Author Topic: North Korea willing to give up its nuclear weapons  (Read 541 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

North Korea willing to give up its nuclear weapons
« on: March 06, 2018, 12:15:02 pm »
North Korea willing to give up its nuclear weapons
NY Post, Mar 6, 2018, Yaron Steinbuch

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has told the South that he is willing to begin talks with the US on abandoning its nuclear weapons and that he would suspend all weapons tests during negotiations, according to reports.

South Korean national security chief Chung Eui Yong announced Pyongyang’s agreement on a moratorium of nuclear and missile tests and said the two Koreas will hold a summit in late April.

Chung said the summit between Kim and President Moon Jae-in would be held in the demilitarized zone between the two Koreas, which also would open a communication hotline, according to CNN.

“The North Korean side clearly stated its willingness to denuclearize,” according to a statement by Moon’s office, the New York Times reported.

“It made it clear that it would have no reason to keep nuclear weapons if the military threat to the North was eliminated and its security guaranteed.

More: https://nypost.com/2018/03/06/north-korea-willing-to-give-up-its-nuclear-weapons/

Re: North Korea willing to give up its nuclear weapons
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 12:27:30 pm »
North Korea's Yongbyon nuclear reactor shows signs of operation
Kyodo News, Mar 6, 2018

WASHINGTON − The reactor at North Korea's Yongbyon nuclear complex continues to show signs of operation, suggesting that the country may be resuming the production of weapons-grade plutonium, a U.S. institute monitoring the site said Monday.

Steam vapor plumes were seen emanating from the 5 megawatt reactor facility and nearby river ice was melting, based on commercial satellite imagery from Feb. 25, the U.S.-Korea Institute of Johns Hopkins University said on its 38 North website.

While vapor plumes have been noted a few times over the past year, no cooling water discharges have been observed to support this conclusion (on the reactor's operation). However, we cannot rule out that the North Koreans may have suppressed this signature by extending the discharge pipe into the river," it said.

"If the reactor is operating again, as the evidence suggests, it means North Korea has resumed production of plutonium presumably for its nuclear weapons program," it added.

In the southern parts of Yongbyon, a military tent camp has also been set up and increased personnel have been observed around the complex, the website said.

More: https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2018/03/1eb3f5d75807-n-koreas-yongbyon-nuclear-reactor-shows-signs-of-operation.html

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 01:48:19 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

"The previous two summits were held in 2000 and 2007, respectively, under South Korean presidents Kim Dae-jung and Roh Moo-hyun who both advocated dialogue with Pyongyang."

Think "The Summits" will work now?  I have my doubts.  Unfortunately.

**nononono*
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 04:27:12 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

"The previous two summits were held in 2000 and 2007, respectively, under South Korean presidents Kim Dae-jung and Roh Moo-hyun who both advocated dialogue with Pyongyang."

**nononono*

But don't you think we can list this as another smashing foreign policy success of the Trump administration?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 06:38:09 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

**nononono*

I have serious doubts that NK isn't doing anything other than buying time. 

But maybe this is just the cynic in me @Slip18    :cool:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 11:26:20 pm »
I don't believe this for a moment.

The offer to disarm will probably be offered in exchange for money -- in huge amounts.

In other words, if you want our weapons, PAY for them.

And even after we do, I don't believe they'll fully "hand over" everything they have.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 11:37:50 pm »
But don't you think we can list this as another smashing foreign policy success of the Trump administration?

We'll see what develops,  but as of now, damn right I'll give the credit to President Trump and his 360 degree reversal of Obama's appeasement. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:38:11 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 11:47:44 pm »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 12:01:31 am »
And the grifting begins.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 01:46:55 am »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 02:14:37 am »
Thank you Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and President Donald Trump and everyone else involved!  :patriot:

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 02:17:34 am »
I don't believe this for a moment.

The offer to disarm will probably be offered in exchange for money -- in huge amounts.

In other words, if you want our weapons, PAY for them.

And even after we do, I don't believe they'll fully "hand over" everything they have.

Exactly we've been down this road before...and looks like we are going to do it again.

The problem is that there is no realistic public alternative for the US...my hope is with Mathis there might be a covert alternative but I had the same hope with Rumsfield... :shrug: