Author Topic: Maryland Senate passes bill requiring presidential candidates to release their tax returns  (Read 381 times)

Offline Suppressed

Maryland Senate passes bill requiring presidential candidates to release their tax returns
BY JACQUELINE THOMSEN - 03/06/18 12:10 PM EST
http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/376953-maryland-senate-passes-bill-requiring-presidential-candidates-release

The Maryland state Senate passed a bill Monday requiring that all presidential candidates release their tax returns in order to appear on the state’s ballot.

The senate passed the bill 28-17, with all but four Democrats supporting the measure, The Baltimore Sun reported. The legislation also applies to vice presidential candidates.

Republicans, as well as some Democrats, slammed the bill for too clearly targeting President Trump. Trump broke with decades of precedent by not releasing his tax returns during the 2016 presidential race.

Trump claimed he couldn't release the returns because of an ongoing audit. However, the IRS said nothing was preventing Trump from sharing the documents.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
If I was a Pubbie candidate for president, I'd ignore this law.

Why should we care if a Republican candidate "appears" on the Maryland ballot, or not?

What are their chances of winning there?

Offline Fantom

So another State could require a birth certificate? That at least would address a Constitutional requirement. And stand up in Court.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Frank Cannon

Why should we care if a Republican candidate "appears" on the Maryland ballot, or not?

Bingo

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Bingo

Connect the dots.

Candidates today, Voters tomorrow.

Then we'll have to listen to endless crap from the left about a Graduated scale (like the income tax) applied to votes based on income.

The more you make, the less your vote should count.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Clinton had a similar opinion about Wisconsin.  A presidential election affects more than the electoral college.  I doubt Maryland's republican Governor wants the candidates to ignore the race...unless it's Trump

Offline corbe

I would be the first to admit that my 'Neverism' may be vagrantly displayed in this post but I have always thought his Tax Returns are his 'Kryptonite'.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I would be the first to admit that my 'Neverism' may be vagrantly displayed in this post but I have always thought his Tax Returns are his 'Kryptonite'.
Releasing them can't help him.  Remember Clinton's taking tax breaks for donated underwear?  Trump fans don't want to know.  Hell they don't want to get on line and post here.  Trump had about 2 good months in Dec and Jan when everybody was talking about tax cuts and bonuses, jobs coming back, and a more disciplined administration.  Now we are back to scandal, dysfunction, and betrayal.

It has gotten so bad that competing in all 50 states is a chore not worth the effort if candidates are limited by releasing tax returns formerly assumed to be mandatory.

Offline corbe

Not only his Charity or lack there of will be exposed but also that he's not worth half of what he says he is. I don't have a problem with either, per se, at this late point in the game. 
   He's all of our President now, at least until 2019 when the Damn Dem Congress Impeaches him.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

Not only his Charity or lack there of will be exposed but also that he's not worth half of what he says he is. I don't have a problem with either, per se, at this late point in the game. 
   He's all of our President now, at least until 2019 when the Damn Dem Congress Impeaches him.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that there will be some members of his own party that will vote along with the DEMS. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
Unconstitutional as it places an additional burden on the candidate(s) that what is required by the Constitution.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
I'll go out on a limb here and say that there will be some members of his own party that will vote along with the DEMS.

The Dems who don't get kicked like a bad habit.

The DNC is broke and without money they are dead in the water, Media whoring for them notwithstanding.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Or what happens?  No presidential vote occurs in the state so its vote for president is neutered.

Great thinking from a stupid state.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington