Author Topic: Trump Administration Sues California Over Immigration Laws  (Read 945 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump Administration Sues California Over Immigration Laws
« on: March 07, 2018, 02:43:36 am »
Trump Administration Sues California Over Immigration Laws

By KATIE BENNER and JENNIFER MEDINAMARCH 6, 2018

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration escalated what had been a war of words over California’s immigration agenda, filing a lawsuit late Tuesday that amounted to a pre-emptive strike against the liberal state’s so-called sanctuary laws.

The Justice Department sued California; Gov. Jerry Brown; and the state’s attorney general, Xavier Becerra, over three state laws passed in recent months, saying they make it impossible for federal immigration officials to do their jobs and deport criminals who were born outside of the United States. The Justice Department called the laws unconstitutional and asked a judge to block them.

The lawsuit was the department’s boldest attack yet against California, one of the strongest opponents of the Trump administration’s efforts to curb immigration. It also served as a warning to Democratic lawmakers and elected officials nationwide who have enacted sanctuary policies that provide protections for undocumented immigrants.

more
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/us/politics/justice-department-california-sanctuary-cities.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fantom

Re: Trump Administration Sues California Over Immigration Laws
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 03:11:21 am »

Trump should put up border controls ...I.E. road blocks like at mexico... Ports of entry on any sanctuary State or such local.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 03:20:36 am »
I'll be interested to see how this case goes.  As far as I can tell, the CA laws don't actually cross any federal laws.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 03:20:49 am »

Trump should put up border controls ...I.E. road blocks like at mexico... Ports of entry on any sanctuary State or such local.

Good point/idea. Trump could simply close the borders between Mexico and California stopping all transport between them. California couldn't do squat about it.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 03:26:25 am »
Good point/idea. Trump could simply close the borders between Mexico and California stopping all transport between them. California couldn't do squat about it.

Could they prevent flights from Mexican to Californian cities?  What about cruise ships sailing from Puerto Vallarta to CA? 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 03:30:42 am »
Capital!
 :thumbsup:

55 Electoral votes.

Let's get them back in play.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline DB

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 03:33:42 am »
Yes I believe he could. Though I suspect that he'd have to close all immigration processing at the airport and not be selective about it coming from south of the border. The federal government is in control of all immigration kiosk/offices.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 03:40:39 am »
Capital!
 :thumbsup:

55 Electoral votes.

Let's get them back in play.

I'm guessing since CA continues to be a liberal cesspool long after Pete Wilson and Prop 187, CA will be more liberal after this plays out.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 03:42:04 am »
I'm guessing since CA continues to be a liberal cesspool long after Pete Wilson and Prop 187, CA will be more liberal after this plays out.

Yup.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 03:21:02 pm »
I hope this continues into the other Sanctuary states like Washington.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:21:23 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 04:42:54 pm »
blah, blah, blah!

When we see the lawbreakers that hold office being arrested, then we'll pay attention!
(And I suspect .. the lawbreakers who hold office will too) :shrug:
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline jpsb

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 04:55:13 pm »
blah, blah, blah!

When we see the lawbreakers that hold office being arrested, then we'll pay attention!

Yup, more talk blah, blah, blah

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 05:02:50 pm »
blah, blah, blah!

Sure that's the best solution.

This is a heck of a lot better then what's happening the last 16 years
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 05:23:46 pm »

How about just blockading the whole state?  No entry, no exit.  No commerce coming in or going out.  No more federal monies. 

(Well, let's wait till @DB and family escape to AZ first)

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 05:33:30 pm »
How about just blockading the whole state?  No entry, no exit.  No commerce coming in or going out.  No more federal monies.

Okay, I’d assume then CA would keep all the tax revenues it sends to the feds. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 05:47:38 pm »

Assuming the Feds keep all the money they send to CA, it might be a net gain for the rest of the nation.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 05:50:08 pm »

Perhaps, but could it be that California is getting more of our tax dollars than the state is paying in?  I don't know, but if that's so, we could all be saving a ton of money by cutting the state off.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 05:53:03 pm »
@Sanguine @Applewood

Actually, CA sends more to DC than it receives.  So that would be a net win for CA. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 06:06:21 pm »
@Sanguine @Applewood

Actually, CA sends more to DC than it receives.  So that would be a net win for CA.

No, ma'am.  Not when you figure in benefits to illegal aliens.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 06:06:25 pm »
Democrats just being Democrats. Just like 1861, defying federal law so they can keep their cheap labor.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 06:39:13 pm »
No, ma'am.  Not when you figure in benefits to illegal aliens.

Interesting idea.   I’m looking for those numbers right now.  I know the medical care program is state-, not federally-, funded. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 08:17:45 pm »
Interesting idea.   I’m looking for those numbers right now.  I know the medical care program is state-, not federally-, funded.

Make sure you include the Federal subsidies to the State programs.  That complicates things a little (although the Obamacare subsidies for Medicaid expansion are running out).
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jpsb

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 08:30:17 pm »
Make sure you include the Federal subsidies to the State programs.  That complicates things a little (although the Obamacare subsidies for Medicaid expansion are running out).

And do not forget the cost of education all those millions of little darlings. School lunches are not
cheap. And the cost of jailing them once they grow up.

Offline DB

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 08:31:17 pm »
@Sanguine @Applewood

Higher cost of living states are forced to pay a higher percentage of their citizen's incomes in federal taxes because of the moronic senators and reps from those states demanding more progressive income taxes. California is a prime example. When Boxer and Feinstein pushed for higher top income tax rates they were taking more from their high cost of living state and spreading it around the US.

Complete idiots.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 09:17:21 pm »
@Sanguine @Applewood

Do your figures include Federal Grants to State Entities such as research grants through HHS to the State University system?
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com