive mass surveillance program

A Kansas lawmaker wants the nation’s spies to get back their access to mass surveillance data that allowed the federal government to track communications of potential terrorists.

And that’s not all: U.S. Rep. Mike Pompeo, a Republican from Wichita, says that eventually he wants the National Security Agency to be able to restart its bulk collection of metadata and combine those records with even more information: financial and “lifestyle” details that would be accessible in a huge, searchable database.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/national-security/article56869248.html
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 02:04:19 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jpsb

You are not very bright if you store personal data in the "cloud".

Offline ABX

You are not very bright if you store personal data in the "cloud".

If you use a bank, your personal data is stored on the cloud.

If you shop online, your personal data is stored on the cloud.

If you are on social media, your personal data is stored on the cloud.

If you use a smartphone, your personal data is stored on the cloud.

You don't have to physically put it on a cloud server yourself because everything you do online, and many things offline, are now stored as data in the cloud.

The fact you are online now means your personal data is on the cloud. And probably a lot more than you think.

Offline jpsb

If you use a bank, your personal data is stored on the cloud.

If you shop online, your personal data is stored on the cloud.

If you are on social media, your personal data is stored on the cloud.

If you use a smartphone, your personal data is stored on the cloud.

You don't have to physically put it on a cloud server yourself because everything you do online, and many things offline, are now stored as data in the cloud.

The fact you are online now means your personal data is on the cloud. And probably a lot more than you think.

I seriously doubt my bank stores my accounts records on any thing other then their servers.

I never put personal info on "social media" and I refuse to use a "smart phone".

I have been "on line" for a long time and realize what you put "on line" never goes away.

Offline ABX

I seriously doubt my bank stores my accounts records on any thing other then their servers.

I never put personal info on "social media" and I refuse to use a "smart phone".

I have been "on line" for a long time and realize what you put "on line" never goes away.

Most major banks have moved to cloud storage as have most major companies. AWS services a vast majority of the major US Banks. I also know from experience that many credit unions and telecommunications companies are now using AWS- and that's just counting AWS, not all the other big cloud services.

http://fortune.com/2016/02/25/yes-banks-do-use-aws/

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
@AbaraXas  I'm so glad you shared this!  My husband the data guy is incredibly upset about it.  It really does affect everyone.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
If you do not already encrypt you information BEFORE you store it on the cloud, then you are behind the times.

Online DB

Think again:

http://fortune.com/2016/02/25/yes-banks-do-use-aws/

Offline Frank Cannon

And the President just signed this monster.

If you think that is bad, Trump also signed the contract for a Columbia House subscription......

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
If you think that is bad, Trump also signed the contract for a Columbia House subscription......

BWAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAAHAHAAAA!  :mauslaff: :mauslaff:
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775