Author Topic: Republic Steel plans restart of plant, bringing back 1K jobs  (Read 706 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Republic Steel plans restart of plant, bringing back 1K jobs
« on: March 15, 2018, 01:31:11 am »
LORAIN, OHIO
Republic Steel says it plans to restart a northeast Ohio steel plant that could bring back more than 1,000 jobs in response to President Donald Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminum imports.

The Elyria Chronicle-Telegram reports Republic Steel announced Thursday that it's "positioned" to restart its Lorain facility in the coming months. Plans include restarting its idled electric arc furnace, casters and rolling mills.

The Canton-based company said in a news release that it's ready to respond quickly to increased demand for steel in the U.S. The company says with its open capacity at a melt shop in Canton that it could bring more than 1 million tons of new production to market.

The company says it has been maintaining the Lorain plant idled since 2016 anticipating a restart.

http://amp.idahostatesman.com/news/business/article204497874.html
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Republic Steel plans restart of plant, bringing back 1K jobs
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 01:31:44 am »
Are tariffs good or bad?  This steel company votes good.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 01:35:10 am »
Welfare recipients often vote for welfare at the expense of others.  Does this shock you?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 01:37:12 am »
Welfare recipients often vote for welfare at the expense of others.  Does this shock you?

What shocks me is your comment which has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Are you a democrat plant or something?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 01:53:00 am »
Cool.  It’s only a 3.5 hour drive from Huntington, IN and 4.5 hrs from Indianapolis to Lorain, OH.  Perhaps the former Carrier employees can carpool.

'We do feel forgotten': About 1,300 Carrier company employees will still lose their jobs, despite Trump's deal

"His whole campaign was focused on Indy," Huntington plant employee Mike Harmon told ABC2. "I never heard one thing about the Huntington plant. So yeah, we do feel forgotten."

"Everybody's down. Tension's high. Everybody is on everybody," another employee told Indianapolis station WTHR.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-deal-carrier-huntington-indiana-united-technologies-2016-12

He ‘lied his a– off’: Carrier union leader on Trump’s big deal

Jones, president of the United Steelworkers 1999, which represents Carrier employees, felt optimistic when Trump announced last week that he’d reached a deal with the factory’s parent company, United Technologies, to preserve 1,100 of the Indianapolis jobs — until the union leader heard from Carrier that only 730 of the production jobs would stay and 550 of his members would lose their livelihoods, after all.

At the Dec. 1 meeting, where Trump was supposed to lay out the details, Jones hoped he would explain himself.

“But he got up there,” Jones said Tuesday, “and, for whatever reason, lied his a-- off.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/12/06/he-got-up-there-and-lied-his-a-off-carrier-union-leader-on-trumps-big-deal/?utm_term=.4be4748fa1f1
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 01:56:15 am »
What shocks me is your comment which has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

It has everything to do with what we're talking about.  Your comment illustrates just how woefully (and possibly deliberately) ignorant you are about what tariffs are and how they work.

If I had government in my pocket able to slap taxes on my competition's products and services so I can have a clear advantage over them - I could to hire a bunch of people tomorrow to handle all the work that will come in because my products and service is going to be cheaper.

Are you a Union thug Democrat?
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline edpc

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 02:02:34 am »
If I had government in my pocket able to slap taxes on my competition's products and services so I can have a clear advantage over them - I could to hire a bunch of people tomorrow to handle all the work that will come in because my products and service is going to be cheaper.

So true, @INVAR.

However, the union knows they have new power, so they will force the company to renegotiate their contract. That will prevent from hiring as many people as the company could have, but the people there will make slightly more money. Now, all of that cascading economics stuff will make steel more expensive for the downstream manufacturers. In order to keep costs down for their product, they will be forced to lay off people across the industry. That will end up in a net loss of jobs across the nation. Does that sound far-fetched? Nope, because it’s exactly what happened in 2002, when Bush placed tariffs on steel.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 02:02:44 am »

It has everything to do with this. Trump is propping this company up with government-mandated welfare, paid for by the American consumer.

Thst you don't understand that simple bit of economics explains why you aren't vehemently against it, like conservatives are.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:03:17 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 02:09:38 am »
He ‘lied his a– off’: Carrier union leader on Trump’s big deal
That's okay.  It's not fraud, because everyone knows Trump is a compulsive liar.  Right, @driftdiver ?

@edpc
+++++++++

Offline edpc

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 02:09:48 am »
It has everything to do with this. Trump is propping this company up with government-mandated welfare, paid for by the American consumer.

Thst you don't understand that simple bit of economics explains why you aren't vehemently against it, like conservatives are.

That and the tariffs don’t take effect until the 22nd.  We won’t know the effects for months and we haven’t yet seen how other nations may respond.  It’s easy to see an additional 1K jobs and not go beyond that.  As the example I listed above shows, there are other events associated with the tariffs.  They won’t be immediately apparent.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 02:12:24 am »

That and the tariffs don’t take effect until the 22nd.  We won’t know the effects for months and we haven’t yet seen how other nations may respond.  It’s easy to see an additional 1K jobs and not go beyond that.  As the example I listed above shows, there are other events associated with the tariffs.  They won’t be immediately apparent.

Yeah, you notice how the tariff nuts try to count only the steel jobs gained, not the even larger losses that result each time it's tried?  They suddenly get blind out of one eye.
+++++++++

Offline endicom

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 02:32:26 am »

...we haven’t yet seen how other nations may respond.

Which nations are affected?

Offline edpc

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 02:35:37 am »

Which nations are affected?

So far, Mexico and Canada are exempt.  Australia was said to be exploring things, but nothing’s come out publicly.  The EU hasn’t seemed interested in negotiations.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 02:58:35 am »

I'm not sure you are a conservative at all.  I've seen several good articles supporting tariffs.

We do not have Fair Trade here which hurts both business and consumers.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 03:01:53 am »
It has everything to do with what we're talking about.  Your comment illustrates just how woefully (and possibly deliberately) ignorant you are about what tariffs are and how they work.

Are you a Union thug Democrat?

@Emjay
I thought she was joking at first.  I loled.

When President Obama slapped a tariff on Chinese tires it cost thousands of American jobs.
http://lincicome.blogspot.com/2012/05/best-case-scenario-tire-tariffs-cost.html

Of course, as with any protectionism, the problem is that the USW (via jobs, dues and bragging rights) and President Obama (via union votes and campaign donations) benefited directly from these tire tariffs and got to mask those benefits behind some sweet, sweet China-bashing, so it's unlikely that common sense and the opinions of vast majority of economists - both conservative and liberal - are going to change their minds about the tariffs' "benefits" anytime soon... no matter how much they cost.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 03:10:44 am »
I'm not sure you are a conservative at all.  I've seen several good articles supporting tariffs.

We do not have Fair Trade here which hurts both business and consumers.
Besides Trump the only people I hear talking about "Fair Trade" are Clinton, Obama, Pelosi and the rats.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 11:53:26 am »
Besides Trump the only people I hear talking about "Fair Trade" are Clinton, Obama, Pelosi and the rats.

Don't forget about Bernie Sanders..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org