Author Topic: Former Supreme Court justice: ‘Repeal the Second Amendment’  (Read 53386 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Former Supreme Court justice: ‘Repeal the Second Amendment’
« Reply #650 on: April 06, 2018, 04:07:41 pm »
I have repeatedly asked you to provide those examples where registration has not led to confiscation. Numerous examples, foreign and domestic exist which refute that concept and show that registration ultimately leads to confiscation of privately held firearms. So, Have at it. Let's have that list of MANY instances where it hasn't (yet).

The Second Amendment exists for the sole purpose of keeping the right OF THE PEOPLE  to keep and bear arms free of government interference, because its purpose was to ensure that the people retained their power by being capable of altering or abolishing that government if it became abusive and it became necessary. In the 18th century, the carrying and possession of arms for other lawful purposes such as self defense and hunting was a given, so universally understood there was no need to codify such. it was, after all "common sense". (As John Prine put it, "Common sense ain't so common any more.")

In the federalist Papers, it is laid out in the discussion of the standing federal Army, that while each State had its own army (Militia, in the parlance of the day), the Federal Army should be large enough to defend our States' mutual borders, to intervene in military conflicts between any of the several states, but small enough as to not be able to overwhelm the combined efforts of all of the states. While much of that structure was changed due to the War of Northern Aggression, the principle remained that that Federal Army (or any of the States' armies) would be held in check from becoming instruments of tyrannical oppression by the sheer force of arms which could be mustered by the population at large, which by force of individual arms and overwhelming numbers, even in the absence of martial training, would be enough to deter such attempts at that tyrannical imposition.

For that purpose, the 2nd Amendment was crafted, that the People could regulate (control) the actions of the Government, not vice-versa, and that the government would not interfere with that ability.

All that need be done for the Constitution to act as a bulwark against the slippery slope is to quit greasing that slope with the mindless drivel of those who would disarm us all, for whatever motive, with the inevitable (even if unintended) consequence of totalitarian oppression. Liberals are famous for not thinking things out, for having starry-eyed theories that ignore salient points which inevitably have disastrous and unforeseen (by the liberals) results, when implemented. The social experiment of LBJ's Great Society is a textbook case, if the liberals were honest enough to print it for what it is. There is no reason to believe the loose manure of liberalism will in any way improve upon the traction on the slope of social decline, and the meaning of the Founders and their intent is plain for any who wish to read it.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #651 on: April 06, 2018, 04:10:50 pm »

So the broader issue is whether the Federal Constitution protects un-enumerated as well as enumerated individual rights.

Right -- and the problem is there is absolutely no plausible, remotely objective method for judges to identify those unenumerated rights.

Given that the Federal Government was supposed to be a government of strictly limited, enumerated powers only, it was barred from doing almost everything except those things for which it was granted express authority.  So what are we supposed to do -- assume that everything it couldn't do from day one is an "unenumerated right?", then incorporate them as limitations on the states by the 14th Amendment?  That clearly can't be the right answer, because then states couldn't really do anything.  So what you end up with is judges deciding -- based on nothing more than their own personal morality -- what these unenumerated -- but "fundamental" -- legal rights are.

Whether you agree or not,  the SCOTUS has expanded the Constitution's reach to protect natural rights not enumerated therein.

I don't agree, though I realize that SCOTUS has indeed done that with respect to a relatively few rights in cases I believe were wrongly decided.  But that is no excuse to make a bad situation worse, and encourage the Supreme Court to keep doing the same and inventing even more unenumerated rights as it sees fit.  Because we're starting to see that now with lower courts inventing new "rights" to shut down completely Constitutional actions by the President, simply because they don't like them.  And the very next step -- and we're not far from it at all now -- is for the Supreme Court to start recognizing unenumerated positive rights, like "the right to a college education", the "right to housing" the "right to freedom to cross borders", etc., etc. etc..  And at that point, we'll have lost our Republic, and essentially be ruled by judges rather than by elected representatives.

To me that's a good thing - why should the state forbid a couple from practicing contraception?   And, likewise, why should the state make it impossible for a citizen to have the means to protect his home from intruders?    To me,  the "living Constitution" has expanded the protection of human liberty from encroachment by the state.
And to me, that is an absolutely terrible thing.  It amounts to saying you'd rather have judges deciding what our rights are than...us. 

