Author Topic: James Clapper avoids charges for 'clearly erroneous' surveillance testimony  (Read 424 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
James Clapper avoids charges for 'clearly erroneous' surveillance testimony
by Steven Nelson | Mar 10, 2018, 11:01 PM

Former intelligence chief James Clapper is poised to avoid charges for allegedly lying to Congress following five years of apparent inaction by the Justice Department.

Clapper, director of national intelligence from 2010 to 2017, admitted giving “clearly erroneous” testimony about mass surveillance in March 2013, and offered differing explanations for why.

Two criminal statutes that cover lying to Congress have five-year statutes of limitations, establishing a Monday deadline to charge Clapper, who in retirement has emerged as a leading critic of President Trump.

The under-oath untruth was exposed by National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden, who sparked national debate on surveillance policy with leaks to the press.

Many members of Congress, mostly Republicans supportive of new limits on electronic surveillance, called for Clapper to be prosecuted as the deadline neared, saying unpunished perjury jeopardizes the ability of Congress to perform oversight.

"He admitted to lying to Congress and was unremorseful and flippant about it,” Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., told the Washington Examiner. “The integrity of our federal government is at stake because his behavior sets the standard for the entire intelligence community.”

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/james-clapper-avoids-charges-for-clearly-erroneous-surveillance-testimony/article/2651233
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DB

And now the precedence is set...

Lie all you like to congress if it is for a good cause...

Congress will dillydally around until you are in no more legal jeopardy before taking any real notice...

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
This is why he and Brennan are still on the nets spewing their talking points and never getting challenged.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Given Holder's contempt of Congress conviction which went nowhere, combined with Hillary's obvious indisputable destruction of evidence which was under subpoena which went nowhere, combined with Wasserman paying a foreign spy to run IT for the Dems which went nowhere, and now this which went nowhere.

It seems crystal clear that Congress has simply abandoned any notion of Law enforcement of any kind in D.C. Apparently Democrats have somehow become immune to prosecution no matter what they do.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:49:19 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Given Holder's contempt of Congress conviction which went nowhere, combined with Hillary's obvious indisputable destruction of evidence which was under subpoena which went nowhere, combined with Wasserman paying a foreign spy to run IT for the Dems which went nowhere, and now this which went nowhere.

It seems crystal clear that Congress has simply abandoned any notion of Law enforcement of any kind in D.C. Apparently Democrats have somehow become immune to prosecution no matter they do.

There was a discussion about this night, I think related to the sailor who was pardoned.  I don't think it's a Dem/Rep thing.  It just seems like possibly the only group in this country that takes rules and responsibility seriously any more, is the military.

I think the pendulum has swung from "raise yourself up by your bootstraps and sink or swim" to viewing everyone as incompetent and needing help in some way.  May we reach a "happy medium" soon.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
There was a discussion about this night, I think related to the sailor who was pardoned.  I don't think it's a Dem/Rep thing.  It just seems like possibly the only group in this country that takes rules and responsibility seriously any more, is the military.

I think the pendulum has swung from "raise yourself up by your bootstraps and sink or swim" to viewing everyone as incompetent and needing help in some way.  May we reach a "happy medium" soon.

You're getting there.  Just hang with us a bit.....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: