Author Topic: Christopher Steele, the Man Behind the Trump Dossier How the ex-spy tried to warn the world about Tr  (Read 916 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Christopher Steele, the Man Behind the Trump Dossier
How the ex-spy tried to warn the world about Trump’s ties to Russia.

By Jane Mayer

In January, after a long day at his London office, Christopher Steele, the former spy turned private investigator, was stepping off a commuter train in Farnham, where he lives, when one of his two phones rang. He’d been looking forward to dinner at home with his wife, and perhaps a glass of wine. It had been their dream to live in Farnham, a town in Surrey with a beautiful Georgian high street, where they could afford a house big enough to accommodate their four children, on nearly an acre of land. Steele, who is fifty-three, looked much like the other businessmen heading home, except for the fact that he kept his phones in a Faraday bag—a pouch, of military-tested double-grade fabric, designed to block signal detection.

A friend in Washington, D.C., was calling with bad news: two Republican senators, Lindsey Graham and Charles Grassley, had just referred Steele’s name to the Department of Justice, for a possible criminal investigation. They were accusing Steele—the author of a secret dossier that helped trigger the current federal investigation into President Donald Trump’s possible ties to Russia—of having lied to the very F.B.I. officers he’d alerted about his findings. The details of the criminal referral were classified, so Steele could not know the nature of the allegations, let alone rebut them, but they had something to do with his having misled the Bureau about contacts that he’d had with the press. For nearly thirty years, Steele had worked as a close ally of the United States, and he couldn’t imagine why anyone would believe that he had been deceptive. But lying to an F.B.I. officer is a felony, an offense that can be punished by up to five years in prison.

more
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/03/12/christopher-steele-the-man-behind-the-trump-dossier

more here
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,306864.0.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:11:35 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

What a tear jerker. Poor Steele. Thank God he has a piece of shit loser like Mayer to come to his defense.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What a tear jerker. Poor Steele. Thank God he has a piece of shit loser like Mayer to come to his defense.

People read The New Yorker and think it's straight news.  This piece is pure crap from start to finish, including the words "and" and "the."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
This is quite a thorough report, with points unfavorable to both "sides", if we choose to call them that.  If anyone's interested, there's an hour-long interview with the reporter on Fresh Air today.  The allegation about Mitt Romney is an interesting little tidbit.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline endicom

Too long and too much a paean to poor naive Steele.

This stood out:

The dossier had infuriated both Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump by divulging allegedly corrupt dealings between them. “You’ve got oligarchs running both superpowers,” the friend said. “And, incredibly, they both hate this same guy.”

Offline montanajoe

I think something that someone who has not spent any time outside outside of the United States has a hard time understanding is just how pervasive the Russian Mafia is, they make the Italians look like choir boys. In order for any hotel/resort company to operate outside of the US and its territories  the Russian Mafia must allow it and the company has to pay vig..

Putin is an unabashed agent of the Russian mafia and internationally the Russian government and the Russian Mafia are indistinguishable.  I'm not sure if Trump is smart enough or has the ego to realize that he has been the guy paying the vig to operate all these years ...

The Russians, since 1921, through the USRR, and to today have sought to undermine the US government and the Capitalistic system, with Trump and the blind support of his followers it appears they have be best shot in 100 years of accomplishing their goals... :shrug:

Offline Frank Cannon

This is quite a thorough report, with points unfavorable to both "sides", if we choose to call them that.  If anyone's interested, there's an hour-long interview with the reporter on Fresh Air today.  The allegation about Mitt Romney is an interesting little tidbit.

It's all unsubstantiated bullshit you Leftist hack.

And no. There isn't even 3 minutes on NPR that are interesting in any fashion. It's all latte drinking Subaru driving Commie Pinko pablum.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:40:56 am by LauraTXNM »
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Victoria33

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Tried to warn the world by making up stuff.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Tried to warn the world by making up stuff.

The 'dossier' as it's called is actually a collection of memos over time, from different sources.  Steele had not been to Russia for years.  He was known to Russian intel and figured he could not effectively work there.  You can believe the various Russian services were aware of his contacts and sources. 

Given what we know about the internet troll operation, we'll probably find out someday these sources were either being fed disinformation or actively participating in providing it to Steele.  Many parts of it have been examined by independent sources and they determined parts had been written by people who did not speak English as a first language.

The idea Steele set out to sabotage the election with this document seems a bit of a stretch to me.  More likely, he was known to Russian operatives to be credible in the west, so they used his reputation to feed BS and cause disarray.  Someone with his background should have seen it was too good to be true.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:28:37 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ConstitutionRose

The 'dossier' as it's called is actually a collection of memos over time, from different sources.  Steele had not been to Russia for years.  He was known to Russian intel and figured he could not effectively work there.  You can believe the various Russian services were aware of his contacts and sources. 

Given what we know about the internet troll operation, we'll probably find out someday these sources were either being fed disinformation or actively participating in providing it to Steele.  Many parts of it have been examined by independent sources and they determined parts had been written by people who did not speak English as a first language.

The idea Steele set out to sabotage the election with this document seems a bit of a stretch to me.  More likely, he was known to Russian operatives to be credible in the west, so they used his reputation to feed BS and cause disarray.  Someone with his background should have seen it was too good to be true.

I read the whole l-o-n-g thing.  I agree with your assessment.   To me it seems like Steele may have seen himself as some kind of hero.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.