Author Topic: Is the speed of light slowing down?  (Read 589 times)

rangerrebew

Is the speed of light slowing down?
« on: March 26, 2018, 03:43:19 pm »

Is the speed of light slowing down?

March 25, 2018

by Philip Perry

Modern physics rests on the foundational notion that the speed of light is a constant, which in a vacuum is 186,000 miles per second (299,792 km/s). Einstein established this within his theory of general relativity, first developed in 1906 when he was just 26 years-old. But what if it doesn’t? A few albeit controversial incidents in recent years challenge the idea that light always travels at a constant speed. And in fact, we've known for a long time that there are several phenomena that travel faster than light, without violating the theory of relativity.

http://bigthink.com/philip-perry/is-the-speed-of-light-slowing-down

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Is the speed of light slowing down?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 03:51:03 pm »
This fits in with a cooling universe re the expansion theory. We are dealing with almost undetectable changes, but the media can make the mundane sound like eminent doom.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 03:23:26 am »
Someone tell God to put some new batteries in.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 04:07:41 am »
Seems  that even the theoretical physicists are influenced by the culture of the day..

From the 1800's to the 60's there was a sense  that everything was possible culminating in the big bang theory.  A constantly expanding universe fit into the culture of the time and could be mathematically proven.

Today, the culture has turned much more cynical and many feel that the human race has pretty much reached its apex and everything from here on out is down hill. Given that mindset  seems this theory could also be mathematically proven.

But the fact is that even the Einsteins  are just attempting to make sense of what they/we perceive as reality in this world's perceptions. Seems to me just as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle predicts at the quantum level you can never know exactly what is going on, then at a galactic level we cannot know either.. :shrug:

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 12:37:11 pm »
When an article starts by confusing special and general relativity you have to wonder how sloppy the rest is...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA