Author Topic: Update: 6-10 reported killed. At least 6 injured in Florida International University bridge collap  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
What about the required building inspection signoffs, by city/county/state agencies?

Seems to be a huge failure by "government,," yet again.

--licensing
--apprval of plans
--inspection of physical aspects during construction

The system works fairly well everywhere except with regard to construction projects undertaken by the state.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RoosGirl

What about the required building inspection signoffs, by city/county/state agencies?

Seems to be a huge failure by "government,," yet again.

--licensing
--apprval of plans
--inspection of physical aspects during construction

What about it?  All of that is in place here.

Offline mountaineer

Just deleted the post I made from a website with which I wasn't familiar. Looks a bit too Stormfront to warrant my attention.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:20:47 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
2 cars, 3 bodies removed from collapsed Miami bridge debris

MIAMI (AP) — Two vehicles containing three bodies were removed from the wreckage of a collapsed Miami bridge Saturday as authorities continued to remove debris in attempt to extract at least four cars still trapped since the span fell two days earlier.

The recovery came after police used cameras to locate five bodies in the rubble of a pedestrian bridge under construction at Florida International University. Authorities were carefully trying to get to remaining victims. At least six people were killed when the structure fell onto a busy highway Thursday.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/state-voicemail-cracking-bridge-wasnt-picked-025003598.html
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:03:44 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline RoosGirl

On Saturday, FIU released a statement saying representatives from the university and DOT met with a FIGG engineer for two hours Thursday morning to discuss the cracking and determined there wasn't a safety issue. The bridge fell soon afterward.

"The FIGG engineer of record delivered a technical presentation regarding the crack and concluded that there were no safety concerns and the crack did not compromise the structural integrity of the bridge," FIU said.

So this tells me that Pate was not the engineer, there is some other unnamed EOR (engineer of record).  The EOR will be a PE with a focus on structural engineering.  If I am remembering correctly the state of Florida requires that structural engineers pass not only the PE exam, which is a tough, 8 hour exam, but also an additional 8 hour exam that focuses specifically on the components of structural engineering.

Offline thackney

So this tells me that Pate was not the engineer, there is some other unnamed EOR (engineer of record).  The EOR will be a PE with a focus on structural engineering.  If I am remembering correctly the state of Florida requires that structural engineers pass not only the PE exam, which is a tough, 8 hour exam, but also an additional 8 hour exam that focuses specifically on the components of structural engineering.

I'm reminded of the Statics and Strengths of Materials Prof who recommended to a failing student to drop engineering and go Pre-med.  He said at least then he would only kill one at a time.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline RoosGirl

I'm reminded of the Statics and Strengths of Materials Prof who recommended to a failing student to drop engineering and go Pre-med.  He said at least then he would only kill one at a time.

Haha. Yep!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I am reminded of the story my MD friends tells about the first lecture on the first day of med school.   The professor is going around the romm asking why each individual decided on a medical career.  When he got to one who said "to save lives"  he went into a long spiel anouncin to them that every single one of their patients was going to die. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

I don't know who this is, but the tweet made me laugh.

Offline mountaineer

Bridge collapse victim's uncle rages at 'incompetence'
    By JENNIFER KAY and ALLEN G. BREED
Associated Press
 9 hrs ago (0)

MIAMI (AP) — As crews began removing bodies from beneath a collapsed pedestrian bridge Saturday, a victim's uncle raged against what he called the "complete incompetence" and "colossal failure" that allowed people to drive beneath the unfinished concrete span.

"Why they had to build this monstrosity in the first place to get children across the street?" said an anguished Joe Smitha, whose niece, Alexa Duran, was crushed in Thursday's collapse at Florida International University. "Then they decided to stress test this bridge while traffic was running underneath it?"  ...   More at St. Louis Post-Dispatch