Author Topic: Life in Vladimir Putin's Russia explained in 10 charts  (Read 485 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Life in Vladimir Putin's Russia explained in 10 charts
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:30:48 am »
Excerpt:

Life in Vladimir Putin's Russia explained in 10 charts

Living standards for most Russians improved, and a renewed sense of stability and national pride emerged. But the price, many say, was the erosion of Russia's fledgling democracy.

How has life changed for ordinary Russians during this time?
1. Fewer people are poor

Levels of poverty may be significantly lower than before, but Russia is still above the average for many of the world's biggest economies.

Read more at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43210257

One of the graphs involves "circuses", I guess they are very popular there, good article.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Re: Life in Vladimir Putin's Russia explained in 10 charts
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 01:42:38 am »
They have 106 microwaves per 100 households?!
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 01:44:08 am »
This is an interesting article!

I wonder how the prostitution numbers are -- that was a prime career choice for young women not long ago ;(.  And Putin called Russian prostitutes the best in the world.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:45:18 am by LauraTXNM »
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 04:24:41 am »
This is an interesting article!

I wonder how the prostitution numbers are -- that was a prime career choice for young women not long ago ;(.  And Putin called Russian prostitutes the best in the world.

I know an interpreter that grew up in Ukraine and studied in Moscow.  She said what we consider workplace harassment here is nothing in comparison to what goes on there.  In fact, it's somewhat expected as the path for advancement.  Apparently, it goes way back, but really became ingrained after WWII.  So many men were killed, the ones left had the power and multiple female options available.  If you weren't willing to do something, there were dozens more who were.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:25:19 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 04:55:24 am »
@edpc Yo know that's true!  I was a flight attendant for a couple of years after college.  Because I had language skills, I had the dubious distinction of flying to Russia a couple of times.  Learning how to say nicely, "Please keep your hands off my *ss, sir," was part of the protocol ;).

We American women don't know how good we have it ;(.