Author Topic: MASS lawmaker said the State House’s General Hooker sign is ‘tone deaf.’  (Read 515 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
This is the kind of nonsense you get when you strip History Classes down to "America Bad, Primitive Cultures Superior."
This Rat woman is dumber than a box of rocks. 

By Steve Annear GLOBE STAFF  MARCH 15, 2018
A state elected official is facing blowback on social media after she called for a State House sign dedicated to Civil War General Joseph Hooker to be taken down or modified because she believes his last name is a “double entendre.”

On Wednesday, as students from around the state marched on Beacon Hill as part of the national “Walk Out” protests to call attention to gun violence, state Representative Michelle DuBois posted a photograph of the “General Hooker Entrance” sign on the building to social media and called it “tone deaf” and “patriarchal.”

“Are you a ‘General Hooker’? Of course not!” DuBois, who represents Brockton, West Bridgewater, and East Bridgewater, wrote on Facebook.

DuBois tied the name “Hooker,” a term that’s commonly used to describe a female sex worker, to the “Me Too” movement, and said the golden-lettered sign should be removed.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/03/15/state-rep-michelle-dubois-called-general-hooker-sign-tone-deaf-social-media-responded-swiftly/hdMTiSRs36g5fqFFugv87O/story.html
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The tinfoil is strong with this one.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
You would think she would have enough curiosity to wonder why the sign was there in the first place and enough initiative to find out.  Obviously, you would be wrong.

Offline mountaineer

This is what happens when schools stop teaching history.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LMAO

And these people want to run your healthcare
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy