Author Topic: Maryland Senate passes bill requiring presidential, vice presidential candidates to release tax retu  (Read 439 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Maryland Senate passes bill requiring presidential, vice presidential candidates to release tax returns
by Melissa Quinn | Mar 6, 2018, 11:43 AM

The Maryland Senate passed a bill Monday night that would require certain candidates for president and vice president to release copies of their tax returns, legislation aimed at President Trump.

The measure passed the Democrat-controlled state Senate with support from all but four Democratic senators, though some Democrats, along with their Republican colleagues, balked at the legislation.

“Show me in the Constitution where it says that’s a qualification for being president of the United States,” said state Sen. James Brochin, a Democrat representing Baltimore County, according to the Baltimore Sun. “We can’t go along and make up rules when we don’t like the president of the United States.”

Senate Minority Whip Stephen Hershey, a Republican, called the measure “the most childish bill that I’ve ever seen.”

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/maryland-senate-passes-bill-requiring-presidential-vice-presidential-candidates-to-release-tax-returns/article/2650802
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Maryland Senate passes bill requiring presidential, vice presidential candidates to release tax returns
by Melissa Quinn | Mar 6, 2018, 11:43 AM

The Maryland Senate passed a bill Monday night that would require certain candidates for president and vice president to release copies of their tax returns, legislation aimed at President Trump.

The measure passed the Democrat-controlled state Senate with support from all but four Democratic senators, though some Democrats, along with their Republican colleagues, balked at the legislation.

“Show me in the Constitution where it says that’s a qualification for being president of the United States,” said state Sen. James Brochin, a Democrat representing Baltimore County, according to the Baltimore Sun. “We can’t go along and make up rules when we don’t like the president of the United States.”

Senate Minority Whip Stephen Hershey, a Republican, called the measure “the most childish bill that I’ve ever seen.”

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/maryland-senate-passes-bill-requiring-presidential-vice-presidential-candidates-to-release-tax-returns/article/2650802

Why stop there?  Why not ALL relevant documents?  School records, birth certificates, all of it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Each state can make their own voter regulations.   I wonder if this will stand
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Right.....because they wouldn’t want to risk not being on the MD ballot and missing out on those electoral votes they’ll never see.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

I could see Gov. Hogan vetoing it.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Just_Victor

They are creating a test for office that the Constitution does not allow.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

True.  But that never stopped the rats before.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

I'm not getting how requiring full disclosure creates an unconstitutional test.  Would someone please be kind enough to explain that to me?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Just_Victor

I'm not getting how requiring full disclosure creates an unconstitutional test.  Would someone please be kind enough to explain that to me?

The Constitution clearly spells out the requirements for office.  Releasing tax returns, medical records, college record are not part of that.  Maryland is trying to force additional requirements by refusing access to the ballot.  Unconstitutional by any rational measure.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

I agree, it is Unconstitutional. Just imagine some of the Democrats, if they had to release tax returns, Waters, Pelosi, etc.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The Constitution clearly spells out the requirements for office.  Releasing tax returns, medical records, college record are not part of that.  Maryland is trying to force additional requirements by refusing access to the ballot.  Unconstitutional by any rational measure.

So how are we to know if someone meets ANY of the requirements spelled out in the Constitution if they are not required to disclose anything?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

I love when localities make these petty and vindictive rules. They always come back to bite them on the ass.

Offline Hoodat

So they keep Trump's name off of the Maryland ballot in 2020.  So what?  As if the Republican candidate had a shot at those 10 electoral votes from the People's Republic of Maryland.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Just_Victor

So how are we to know if someone meets ANY of the requirements spelled out in the Constitution if they are not required to disclose anything?

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.

Seems clear to me.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Seems clear to me.

Yes!  It is VERY clear!  So how are we to know if someone meets those requirement unless he provides the proper documentation?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Just_Victor

Yes!  It is VERY clear!  So how are we to know if someone meets those requirement unless he provides the proper documentation?

What part of anyone's tax, medical, or college records are required here?  Prove that you are 35 years old, 14 years a resident, and a "Natural born citizen."   I can't figure out how Maryland's extra-constitutional requirement is allowed uner the Constitution.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Who cares?
It's Maryland.
When do you think the next Republican candidate for president will win there?

Offline Fantom

Voter regulations, not Constitutional requirements of Office. Their are only two..... 34 years old, American at birth.... according to the relevant law at the time.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

Who cares?
It's Maryland.
When do you think the next Republican candidate for president will win there?

If they willfully violate Constitutional requirements of office, then their vote in the Electoral College is void. They are in a state of rebellion against the Republic.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass