Author Topic: DACA: What Does March 5 Mean For 'Dreamers'?  (Read 328 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
DACA: What Does March 5 Mean For 'Dreamers'?
« on: March 05, 2018, 12:57:46 am »
When the Trump administration announced in September that it was rescinding an Obama-era program that provides work permits and protection from deportation to hundreds of thousands of undocumented immigrants who were brought to the country as children, it set March 5 as a deadline for Congress to come up with a legislative fix.

Since then, two federal judges — one in California, the other in New York — have issued injunctions temporarily blocking the administration from ending the program, known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, and ordering it to resume processing renewal applications. The administration is appealing the California order.

About 11,000 people have submitted renewal applications since Jan. 10, a day after the first injunction was issued, according to figures released last week by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Also last week, the Supreme Court declined to hear the case because it had not been reviewed by an appeals court, leaving the program in place for now.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/new-jersey/2018/03/04/daca-what-does-march-5-mean-dreamers/378883002/
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: DACA: What Does March 5 Mean For 'Dreamers'?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 12:58:34 am »
What Happens On March 5?

Nearly 700,000 undocumented immigrants who came to the country as children are currently participating in the program, including about 17,400 New Jersey residents. For these DACA participants, who are known as Dreamers, the only date that matters is the day their work permits expire. Even when the administration set the March 5 deadline, it still planned to honor the expiration dates on the work permits, some of which are valid until March 2020.

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 02:00:18 am »
   If he was serious about DACA he would have done what he promised his Faithful Followers throughout his campaign~on DAY 1, abolish it!!!  Instead, he kicked it over to our worthless Congress with some arbitrary deadline.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 02:05:09 am »
   If he was serious about DACA he would have done what he promised his Faithful Followers throughout his campaign~on DAY 1, abolish it!!!  Instead, he kicked it over to our worthless Congress with some arbitrary deadline.

More than one way tequila a mockingbird.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 02:06:48 am »

March 5th and interpreting the dreamers.

Maybe sinko De Mayo dos equis?
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline edpc

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 02:26:02 am »

I kinda understand not doing it on day one.  He needed to get Gorsuch confirmed first and you couldn't rely on someone not defecting from the original 52.  However, it could have been addressed after he was confirmed and we'd probably have DACA before the SCOTUS by now.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 02:37:58 am »

I kinda understand not doing it on day one.  He needed to get Gorsuch confirmed first and you couldn't rely on someone not defecting from the original 52.  However, it could have been addressed after he was confirmed and we'd probably have DACA before the SCOTUS by now.

DACA should not be in the Courts. It was a EQ by obama, Trump rescinded it with a EQ.

What is not counted on is obama/so called judges wielding Executive power from the bench. This is the Constitutional crises. SCOTUS will strike them down eventually, but they will slowplay/obstruct Trump... run out the clock.

Hopefully midterms will see the left/marxist struck down. Hold the House at near same numbers, and at least eight seats in the Senate.

I really do not want more in the Senate because a 60- 61 seat majority would allow the scum like McCain/Flake to rule on cloture. I prefer a 56-58 R Senate, then they can nuke cloture altogether and pas a real agenda, make 2020 a referendum on it.

Should such come to pass, would I prefer they exorcise some power... and eliminate the 9th Circus in toto.

Hey, a man can dream right? MLK

Frederick Douglass

Offline edpc

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 11:02:56 am »
DACA should not be in the Courts. It was a EQ by obama, Trump rescinded it with a EQ.

That is true. However, based on the Islamic nation immigration restrictions challenge at the outset, you knew anything related to rescinding DACA would be in the courts. That leads to an appeal, which leads to SCOTUS.  It was foreseeable.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 11:05:05 am »

That is true. However, based on the Islamic nation immigration restrictions challenge at the outset, you knew anything related to rescinding DACA would be in the courts. That leads to an appeal, which leads to SCOTUS.  It was foreseeable.

And it gives him the perfect out for not doing anything.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline edpc

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 11:19:38 am »
This argument before SCOTUS should really only be about Constitutional authority.  DACA, for all its flaws, only gave applicants temporary stays under executive authority.  They get 2 years per approved application.  There's no option for extension when the program ends.  If the court bestows the perpetual right to remain until a legislative solution is found, it'll rank with the worst decisions like Roe and Dredd Scott.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 11:31:18 am »
The Illegal Alien 'Dream' Deferred for Good
TownHall, Mar 5, 2018, Arthur Schaper

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,306610.msg1622605/topicseen.html#msg1622605

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 01:44:07 pm »
Rep. Steve Stivers, R–Upper Arlington, said despite the approaching election — election years are notorious for being legislative black holes — he still believes Congress will act.

“For these individual kids, it means the world,” Stivers said. “It means being able to work, to go to school, to live their lives or not. I want to help and I think we should.”

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/national-govt--politics/congress-puts-daca-decision-back-burner/KE77exnX89JEy5ozM186YL/

My former representative.  Between him and Kasich, I’m glad I bailed.  The best way to curb further illegal immigration is to make Mexico a place people don’t want to flee in droves.  How about we help them get back so they can MMGFAC?

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:49:18 pm by edpc »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 02:20:48 pm »

My former representative.  Between him and Kasich, I’m glad I bailed.  The best way to curb further illegal immigration is to make Mexico a place people don’t want to flee in droves.  How about we help them get back so they can MMGFAC?

The problem is...at least it was this way when I had a conversation with one of the execs from Azteca Milling...is that Mexico has no real middle class.  They have the poor and they have the rich and the way the rich deal with their poor population is to send them North.

The Mexican government does a lot of stuff under the table to encourage and support their own people illegally coming to this country.  Until we stop that we'd better build that wall high...and get it done pretty quickly.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!