Author Topic: Ted Cruz, Whose Real Name is Rafael, Slams 'Beto' O'Rourke For Latino Nickname  (Read 3265 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Ted Cruz, Whose Real Name is Rafael, Slams 'Beto' O'Rourke For Latino Nickname
Nicole Goodkind

Ted Cruz, Whose Real Name is Rafael, Slams 'Beto' O'Rourke For Latino Nickname

Texas Senator Ted Cruz attacked his Democratic opponent, Robert “Beto” O’Rourke, for using a Hispanic nickname to attract voters after his primary win last night. The attack led to it being pointed out to Cruz, whose first name is Rafael, that O'Rourke is not the only one in the race to opt against going by his real first name.

The Cruz campaign released a radio jingle making fun of O’Rourke with lyrics like, “I remember reading stories, liberal Robert wanted to fit in, so he changed his name to Beto and hid it with a grin.”

Read more at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/ted-cruz-whose-real-name-172226570.html

Offline Frank Cannon

Lyin' Ted at it again. I could give him a pass for his father killing Kennedy and his wife controlling world markets at Goldman, but this is a bridge too far.

Offline TomSea

Cruz still has an authentic Hispanic surname as the Dallas News pointed out this morning, Robert O'Rourke is not. At the same time, before Cruz, I'm not aware of any Hispanic holding state-wide office in Texas ever. Of course, plenty have on local levels. This is telling in itself.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:19:31 pm by TomSea »

Offline libertybele

Lyin' Ted at it again. I could give him a pass for his father killing Kennedy and his wife controlling world markets at Goldman, but this is a bridge too far.

Absolutely!   888high58888   :patriot: 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Funny I don't remember the media having a problem with someone named Edward using the nickname Ted....when their last name was Kennedy.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

This won't matter a whit in the election.  But it was a dumb attack for Rafael to make. 

Offline Frank Cannon

At the same time, before Cruz, I'm not aware of any Hispanic holding state-wide office in Texas ever.

John Tower was thought to be Hispanic because of his skin color until it was found out his skin color wasn't from ethnicity but from his liver shutting down from drinking.

Offline Frank Cannon

Funny I don't remember the media having a problem with someone named Edward using the nickname Ted....when their last name was Kennedy.

So you are saying Cruz is going under an alias? Tommy isn't going to like finding that out.

Offline mountaineer

I go by my middle name. My father and mother both went by their middle names. That doesn't make us liars.

Yahoo is one of the most Democrat-loving sites out there, by the way.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

It seems there's a difference between anglicizing a name, which is a common tradition in the US, and hispanisizing an anglo-sounding name in a heavily hispanic district prior to an election.

BTW is Yahoo doing opinion pieces exclusively now?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:48:24 pm by skeeter »

Offline mountaineer

Yahoo doing opinion pieces exclusively now?
That pretty much characterizes what you see at Yahoo News.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
R. Edward Cruz uses his middle name because his father went by Rafael. It's not that uncommon, folks. (See: W. Franklin Graham, Jr., son of William "Billy" Graham).

Plus, the same people raising a stink about this have no problem with Edward "Ted" Kennedy using the same name abbreviation.

Calling yourself "Beto" when your name is Robert is a whole different level of cultural appropriation. Think Ned Holness/Carlos Mencia.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:50:52 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Let's be real here. Francis goes by Beto purely for Cultural Appropriation and to hide that he is an Irish Catholic in El Paso. Ted, on the other hand, has to use his middle name to hide that he was on the grassy knoll as a secret agent for Castro.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Ted, on the other hand, has to use his middle name to hide that he was on the grassy knoll as a secret agent for Castro.
And those pesky Canadians.

Offline mountaineer

In my first Spanish class in 6th grade, the teacher gave all of us Spanish names.

Â¡Me llamo Luisa!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
In the bigger picture, when boys can be girls if the want to, a name is small potatoes.

If Cruz believes it wise and beneficial, to exploit names and ethnicity, he should not be surprised if his opponent does likewise, over his Canadian birth.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

If Cruz believes it wise and beneficial, to exploit names and ethnicity, he should not be surprised if his opponent does likewise, over his Canadian birth.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Let's be real here. Francis goes by Beto purely for Cultural Appropriation and to hide that he is an Irish Catholic in El Paso. Ted, on the other hand, has to use his middle name to hide that he was on the grassy knoll as a secret agent for Castro.

QFT.    :cool:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
In my first Spanish class in 6th grade, the teacher gave all of us Spanish names.

Â¡Me llamo Luisa!
Ah, yes, same with my Spanish teacher, and I somehow became "Joaquin," which was pronounced something closer to "Wha-keen."

Offline TomSea

Cruz did well in the Rocky Mountain West, winning a number of states, basically his stronghold. Cruz did not win in the Deep South, it makes one wonder about these things.

I guess, part of it all is name recognition, even without that apprentice show, I knew who Trump was. Of course, like many in the Rocky Mountain West, Cruz was my choice for much of the campaign.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

Â¡Me llamo Luisa!

LOL. 

Soy Diego
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline corbe

Cruz did well in the Rocky Mountain West, winning a number of states, basically his stronghold. Cruz did not win in the Deep South, it makes one wonder about these things.

I guess, part of it all is name recognition, even without that apprentice show, I knew who Trump was. Of course, like many in the Rocky Mountain West, Cruz was my choice for much of the campaign.

@TomSea also as far as 'Super Tuesday' Trump had his friend over at the National Enquirer print that story that Ted had 8 mistresses the week before the vote, This caused dismay among 'some' Evangelicals who easily overlooked Trump's shortcoming throughout the whole election, Go Figure.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Â¡Me llamo Luisa!

Same here- Me llamo Carlitos!
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The ultimate passive/aggressive thread start.

Offline Polly Ticks

Â¡Me llamo Luisa!

Hola, Luisa!  Me llamo Susita!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra