Author Topic: Veterans Home of California in Yountville on lockdown after reports of shots fired, officials say  (Read 824 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
An armed man took three hostages during an "active shooter situation" at a California veterans home Friday afternoon, a fire official said.
Earlier, it emerged the veterans home was on lockdown after reports of shots fired.

The Napa County Sheriff’s Office said officers responded to the Veterans Home of California in Yountville around 10:45 a.m. local time and a shelter-in-place order was issued.

Kron4.com reported there were preliminary reports that upwards of 30 shots were fired. Police have not confirmed the report.

"Law enforcement is at the Yountville Veteran’s Home right now following reports of gunfire. The safety of our residents, workers and the community is our top priority," the veterans home said in a statement on Facebook. "We have activated our emergency response protocol and are cooperating with law enforcement. Further official information will be provided by law enforcement when it is confirmed."

An official from the veteran’s home told the news station that it was unclear if the shots were fired from inside or outside the building.

The Napa Valley Register reported an armed gunman, dressed in black with body armor, entered the building and may have taken hostages.
There was no immediate information on injuries.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/09/veterans-home-california-in-yountville-on-lockdown-after-reports-shots-fired-officials-say.html
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Victoria33

Offline Victoria33

First saw this on Fox, then CNN.  Both waiting for more info.
Fox said one shot fired inside - I hope that is all that was fired inside.  Shooter has on black body armor, a bad sign.   Fox said three hostages.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:25:46 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Local NBC reporter states that there are several high school students in the auditorium at the Veterans Home. They were there rehearsing a play.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The shooter...and all three women hostages are dead.

Offline mountaineer

After an apparent hourslong standoff between police and a gunman, three women were found dead Friday night at the Veterans Home of California in Yountville, authorities said.

The suspect was also found dead, Chris Childs, assistant chief of the California Highway Patrol's Golden Gate Division, told reporters.

The three victims were earlier described as employees of The Pathway Home, a counseling service for veterans who suffer post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), which is on the property.

The suspect had been a client at facility until he left two weeks ago, according to State Senator Bill Dodd.  ...More
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

... A daylong siege at The Pathway Home ended Friday evening with the discovery of four bodies, including the gunman. He was identified as Albert Wong, 36, a former Army rifleman who served a year in Afghanistan in 2011-2012.  ...  Full story at Circa
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Suspected gunman, 3 women found dead after hostages taken at California veterans home
NBC News, Mar 10, 2018, Phil Helsel and Daniel Arkin

A suspected gunman and three women he was believed to have taken hostage at a California veterans home were found dead Friday, nearly eight hours after reports of shots fired at the facility, officials said.

The grim end to the situation at the Veterans Home of California in Yountville, a 600-acre facility north of Napa wine country, was announced at around 7:45 p.m. local time (10:45 p.m. ET).

"This is a tragic piece of news, one that we were really hoping we wouldn’t have to come before the public to give," Chris Childs, assistant chief of the California Highway Patrol Golden Gate Division, said at a news conference.

The suspect was identified by Napa County Sheriff-Coroner's Office as Albert Wong, 36, from Sacramento. The county said in a statement that he was "formerly from the Pathway Home" at the veterans home. The Pathway Home is a privately run program that treats veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars with post-traumatic stress disorder.

The Pathway Home identified the three victims as Christine Loeber, the executive director; Dr. Jen Golick, a therapist; and Dr. Jennifer Gonzales, a psychologist with the San Francisco Department of Veterans Affairs Healthcare System.

"These Brave Women were accomplished professionals who dedicated their careers to serving our nation’s veterans, working closely with those in the greatest need of attention after deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan," The Pathway Home said in a statement.

More: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/shots-fired-veterans-home-northern-california-n855281

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The media will drop this like a hot potato.
The shooter wasn't white.

Seems like I read the SWAT guys [again] waited hours before "going in".
Shades of the recent Florida school shooting redux ...

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Updated info here: https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/10/us/california-veterans-home-shooting/index.html

--He'd threatened one of the victims before and left the program as a result.
--There's a summary of his military service and the medals he received; I know you all are very knowledgeable about what they mean.
--He apparently had seven weapons registered to him.  I'd expect this to fit in with the discussion about mental illness and weapons ownership.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I have spent a lifetime with family that were veterans of WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, WOT, etc.

It seems to be just recently when so many people in our society, have had mental problems that turned them violent.

I note my neice and her husband, both WOT vets, BOTH get compensation for PTSD.

He served ahile in the Army in Iraq, and she served 12 years in the AF.

I have another vet acquaintence, who also has a PTSD disability.

My father served in combat, got seriously injured, but dealt with it. Same with my FIL.

Men used to "deal with it," because that was expected.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DB

I have spent a lifetime with family that were veterans of WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, WOT, etc.

It seems to be just recently when so many people in our society, have had mental problems that turned them violent.

My father served in combat, got seriously injured, but dealt with it. Same with my FIL.

Do you think it might have something to do with being paid for that disability? So people now seek it out. It seems like many police and firefighters retire with some sort of disability payment to maximize what they get for the rest of their lives. At least around here it seems that way.

Offline LauraTXNM

If it's not too personal to ask, do you think your niece and nephew-in-law are "mentally ill"?  Do they receive treatment for nightmares or depression, etc.?  I think if it's helpful for people to get treatment, that is great.  I'm sure there are people who suffered from "shell-shock" who might have benefitted from some help.  I don't know about _paying_ people.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
If it's not too personal to ask, do you think your niece and nephew-in-law are "mentally ill"?  Do they receive treatment for nightmares or depression, etc.?  I think if it's helpful for people to get treatment, that is great.  I'm sure there are people who suffered from "shell-shock" who might have benefitted from some help.  I don't know about _paying_ people.
Of course not mentally ill, by old fashioned common sense standards.

But by stupid standards today, they say most of us can qualify to be mentally ill.

We live in the age of victimhood.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Of course not mentally ill, by old fashioned common sense standards.

But by stupid standards today, they say most of us can qualify to be mentally ill.

We live in the age of victimhood.

I agree.  I have relatives (inlaws, mostly) who also claim to have chronic PTSD and who, IMHO, abuse the system in order to be taken care of.  But, then I also have relatives who are vets and would never do that.

Offline LauraTXNM

I agree.  I have relatives (inlaws, mostly) who also claim to have chronic PTSD and who, IMHO, abuse the system in order to be taken care of.  But, then I also have relatives who are vets and would never do that.

I am sure PTSD is a real problem and always has been.   I'm sure some people "use" it.

Offline LauraTXNM

The non-profit organization whose staff were murdered here work with a really small group of people, who seem like they've been "screened" and really need help.

So do we help people who are really hurting, and accept a certain amount of graft?  Or do we choose not to help anyone because there will be some bad apples?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Some of us still serving of a certain age... tend to continue to employ the"suck it up and drive on" mentality to dealing with what we've experienced when deployed in combat.

There is a mental toughness that is severely lacking in today's youth that makes it very difficult to prepare them to handle whet they will face in hot and dangerous places.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I am sure PTSD is a real problem and always has been.   I'm sure some people "use" it.

PTSD has only fairly recently been redefined to be more than a short term condition.  It doesn't cause people to commit murder and mayhem, though it is frequently associated with those situations by the media.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The non-profit organization whose staff were murdered here work with a really small group of people, who seem like they've been "screened" and really need help.

So do we help people who are really hurting, and accept a certain amount of graft?  Or do we choose not to help anyone because there will be some bad apples?

Absolutely we should help people who are hurting.  We should do that as a part of our Christianity or Judiasm or general goodness of heart.  We should not take other peoples' paychecks to do so.