Author Topic: Democrats: 'Unsanitary' Politicians Sleeping in Their Offices Abuse Taxpayer Funds, Including Paul R  (Read 719 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
House Democrats are calling for an ethics investigation into lawmakers who sleep in their offices, saying the “unsanitary” practice is an abuse of taxpayer funds.

Well-known politicians who regularly bed down in their workspaces include Speaker Paul Ryan and Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, Politico reported.

The number of those who sleep in their offices ranges from 40 to more than 100, the website said. Most of those who sleep at work are male Republicans, though women and Democrats are also implicated.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-apos-unsanitary-apos-politicians-175846776.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
When he was asked about it in 2015, Paul Ryan defended his habit. “I get up very early in the morning. I work out. I work until about 11:30 at night. I go to bed. And I do the same thing the next day,” Ryan said. “It actually makes me more efficient. I can actually get more work done by sleeping on a cot in my office.”

This isn't that big of a deal, but I'd be more inclined to back him 100% if they were actually doing something and putting landmark legislation on the President's desk.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Victoria33

This means standing up and walking around and sitting, is sanitary, but sleeping is unsanitary?  Since Democrats are complaining, what do they do that makes sleeping unsanitary?

Offline Fantom

So, is Maxine/cbc a blatant racist.... or telling us 'Bout her/their bedroom/sleeping habits.  :pondering:

Hey dems..smell Ya' latter.

Much latter , after a mornin' shower it would seem.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

This means standing up and walking around and sitting, is sanitary, but sleeping is unsanitary?  Since Democrats are complaining, what do they do that makes sleeping unsanitary?

Well, when ones lays down with dogs.....
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
I don't get the "unsanitary" claims.  BUT the article discusses the fact that legislators who live in their offices are essentially receiving free rent, untilities, and cleaning services.  Should taxpayers be subsidizing all the lawmakers' living expenses in D.C.???
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline montanajoe

Most folks think a congressional "office" is a 8x10 cubicle. If fact they are what most would consider an luxury apartment... :shrug:

Offline LauraTXNM

Most folks think a congressional "office" is a 8x10 cubicle. If fact they are what most would consider an luxury apartment... :shrug:

Bingo!
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Frank Cannon

“reflect negatively upon the decorum and credibility of the House as a body and as an institution.”

I think dirty whorelike looking people like Maxine Waters and Tammy Duckworth ruined decorum just being there.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Nice to see it written up, but the voters already Told us Paul Ryan stunk when they gave Bammy his 2nd term.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline mountaineer

When I was doing an internship on Capitol Hill, Rep. Jim Jeffords lived fulltime in his congressional office. Too cheap to get an apartment.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I don't get the "unsanitary" claims.  BUT the article discusses the fact that legislators who live in their offices are essentially receiving free rent, untilities, and cleaning services.  Should taxpayers be subsidizing all the lawmakers' living expenses in D.C.???
Should we be paying more than we need to for living expenses for Congressmen in one of the most overpriced real estate markets in America?

I say, go ahead and use them. It's more efficient that way. We as taxpayers save no money by making them leave; in fact, they may ask for rent credits.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline LauraTXNM

Should we be paying more than we need to for living expenses for Congressmen in one of the most overpriced real estate markets in America?

I say, go ahead and use them. It's more efficient that way. We as taxpayers save no money by making them leave; in fact, they may ask for rent credits.

Right now we pay their salaries, plus we pay for their offices.  When they use those offices as apartments, we then pay their home utilities as well.  I think they should reimburse taxpayers for their living costs, if they want to stay in their offices.

Offline Frank Cannon

Right now we pay their salaries, plus we pay for their offices.  When they use those offices as apartments, we then pay their home utilities as well.  I think they should reimburse taxpayers for their living costs, if they want to stay in their offices.

I don't know if you ever were involved in politics, but those offices in DC don't shut down over night. There is always some staffers working or something going on so that you wouldn't know the difference in a utility bill between someone sleeping there and someone not.

If you want to be outraged about something how about Reps who don't reside in their districts. The mentally challenged and morally repugnant race whore Maxine Waters comes to mind. She lives in Bel Air and represents a ghetto in LA. That there is an outrage.

Offline Applewood

When I was a young pup, I had a temp job working for an underling who reported directly to the CEO.  One day, the boss instructed me to deliver something to his boss.  It was after hours.  The CEO's secretary had gone home and I was just going to leave the item on her deak.  But then I heard a voice from the "inner sanctum" bidding me to come in. 

I was a scared kid, but the CEO turned out to be a really nice guy.  I complimented him on his beautiful office, and he proceeded to give me a mini-tour.  Yes, it was much like a luxury apartment or a penthouse hotel suite.  He had a sofabed, a private bath with shower and a small kitchen.  He explained that while he worked in Pittsburgh, his real home was in West Virginia, so when he worked late, or had too much to drink at a business dinner, or if the weather was too lousy to drive home, it was better for him to just stay in his office. 

I think it's good to have a place to crash sometimes, but if a guy is staying in his office night after night, away from his family, something is wrong in that marriage.  And as a taxpayer, I don't want my hard earned tax dollars being spent on, say, a $10,000 dining room table.  If the politician wants fancy furnishings, he should pay for them himself.

Offline mountaineer

If you want to be outraged about something how about Reps who don't reside in their districts. The mentally challenged and morally repugnant race whore Maxine Waters comes to mind. She lives in Bel Air and represents a ghetto in LA. That there is an outrage.
Yes, that practice is widespread. Richard Gephardt, John D. Rockefeller IV, Mad Maxine - the list is long of representatives and even senators who improperly represent a district or state.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org