Author Topic: BREAKING: Florida House Passes Gun Control Bill  (Read 2808 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: BREAKING: Florida House Passes Gun Control Bill
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 01:45:37 am »
Short acting poison is appealing too.

This girl tried to go Hattori Hanzo on a guy......

A Washington woman allegedly took a swipe at her boyfriend after she found the Tinder dating app on his phone. Emily Javier, 30, reportedly slashed her boyfriend with a samurai sword early Saturday in a violent act of vengeance when she suspected he was unfaithful, according to The Oregonian. Police said the bloody assault at their Camas home left 29-year-old Alex Lovell fighting for his life. “The only motive our detectives can come up with is it’s jealousy based,” Camas police officer Debrah Riedle told news station KOIN. “The victim is not confirming that but everything the suspect told us leads up to believe her motive was jealousy.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/9e354e49-47bc-35fa-bfc0-59401cde2c0c/ss_boyfriend%E2%80%99s-tinder-sends.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 01:46:57 am »
@Once-Ler

Seriously?   Obama did everything he could to restrict guns.
Then you should be able to cite a few examples.

Offline edpc

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 01:56:04 am »
Scott will sign it.    The bastard

He will sign something.  We just don't know what..yet. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 01:57:10 am »
Then you should be able to cite a few examples.

Fast and furious

Banking regulations which caused banks to close the accounts of thousands of firearm dealers

The increased regulatory actions which forced thousands of FFL to surrender their license.

To claim Obama is less anti gun is pure fantasy and the height of dishonesty.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2018, 02:02:38 am »
Fast and furious

Banking regulations which caused banks to close the accounts of thousands of firearm dealers

The increased regulatory actions which forced thousands of FFL to surrender their license.

To claim Obama is less anti gun is pure fantasy and the height of dishonesty.

I did a search on the article ed linked.  I found no reference to fast and furious, bank regulations, or surrendered licenses.  Do you have a link to these issues?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:04:44 am by Once-Ler »

Offline edpc

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2018, 02:02:44 am »
Did you read the article?  What do you oppose?

The fact he used the Social Security and VA to deem people unfit for 2A rights.

Smart gun technology that will inevitably get people killed.

Issuing orders by executive fiat, when we know the majority of problems were lack of enforcement of long existing law.

The reality his AG purposely ran guns into Mexico, resulting in the deaths of Border Agents, Charlie Hebdo employees, and unknown countless others.

Offline libertybele

Re: BREAKING: Florida House passes gun control bill
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2018, 02:18:47 am »
Here's a link to the Bill.

Too hard to read for me though.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2018/7026/BillText/er/PDF

Thanks for the link.  A lot of information and a  lengthy bill.  I scanned most of it.  I would hope that Governor Scott would return the bill with revisions; particularly the ban on bump stocks.  Training teachers/resource officers I think is very valid and makes sense...everything else IMHO becomes an infringement on the 2A.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2018, 04:17:27 am »
This girl tried to go Hattori Hanzo on a guy......

A Washington woman allegedly took a swipe at her boyfriend after she found the Tinder dating app on his phone. Emily Javier, 30, reportedly slashed her boyfriend with a samurai sword early Saturday in a violent act of vengeance when she suspected he was unfaithful, according to The Oregonian. Police said the bloody assault at their Camas home left 29-year-old Alex Lovell fighting for his life. “The only motive our detectives can come up with is it’s jealousy based,” Camas police officer Debrah Riedle told news station KOIN. “The victim is not confirming that but everything the suspect told us leads up to believe her motive was jealousy.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/9e354e49-47bc-35fa-bfc0-59401cde2c0c/ss_boyfriend%E2%80%99s-tinder-sends.html

Bitches with blades. Never trust 'em.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2018, 05:30:05 am »
Interesting that "classroom-only" teachers can't carry unless they are former LE or military.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2018, 12:51:11 pm »
President Trump has once again made the problem worse (or better as he would call it).  Does anybody remember the universe before Trump?  Please remind me how many guns Obama and Dubya controlled.

@Once-Ler

Please remind me how many guns Trump is controlling,other than the ones he has a license to carry,that is.

While at it,PLEASE remind us all of your heroes Bathhouse Barry and Dumbya having concealed permit carry licenses. Trump has had one for decades.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2018, 12:56:42 pm »
Bitches with blades. Never trust 'em.

@Frank Cannon

And you just KNOW the cops that were first on the scene were ready to shoot to kill when they screamed "drop the sword,bitch,or I will shoot you!" An insane woman with a knife is scary enough,but one with a Samurai sword in her hand would pin any sane man's "terror meter" needle in the red.

She's damn lucky she survived that arrest,

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2018, 01:05:35 pm »
Interesting that "classroom-only" teachers can't carry unless they are former LE or military.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the logic is on that one.  I had some really questionable PE teachers/coaches/administration back in the day.  One of them punched a kid in the chest, never saw him again after that day, one was recently put on trial along with his son for a bitcoin scam and one was just a doofus.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2018, 01:08:32 pm »
@Once-Ler

Please remind me how many guns Trump is controlling,other than the ones he has a license to carry,that is.

While at it,PLEASE remind us all of your heroes Bathhouse Barry and Dumbya having concealed permit carry licenses. Trump has had one for decades.

@sneakypete Do you not think the "take the guns first, due process later" statement a bit concerning? That's not exactly defending and upholding the Constitution, in my book.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2018, 01:23:30 pm »
@sneakypete Do you not think the "take the guns first, due process later" statement a bit concerning? That's not exactly defending and upholding the Constitution, in my book.

@RoosGirl

In CONTEXT,no,I don't because the gun owner is taken into custody at the same time the guns are,and the investigation begins immediately.

When people make threats in public and even people that know them are saying they are dangerous and need to be investigated,THAT is the time to seize their firearms TEMPORARILY until the facts are in.

Maybe you think it's  better to wait until after someone who has been threatening to murder masses of people has already murdered masses of people before taking him and his guns into custody?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2018, 01:30:37 pm »
@RoosGirl

In CONTEXT,no,I don't because the gun owner is taken into custody at the same time the guns are,and the investigation begins immediately.

When people make threats in public and even people that know them are saying they are dangerous and need to be investigated,THAT is the time to seize their firearms TEMPORARILY until the facts are in.

Maybe you think it's  better to wait until after someone who has been threatening to murder masses of people has already murdered masses of people before taking him and his guns into custody?

Yeah, I'd much rather people be killed.   *****rollingeyes*****

bleep trying to have a conversation about this with responses like yours.

Of course, if the person is in custody and not able to access their weapons it makes perfect sense to confiscate their weapons and make them jump through more hoops in the event it is found there's no reason to hold them.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2018, 01:33:52 pm »

@LauraTXNM

I think this makes sense .... if you're former law enforcement or military it would likely not be the first time you've aimed at a human being ... or aimed at a shooter in a chaotic situation.  They are less likely to panic or freeze, or get themselves killed.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2018, 01:44:20 pm »
@LauraTXNM

I think this makes sense .... if you're former law enforcement or military it would likely not be the first time you've aimed at a human being ... or aimed at a shooter in a chaotic situation.  They are less likely to panic or freeze, or get themselves killed.

@Right_in_Virginia

That's a myth.  Plenty of capable people inside and outside those organizations.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2018, 01:46:41 pm »
@LauraTXNM

While that is true, IMHO, those not ex-military or ex-law enforcement who are properly trained would be less likely to panic or freeze.  I'm not talking about your typical concealed class at a gun show, but a class that not only teaches one to handle a weapon, but also takes them through the mental exercises and different scenarios to prepare them mentally for carrying a gun. 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:48:09 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2018, 01:49:38 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

That's a myth.  Plenty of capable people inside and outside those organizations.

That's another demonstration of people thinking someone else should protect them.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2018, 01:50:37 pm »
Yeah, I'd much rather people be killed.   *****rollingeyes*****

bleep trying to have a conversation about this with responses like yours.

@RoosGirl

Don't blame ME if YOU can't handle the truth.

Of course, if the person is in custody and not able to access their weapons it makes perfect sense to confiscate their weapons and make them jump through more hoops in the event it is found there's no reason to hold them.

Calling you an idiot is bragging on you.  If there is no reason to hold them,the cops/courts MUST return their weapons.

Logic ain't your strong point,is it?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2018, 01:53:15 pm »
@LauraTXNM

That's a silly comment. Most cops have never drawn their weapon in their careers and not every military man is sent to a war zone. For crying out loud, I carry a weapon more than the average soldier because the are not allowed to outside of a conflict.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2018, 01:56:10 pm »
While that is true, IMHO, those not ex-military or ex-law enforcement who are properly trained would be less likely to panic or freeze.  I'm not talking about your typical concealed class at a gun show, but a class that not only teaches one to handle a weapon, but also takes them through the mental exercises and different scenarios to prepare them mentally for carrying a gun.

@libertybele

Sadly,it has been MY experience that there are many people who freak out and get terrified when you make them face the reality of understanding they might actually HAVE to shoot someone. Many people seem to live under the illusion that just having a gun will make the bad guys disappear. Real life just doesn't work out that way. If a bad guy thinks you are afraid to shoot,chances are he is going to take your gun away from you and shoot you with it.

That's not a problem I am ever going to have to face,and I have been in several situations where I MIGHT have even been justified in shooting if I had wanted. For some reason laughing at people who want to threaten you seems to throw them off and make them scared.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:56:59 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2018, 01:58:19 pm »
This give a pretty good breakdown of what the bill does and doesn't do:

Florida Gun Bill: What’s in It, and What Isn’t
NY Times, Mar 8, 2018, Maggie Astor

The gun control bill that the Florida Legislature passed on Wednesday was, in many respects, a major victory for the new activists of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. It was passed in defiance of the National Rifle Association and, if Gov. Rick Scott signs it, will be the first successful gun control measure in Florida in more than 20 years.

But it left out many of the biggest provisions the students and their supporters had sought, including bans on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. Here is a look at what is in the final bill, and what is not.

What the bill does

• Raise the minimum age. The bill would change the minimum age for all gun purchases to 21 from 18 — a provision that would have prohibited the Parkland gunman, Nikolas Cruz, 19, from legally buying the rifle he used in his massacre. This is a divergence from federal law, under which people cannot buy handguns from licensed dealers until they are 21, but can buy shotguns and rifles — often much deadlier than handguns — at 18. (Unlicensed sales, such as at gun shows, have looser restrictions.) Governor Scott and Senator Marco Rubio, a fellow Republican, endorsed the age increase last month.

Read more:  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/08/us/florida-gun-bill.html