Author Topic: Drug-related mortality rates are not randomly distributed across the US  (Read 678 times)

rangerrebew

Drug-related mortality rates are not randomly distributed across the US

Economic and social conditions underlie geographic disparities in overdose rates and addressing them will be key to reversing the rising tide of drug deaths, according to a new study in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine

Date:
    March 26, 2018
Source:
    Elsevier
Summary:
    Between 2006 and 2015 there were more than 515,000 deaths from drug overdoses and other drug-related causes in the US. The economic, social, and emotional tolls of these deaths are substantial, but some parts of the US are bearing heavier burdens than others. Evidence from the first national study of county-level differences suggests that addressing economic and social conditions will be key to reversing the rising tide of drug deaths.
Share:

FULL STORY

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/03/180326090340.htm

Online rustynail

White genocide?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

2006-2015

Map from article, this is very helpful, I've wanted a graph that kind of shows where the opiate crisis is hitting hardest. Although this is not conclusive and all drugs are included, it still tells a lot.

Ohio has been hit hard, from the map, it looks like that area around Cincinnati is suffering greatly.  There you can see KY and WV, which per the news, have been hit hard. And, this map only shows until 2015. New Mexico, parts hit hard, sparsely populated state, I'd say some of that shows Native American reservations,

Good article.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

2006-2015

Map from article, this is very helpful, I've wanted a graph that kind of shows where the opiate crisis is hitting hardest. Although this is not conclusive and all drugs are included, it still tells a lot.

Ohio has been hit hard, from the map, it looks like that area around Cincinnati is suffering greatly.  There you can see KY and WV, which per the news, have been hit hard. And, this map only shows until 2015. New Mexico, parts hit hard, sparsely populated state, I'd say some of that shows Native American reservations,

Good article.

That actually makes sense. The rust belt is the hardest hit- manufacturing jobs have a greater incidence of workplace injury so the likelihood someone becomes an addict to prescription opioids is greater. The other areas that are hot spots are very low population areas so it may mess a bit the averages and as you mentioned, it shows a greater increase in Native reservations (especially those in New Mexico) where drug use has been a long time problem.