And honestly, I can't believer you played the Griswold/contraceptive card.  You do realize that case was a complete set-up, right?  That the law wasn't enforced because it wasn't supported by the people anyway, so they had to stage an arrest with a compliant DA to create a court case to challenge the law?  The solution already is built in to our system.  When "the people" truly want to recognize a completely new right, they'll do it via legislation or some other representative means.  What you want is for judges to make up new rights even when most people don't support them.  That is fundamentally undemocratic.

The narrow issue here is whether the individual RKBA is an enumerated or un-enumerated right.   Heller says the former,  and I believe that ruling stands on very fragile ground, and will likely be overruled in future years.   But the right can still be protected as an un-enumerated right.   Will a liberal SCOTUS agree?   That's the risk -

Oh come on.  You can't possibly believe there is any chance in Hades that a liberal SCOTUS would strike down Heller, but then recognize an individual right as an "unenumerated right".  Nobody thinks that is remotely possible -- it is a non-issue.

ETA:  I have to add here that the argument that the individual legal right should be found not in the Second Amendment, but as an "un-enumerated right" is just horrible as a basic matter of legal reasoning.  We already have an Amendment, the Second, that deals squarely with the right to keep and bear arms.  If you're going to assume that the Framers did not intend that Amendment to protect individual gun owners from the federal government, but rather only state militias, then you'd actually be going against their intention by deciding that they really meant to protect that right as an "unenumerated" right.  The Second was the clear place to protect individual gun rights, so if it isn't there (which I think it is), then inventing it out of nothing can't be justified. 

But the process of revoking a statute is very different than overturning a court decision.  The former requires the action of the peoples' elected representatives, who must ultimately account to the voters for their decision.

Striking down Heller doesn't accomplish anything on its own.  You'd still need legislative bodies to pass actual gun control laws.  And the only way those legislative bodies are going to pass those laws is if they are already willing to be accountable to the voters in the passage of those restrictions.  You're literally accomplishing nothing because as soon as they have the votes to pass gun restrictions, they inherently have the votes to overturn/amend your codification of Heller.  Seriously, think about what you're saying here.  Congress isn't going to pass a new gun control law because of the codification of Heller?  That makes zero sense.

And while the codification remains on the books,  it represents a practical check to the behavior of a court,  since most judges recognize their job is to interpret and apply the law, not second-guess political decisions.   

Unless those decisions are about contraception, abortion, immigration, trannies in the military, or any other political decision with which activists judges who believe in a "Living Constitution" happen to disagree.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:06:57 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #652 on: April 06, 2018, 05:42:24 pm »
And what of the facts of all the MANY instances where gun registration has NOT led to confiscation?

It is OPINION, not fact, that registration is a slippery slope to confiscation.   But what we ought to be able to agree on is the need to fix the Second Amendment so that the Constitution can effectively stand as a bulwark against such slippery slope.  And yes, that's my opinion.   
And where exactly are those factual episodes you are referring to?  You blurt it out, yet do not prove the case before you.

Are you suggesting because there are instances of a gross injustice NOT being done for a course of action is rationale for claiming that course of action is lawful?

EG - because a bullet fired from a gun aimed at you happens to not hit you means that the threat of homicide was not being contemplated?

Poor methods, Counselor.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #653 on: April 06, 2018, 05:46:41 pm »
@Smokin Joe
Fear not, that silly fool will continue to ignore your question.  Just like he will continue to ignore all of the many statements that we have made that our 2A rights come from GOD and we don’t rightly care what a court of man says it is.  For when that court of man opts to restrict that right, indeed  “That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it” and now that silly fool will state that we not he are pushing for a bloodbath.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #654 on: April 06, 2018, 07:08:40 pm »
@Smokin Joe
Fear not, that silly fool will continue to ignore your question.  Just like he will continue to ignore all of the many statements that we have made that our 2A rights come from GOD and we don’t rightly care what a court of man says it is.  For when that court of man opts to restrict that right, indeed  “That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it” and now that silly fool will state that we not he are pushing for a bloodbath.
Ironically, the people pushing for a bloodbath are those seeking to take the arms from their lawful owners. Changing the law does not alter that equation.
I wonder what his reaction would be if someone were to decide that someone with HIV/AIDS is a 'deadly weapon', with a 'large capacity magazine' and that they cannot be allowed to continue to walk about in society. (1.3 million infected and growing in the US alone). At least Newton's laws of motion and inertia will predict how my firearm will behave when I am not around. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:09:27 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #655 on: April 06, 2018, 07:29:46 pm »
Ironically, the people pushing for a bloodbath are those seeking to take the arms from their lawful owners.

Such malarkey.  Keep your damn guns.  Collect as many as you want.  Just register them so sales and dispositions can be documented,  and you're incented to report them if stolen.   It is no great imposition to require you to be responsible for the guns you choose to own.  It is not "infringement".   It is not "confiscation".  It is you being a responsible member of the community. 

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #656 on: April 06, 2018, 07:31:11 pm »

our 2A rights come from GOD

:silly: :silly: :silly:

So God's the origin of the predicate clause?   
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:33:09 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #657 on: April 06, 2018, 07:34:57 pm »
Such malarkey.  Keep your damn guns.  Collect as many as you want.  Just register them so sales and dispositions can be documented,  and you're incented to report them if stolen.   It is no great imposition to require you to be responsible for the guns you choose to own.  It is not "infringement".   It is not "confiscation".  It is you being a responsible member of the community. 

Well after another logical lap we return to the starting gate. I will NOT register my guns, simply because registration leads to confiscation, and registering them would only be a precursor to NOT keeping my damn guns--or worse, to having to use them to keep them.

Now, where is that list of MANY instances where registration did not lead to confiscation?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #658 on: April 06, 2018, 07:36:27 pm »
Just register them so sales and dispositions can be documented,  and you're incented to report them if stolen.

Nope.  I do not need "Extra Incentive" to report stolen property, you are just going to have to trust me, as you are demanding I trust Judges I know are activists who don't want me to have weapons.

I will not comply.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #659 on: April 06, 2018, 07:37:38 pm »
Well after another logical lap we return to the starting gate.

Another turn of the broken record, another skip of the needle.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #660 on: April 06, 2018, 07:43:12 pm »

@Jazzhead
How about this:  Eff you.  Neither you nor any other statist is gonna tell me to register my guns...that way I will still have them when I have to deal with with anyone who tries to confiscate them after the registration scheme runs its course.

Oh and by the way you <nope>...answer @Smokin Joe question.  Otherwise STFU
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:32:06 pm by Mod5 »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #661 on: April 06, 2018, 07:46:24 pm »

@Jazzhead
No you silly statist ...God is the origin of my right to self defense which the 2A limits government from infringing upon.  You claim to be another lawyer...you’d think you’d have some clue about the Bill of Rights
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 12:05:15 am by Axeslinger »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #662 on: April 06, 2018, 07:48:53 pm »
@Jazzhead
How about this:  Eff you.  Neither you nor any other statist is gonna tell me to register my guns...that way I will still have them when I have to deal with with anyone who tries to confiscate them after the registration scheme runs its course.

Oh and by the way you statist tool...answer @Smokin Joe question.  Otherwise STFU

Dittos.  Including the part about "answer the question."  He ignores our questions, then just repeats his assertions like a bloody parrot as if they were actually answers.  We've giving plenty of examples where registration leads to confiscation and all we get when we ask for countering examples, is  "Ooooh!  Just register them and trust the government."  Over.  And.  Over.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #663 on: April 06, 2018, 07:50:14 pm »
@Jazzhead
No you statist tool...God is the origin of my right to self defense which the 2A limits government from infringing upon.  You claim to be another (douchebag) lawyer...you’d think you’d have some clue about the Bill of Rights

If he treated courtrooms the way he treats us on this thread, his ass would be in jail for Contempt of Court.  He may be a lawyer, but not the kind that tries cases.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #664 on: April 06, 2018, 07:52:27 pm »

All unalienable Rights, "natural" Rights, come from our Creator (God). Maybe you missed that phrase in The Declaration of Independence, counselor. The government is the reason for the predicate clause. A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free state.... In Barclay's English dictionary (my copy is missing the flyleaf, but King George III's son is regent, so that makes it ca. 1820), published in London, the Militia is defined as "The Army, in its entirety." Regulation has little enough to do with training so much as control.

Broken down, a free country (or Federation) needs an Army to deal with threats from without, but that same Army has to be kept from being a threat to the the freedom that country has, therefore the security of a Free State is dependent on a well controlled Army. As has been brought up in this thread numerous times, the Founders saw that that control  (the army being subservient to the Civil Government) comes from the overwhelming number of the People themselves who, by force of their private arms if necessary, could thwart the tyrannical visions of anyone in either command of the Army, or the Civil Government if they would use the Army to such ends.

That purpose, is to protect the entire Republic, and especially the people, from the depredations of tyrants who would try to infringe on the unalienable Rights of the people. The Government exists because we have granted it power, not the other way around, and no document nor government is capable of creating an unalienable Right.

Unalienable, by definition, is something which exists beyond the authority of man to give away, transfer, or be taken. It exists above the pay grade of any human to decide: from God. What we are discussing is the level of infringement of one of those Rights which will be tolerated.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:57:41 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #665 on: April 06, 2018, 07:54:37 pm »
If he treated courtrooms the way he treats us on this thread, his ass would be in jail for Contempt of Court.  He may be a lawyer, but not the kind that tries cases.
Now, now, it's only 99.999% of the attorneys who make a bad name for the rest of them.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #666 on: April 06, 2018, 07:56:36 pm »
Now, now, it's only 99.999% of the attorneys who make a bad name for the rest of them.

Mrs. Liberty worked in a court her whole life, and I've watched my share of trials.  Anybody who circle-jerked a court like that would have been kicked out, and stripped of his status as an Officer of the Court.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #667 on: April 06, 2018, 08:57:12 pm »
Such malarkey.  Keep your damn guns.  Collect as many as you want.  Just register them so sales and dispositions can be documented,  and you're incented to report them if stolen.   

NO. Now what? Here we are again... Just how the hell do you expect to make me comply?

It is no great imposition to require you to be responsible for the guns you choose to own. 

The hell it ain't... and there you go again with your backhanded accusation of irresponsibility. Who the hell are you to say that?

It is not "infringement".   

The hell it ain't.

It is not "confiscation". 

The hell it ain't.

It is you being a responsible member of the community. 

There you go again throwing that accusation around. You have no knowledge of what is and isn't responsible wrt weapons - Your authority in this matter is nonexistent. And you are  not authorized to speak for any 'community' I give a shit about.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #668 on: April 06, 2018, 09:23:15 pm »
Just register them so sales and dispositions can be documented,

As someone who has taken an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution I would not comply with an unconstitutional order like that.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

« Reply #669 on: April 06, 2018, 09:32:52 pm »

Once again, when will you call for the registration of knives which kill many more people in this country than rifles?

To quote you
Such malarkey.  Keep your damn knives.  Collect as many as you want.  Just register them so sales and dispositions can be documented,  and you're incented to report them if stolen.   It is no great imposition to require you to be responsible for the knives you choose to own.  It is not "infringement".   It is not "confiscation".  It is you being a responsible member of the community. 

If you do not back up the registration of knives, you have so much malarkey.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #670 on: April 06, 2018, 09:44:07 pm »
Once again, when will you call for the registration of knives which kill many more people in this country than rifles?

To quote you
If you do not back up the registration of knives, you have so much malarkey.
Which would bring us to here: https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Basic laws on knives

It’s illegal to:

sell a knife to anyone under 18, unless it has a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less
    carry a knife in public without good reason, unless it has a folding blade with a cutting edge 3 inches long or less
    carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
    use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife)

Scotland

In Scotland, 16 to 18 year olds are allowed to buy cutlery and kitchen knives.
Lock knives

Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason. Lock knives:

have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button
    can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener

They are coming for your Leatherman....

The next step has already been taken elsewhere, and the terrorists there use bombs and vans.

But we fought a war with that country so we didn't have to live by their laws, and the first shots were fired over the deployment of authorities (troops) to seize stores of ammunition and arms.

Who doesn't understand how ingrained the RKBA is in our very national essence?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:46:42 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #671 on: April 06, 2018, 09:53:50 pm »
I think @Jazzhead may have gone into troll mode, and he's just yanking our chains now, laughing at us.  He hasn't contributed a single novel argument in days.

Don't feed the :troll:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:54:58 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #672 on: April 06, 2018, 10:04:05 pm »
I think @Jazzhead may have gone into troll mode, and he's just yanking our chains now, laughing at us.  He hasn't contributed a single novel argument in days.

Don't feed the :troll:
He has been neutered. 

Which is why I like him here.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #673 on: April 06, 2018, 10:17:22 pm »
I have reported you to the Mods for insulting a valued member of our fine establishment.
:silly:

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #674 on: April 06, 2018, 10:29:31 pm »
I have reported you to the Mods for insulting a valued member of our fine establishment.

:chairbang: :tongue2:
I will NOT comply.