Author Topic: Poll: Five Senate Dems would lose to GOP challenger if elections held today  (Read 981 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Poll: Five Senate Dems would lose to GOP challenger if elections held today
By John Bowden - 03/08/18 08:24 AM EST

Five Senate Democrats trail their GOP challengers and would lose their bids for reelection were the 2018 midterms held today, according to polls from SurveyMonkey.

New polls published Thursday morning in Axios show Sens. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), Jon Tester (D-Mont.), Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), Joe Donnelly (D-Ind.), and Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.) would all lose reelection to GOP challengers if voters were heading to the polls this week.

With the exception of McCaskill, who is squaring off against Missouri Attorney General Josh Hawley (R), the senators were polled against generic, unnamed GOP challengers.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign-polls/377345-polls-five-senate-dems-would-lose-to-republicans-in-elections-today
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Poll Reveals Trouble for Senate Democrats in 2018 Midterm Election Battles
National Review Online, Mar 8, 2018, Alexandra DeSanctis

Axios has just released a fascinating poll of the swing-state Senate races in this year’s midterm elections, and in several key contests, generic Republican candidates appear to have the edge over incumbent Democrats.

The poll surveys voters’ attitudes toward incumbent Democratic senators up for reelection this cycle in the ten states that Donald Trump won in November 2016: Montana, West Virginia Missouri, Indiana, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida.

In half of these states, the GOP candidate leads the current Democratic senator, and, amazingly, in four out of five of those states, the Republican candidate goes unnamed, because no front-runner was identified by the poll.

This means that a majority or plurality of registered voters in these swing states say they would prefer a faceless Republican to the Democrat currently seated in the Senate. The exception is Missouri, where current attorney general Josh Hawley is shown to be leading Democratic incumbent Claire McCaskill 52 to 44 percent.

More:  https://www.nationalreview.com/blog/corner/democrats-2018-senate-outlook-not-ideal/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This is a good time to consider a couple of numbers.  There are 33 Senate seats up for election this year.  The Republicans are defending 9 of them, and the Democrats are defending 24.  No matter how much the press likes to play up Republican tight races, the Dems have many, many more that don't get talked about.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
An inconvenient truth, so the press won't talk about it.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
This is a good time to consider a couple of numbers.  There are 33 Senate seats up for election this year.  The Republicans are defending 9 of them, and the Democrats are defending 24.  No matter how much the press likes to play up Republican tight races, the Dems have many, many more that don't get talked about.

Yessss.  The odds are in our favor.  And it would be so wonderful to get a decent majority in the Senate.

I have a feeling Soros is writing checks as we speak.  They are terrified.  This is their last stand for a while ... they will pull out every stop they have.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

Those are very nice odds.  But Pubs have always found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Those are very nice odds.  But Pubs have always found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Truedat, Captain Wild Bill Kelso.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline aligncare

Yessss.  The odds are in our favor.  And it would be so wonderful to get a decent majority in the Senate.

I have a feeling Soros is writing checks as we speak.  They are terrified.  This is their last stand for a while ... they will pull out every stop they have.

Imagine what the landscape would look like if there was an objective media in this country? Democrats couldn’t win dog catcher if that were the case.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Speaking of numbers and stuff not being talked about, why did they poll voters in 10 states?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Imagine what the landscape would look like if there was an objective media in this country? Democrats couldn’t win dog catcher if that were the case.

There's that damned little word again!  IF!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Yep, and while the PACs seem to be rolling in ad dough, the DNC is broke. Which means they won't have funds for their usual ground game unless big money starts rolling in soon.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Speaking of numbers and stuff not being talked about, why did they poll voters in 10 states?

Dunno.  This is a SurveyMonkey poll, published by Axios.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Truedat, Captain Wild Bill Kelso.

:cool: :cool:

Point of fact:
Widely believed to be the greatest pilot of all time (except for maybe Porkins or Lord Flashheart), Wild Bill Kelso was single-highhandedly responsible for ending the Pacific War in WWII. The a-bombs were dropped simply because no one wanted to clean up Kelso's mess.
I'm Wild Bill Kelso, and don't you forget it!
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Victoria33

24 seats is a lot for Dems to have to keep.  If some are retiring, that leaves the seat open for new candidates and those would be harder to keep in the Dem category.  Reps can pick up some of these seats.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
All I want is to approach or even exceed 60 seats in the Senate. After that there are no more excuses. It either stands or falls and we no where it goes from here.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
All I want is to approach or even exceed 60 seats in the Senate. After that there are no more excuses. It either stands or falls and we no where it goes from here.

If we had 60 seats, we'd have the same bullcrap we have today, only it would be for the struggle to get cloture.  The same 4-5 usual suspects throwing us over for the Dems.  AP wouldn't even have to change their Style Book.
I will NOT comply.

Offline GrouchoTex

All elections should be held on April 15th, IMO.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Sure should.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Or in the week or so after, yeah.  I've heard that idea a few times.  Or set Tax Day to be November 1, which would probably be easier than trying to move Election Day.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
If we had 60 seats, we'd have the same bullcrap we have today, only it would be for the struggle to get cloture.  The same 4-5 usual suspects throwing us over for the Dems.  AP wouldn't even have to change their Style Book.

McConnell could try that, but going back to a hard cloture rule stance just wouldn't fly with the base. The jig would be up at that point, and I think you'd start seeing all support bolt for the exits.

Let's face it, we couldn't get the 65+ seats to guarantee cloture and everyone knows it. Playing that smarmy little game to justify failure would be McConnell politically shooting himself in the head and ending it all, especially now that they've already jerked us around at the 50 vote simple majority.

The Republic is lost.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I know !!  That is so true it should be repeated.

And it's not just the news media ... it has seeped horribly into the entertainment media.

I watch a lot of shows and I see political bias inserted (either slyly or overtly) all the time.  I actually e-mailed the network about a Law & Order SVU episode a couple of weeks ago and they are ruining Blue Bloods, one of my favorite cop shows.  I know they have to stick a little sop to the left in the show but last week a cop was fired for questioning a man who turned out to be illegal.  I complained about that also.

But, do they even listen?  There were 30,000 calls complaining about a woman on the View or some stupid show and, well, she's still there.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
McConnell could try that, but going back to a hard cloture rule stance just wouldn't fly with the base. The jig would be up at that point, and I think you'd start seeing all support bolt for the exits.

Let's face it, we couldn't get the 65+ seats to guarantee cloture and everyone knows it. Playing that smarmy little game to justify failure would be McConnell politically shooting himself in the head and ending it all, especially now that they've already jerked us around at the 50 vote simple majority.

Oh, I agree with you.  Chinless will still try it.  He really has nothing to lose.  But...this is conjecture.  I really doubt the GOP can get the 60 votes.  It's certainly fun to think about.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Yes, I choose to believe that there is a modicum of sanity left in the Republican Party and a bigger majority would make a huge difference.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yes, I choose to believe that there is a modicum of sanity left in the Republican Party and a bigger majority would make a huge difference.

I think there's plenty of sanity in the Party.  It's the leaders of it like McConnell and Ryan I'm not so sure about.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Oh, I agree with you.  Chinless will still try it.  He really has nothing to lose.  But...this is conjecture.  I really doubt the GOP can get the 60 votes.  It's certainly fun to think about.

That's why I want get get somewhere in the upper 50's for seats. It puts McConnell feet to the fire. If he tries to cover his butt with cloture excuses after that, then you know it's time to walk away for good.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:11:23 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.