Author Topic: Tell the Truth on Tariffs!  (Read 815 times)

Offline endicom

Tell the Truth on Tariffs!
« on: March 08, 2018, 05:40:43 pm »
American Thinker
Joe Herring
Mar. 8, 2018

So much huff and puff surrounds Trump's tariff talk, I thought it time to inject a little perspective into this heated (and often misinformed) debate.

Senator Ben Sasse was on Newsradio 1110 KFAB in Omaha, Nebraska the morning of March 7, issuing declarative statements regarding tariffs in general and Trump's proposals in particular, that aren't quite supported by facts.

While totally free trade is an ideal and a goal, it is impossible to accomplish without becoming wholly interdependent on other nations.  There will always be another country capable of driving your domestic industry into the dirt on some product or another, as no one nation can be the most efficient and best producer of everything that nation requires.

More... https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2018/03/tell_the_truth_on_tariffs.html

Offline endicom

Re: Tell the Truth on Tariffs!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 05:42:29 pm »

Herring is right. We right now have tariffs so the mere mention of tariffs will not restart the Great Depression.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 05:47:09 pm »
Herring is right. We right now have tariffs so the mere mention of tariffs will not restart the Great Depression.

It was a little more than a mere mention.

We do have a lot of tariffs now - +12,000, so it makes you wonder how a few more would be helpful?

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 06:04:17 pm »
Death by 12002 cuts...

Offline the_doc

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 06:15:50 pm »
It was a little more than a mere mention.

We do have a lot of tariffs now - +12,000, so it makes you wonder how a few more would be helpful?

I don't have strong feelings about this, under the circumstances of the existing burden of tariffs, but I think Trump's protectionism might be trying to kick-start a revival of a domestic industry involving strategically important metals.  (Qanon has been tweeting about international corruption in the steel industry--embezzlements and inferior steel, for example.)     

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 07:31:28 pm »
I don't have strong feelings about this, under the circumstances of the existing burden of tariffs, but I think Trump's protectionism might be trying to kick-start a revival of a domestic industry involving strategically important metals.  (Qanon has been tweeting about international corruption in the steel industry--embezzlements and inferior steel, for example.)   

Here are lists of major steel companies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_steel_producers. Conspiciously missing is the word Canada. That's surely because Canadian steel companies are foreign owned. Much of Mexican steel production is by foreign owned companies.

Anything with Mittal in it is Indian.