Author Topic: Trump says maybe US will have a president for life someday  (Read 1467 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Imagine if Obama said this.

President Donald Trump says he thinks it’s great that China’s president now holds that office for life and muses that maybe the U.S. will do the same someday.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-says-maybe-us-will-have-a-president-for-life-someday/2018/03/03/b95ac0e4-1f4c-11e8-98f5-ceecfa8741b6_story.html?utm_term=.776b0a3f9ba2

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Trump says maybe US will have a president for life someday
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 05:03:23 am »
Like JFK?

Too soon?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 05:10:08 am »
It wouldn't surprise me if the predictable reactions to his tweets provide the President with abundent entertainment.   88devil

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 05:13:20 am »
It wouldn't surprise me if the predictable reactions to his tweets provide the President with abundent entertainment.   88devil

You must be talking about the predictable reactions from his true believers that always have excuses for the stupid things he says and tweets.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 06:54:58 am »
President Trump really does revel in the strength of the anger and disgust he inspires in voters.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 12:51:53 pm »

It wouldn't surprise me if his fans think having him as president for life is a swell idea. 

As I recall, when rumors swirled that Obama and the Democrats were going to somehow arrange for him to have a third term, people were up in arms.  But if Trump were  to do the same, it would probably be ok with at least some of his supporters.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 12:57:15 pm »
It wouldn't surprise me if his fans think having him as president for life is a swell idea. 

As I recall, when rumors swirled that Obama and the Democrats were going to somehow arrange for him to have a third term, people were up in arms.  But if Trump were  to do the same, it would probably be ok with at least some of his supporters.

Isn't he already into his 70s?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 01:01:38 pm »

Okay Trump.  We realize on daily basis how stupid you are.  Now you are talking "dangerous"
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 01:03:27 pm »
Isn't he already into his 70s?

Well, my grandmother's favorite saying was, "only the good die young."  She lived to be 90. 

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 01:20:06 pm »
"Chinese President Xi Jinping recently consolidated power. Trump told the gathering: “He’s now president for life. President for life. And he’s great.” Trump added: “I think it’s great. Maybe we’ll give that a shot someday.”"

I know this is might be WAPO / CNN hit piece, but if there is truth to this, I think serious discussions need to be underway within GOP around  DJT's  sanity.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 01:20:49 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 01:22:19 pm »
Well, my grandmother's favorite saying was, "only the good die young."  She lived to be 90.

I always liked the story about the 47 year old French guy that promised to pay 90 year old Jeanne Calment rent on her property and assume ownership when she died.  He passed away at 77, while she lived to be 122.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 01:23:16 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 01:35:42 pm »

I'm already "entertained"....seeing our friend @AbaraXas rushing to post this.

888high58888
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 01:51:24 pm »
"Chinese President Xi Jinping recently consolidated power. Trump told the gathering: “He’s now president for life. President for life. And he’s great.” Trump added: “I think it’s great. Maybe we’ll give that a shot someday.”"  I know this is might be WAPO / CNN hit piece, but if there is truth to this, I think serious discussions need to be underway within GOP around  DJT's  sanity.
@catfish1957

It's on tape as in recorded.  There was another thread about this and I said he wants to be "the" dictator of all time, tell everyone in the country what they can and cannot do, and require "credit" from each person for his/her being alive, and the dangerous part is, he doesn't see a problem with this.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 02:19:30 pm »
I'm already "entertained"....seeing our friend @AbaraXas rushing to post this.   888high58888

I've given up hope that folks around here would someday "get" the President's sense of humor @DCPatriot

But this would require them to stop looking for every fly in every ointment ....  and finding flies is apparently the reason they live.   :shrug:

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 03:08:02 pm »
@catfish1957

It's on tape as in recorded.  There was another thread about this and I said he wants to be "the" dictator of all time, tell everyone in the country what they can and cannot do, and require "credit" from each person for his/her being alive, and the dangerous part is, he doesn't see a problem with this.

DJT is rapidly approaching bat shit crazy status.  It is imperative that the GOP gets Pence in the bullpen, (distancing himself), and effectively work toward removal from office (contingency planning).  The man is trending toward madness. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 03:17:05 pm by catfish1957 »

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 03:11:56 pm »
I really do hope Trump was just kidding, and he may well have been.

On the other hand, if they start wheeling golden toilets into the West Wing, we're in trouble.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 03:15:31 pm »
I really do hope Trump was just kidding, and he may well have been.

On the other hand, if they start wheeling golden toilets into the West Wing, we're in trouble.

I would think the topic of lifetime dictator of a sitting POTUS would not be a topic of "kidding"

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 03:22:43 pm »
I would think the topic of lifetime dictator of a sitting POTUS would not be a topic of "kidding"
I would have thought so too, but we have a President who was born without a filter between his brain and his mouth.

Sometimes, that results in refreshing honesty (especially so in the wake of Clinton and Obama).

Too many other times, though....  **nononono*
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 03:31:29 pm »
President Trump really does revel in the strength of the anger and disgust he inspires in voters.

This is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black @Once-Ler

How ever would you fill your days and nights if not for dissing the President?

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 04:07:59 pm »
Quote from: different article
In fact Trump joked – and it was a joke – that he might have to try that here someday.

It’s not the joke that bothers me, but once again Trump praising an authoritarian. Remember when he congratulated Erdogan after he seized power in Turkey? Well now he appears to be doing the same thing with Xi, speaking of it like it’s a-okay and that there’s nothing wrong with it: “And look he was able to do that. I think it’s great.”

http://therightscoop.com/i-think-its-great-trump-praises-chinese-president-for-making-himself-president-for-life-audio/

Good grief, Trump does my Blood Pressure no good at all. I had to get up and walk around the room after reading this junk.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:09:16 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 04:24:38 pm »
http://therightscoop.com/i-think-its-great-trump-praises-chinese-president-for-making-himself-president-for-life-audio/

Good grief, Trump does my Blood Pressure no good at all. I had to get up and walk around the room after reading this junk.

Visit this thread and click on the audio link in the article .. it should calm you down @Sighlass

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,306545.0.html

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 04:38:42 pm »
Visit this thread and click on the audio link in the article .. it should calm you down @Sighlass

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,306545.0.html

Did you even read what @Sighlass said?  It's not a question of whether Trump was joking.  It's pretty clear that he is, but that's not the point. 

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 04:42:57 pm »
Did you even read what @Sighlass said?  It's not a question of whether Trump was joking.  It's pretty clear that he is, but that's not the point.

Fools like RIV think joking about a dictatorship takeover, stated from a sitting POTUS are a hoot.  Pathetic Lot.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 05:46:31 pm »
Fools like RIV think joking about a dictatorship takeover, stated from a sitting POTUS are a hoot.  Pathetic Lot.

They are just the fulfillment of what Trump himself said about going out on 5th Avenue and shooting someone in broad daylight and not losing a single devotee.  His rabid acolytes will defend absolutely everything he says and does as divine, right, good and harmless.

Just like the Obama hordes did for their messiah.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 06:22:58 pm »
I know this is might be WAPO / CNN hit piece, but if there is truth to this, I think serious discussions need to be underway within GOP around  DJT's  sanity.

His supporters tell us he's sane.  This must be power-hungry evil.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn