Author Topic: Trump threatens EU with auto tariffs  (Read 732 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump threatens EU with auto tariffs
« on: March 03, 2018, 09:41:27 pm »
Trump threatens EU with auto tariffs
by Joel Gehrke | Mar 3, 2018, 1:52 PM

President Trump threatened to impose tariffs on the European Union, in what would be an economic counter-strike to Europe’s expected response to impending steel tariffs.

“If the E.U. wants to further increase their already massive tariffs and barriers on U.S. companies doing business there, we will simply apply a Tax on their Cars which freely pour into the U.S,” the president tweeted Saturday afternoon.

Trump sparked contretemps Thursday by announcing a plan to impose tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum, which are designed to help the American steel industry by raising the price of foreign steel. EU officials have signaled for weeks that they would respond with tariffs on Harley-Davidson and Kentucky bourbon. Those are politically pointed choices, as the products are made in the respective home states of House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-threatens-eu-with-auto-tariffs/article/2650626
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Trump threatens EU with auto tariffs
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 10:01:01 pm »
Guess I better by that new Seat before the tariff is instituted.....

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 10:05:12 pm »
Guess I better by that new Seat before the tariff is instituted.....

How in the world am I supposed to haul around three 50 - 70 lbs dogs, a kid and a husband in that?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 10:05:40 pm »
Trump ran on negotiating better trade arrangements for the US. He said we had been weak in the past, and had wound up with crappy deals.

I see him setting the ground, for negotiating better trade deals.

The jist of what I read from our august experts here, is acceptance of the extant crappy deals, rather than risk some disruption. E.g. wobbly kneed fear of letting loose of the crappy status quo.

Check into Reagan's policies:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/jul/01/donald-trump-cites-ronald-reagan-protectionist-her/
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 10:21:52 pm »
More taxes on the American public.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 10:25:14 pm »
How in the world am I supposed to haul around three 50 - 70 lbs dogs, a kid and a husband in that?

The back seats fold down....

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 10:33:21 pm »
The back seats fold down....

LOL  That model looks to be about 4' tall.  I'm 5'8", I'd have to fold in half to get in.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 10:33:24 pm »

Around here, that's not what a golf cart is for.  **nononono*

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 10:36:07 pm »
LOL  That model looks to be about 4' tall.  I'm 5'8", I'd have to fold in half to get in.

There is an optional sunroof.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 10:49:33 pm »
Trump’s retort takes aim at one of the crown jewels of Germany — the home of BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen — which is Europe’s largest economy. “They make it impossible for our cars (and more) to sell there,” he wrote in the tweet. “Big trade imbalance!”

Maybe he'll be happy when they scale back production operations and personnel at their factories in red states like AL, TN, and SC.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 05:45:36 am »
Trump’s retort takes aim at one of the crown jewels of Germany — the home of BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen — which is Europe’s largest economy. “They make it impossible for our cars (and more) to sell there,” he wrote in the tweet. “Big trade imbalance!”

Maybe he'll be happy when they scale back production operations and personnel at their factories in red states like AL, TN, and SC.

Can't wait to see how Orange Brigadiers spin this one.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 07:07:06 am »

Make it impossible for OUR cars? 

Seriously? 

Ford...Chevy and Chrysler are all over Europe.

Ford has a huge plant in Cologne and the current U.S. model Escape and the new Eco Sport are made there and shipped here IIRC.

Chevy has part ownership in Opel and Vauxhall in England.

Chrysler is owned by Fiat and many Chrysler models are sold in Europe under the Lancia name. 

So to say that our cars can't sell there is just an uninformed statement on his part.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:07:34 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 10:27:32 pm »
You get the Romney Roof Rack option, seating arrangement is up to you.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 10:54:20 pm »
You get the Romney Roof Rack option, seating arrangement is up to you.

If you knew how I felt about my dogs you would know that it would be hard deciding whether the kid and husband or the dogs ended up on the roof rack.

Online corbe

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 10:58:40 pm »
   @RoosGirl checking out the Romney Rack.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 12:04:28 am »
If you knew how I felt about my dogs you would know that it would be hard deciding whether the kid and husband or the dogs ended up on the roof rack.
@RoosGirl

Hey I'd be on the roof with my dog. Actually he really doesn't fit in the car I have now.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 12:17:32 am »
Trump’s retort takes aim at one of the crown jewels of Germany — the home of BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen — which is Europe’s largest economy. “They make it impossible for our cars (and more) to sell there,” he wrote in the tweet. “Big trade imbalance!”  Maybe he'll be happy when they scale back production operations and personnel at their factories in red states like AL, TN, and SC.
@edpc

Trump started this war, and we will have higher prices but he will say he "won".

I traded in my Jaguar when it was 18 yrs. old, and bought a Hyunda Elantra in 2010 to get me where I wanted to go, wouldn't be making long trips in it.  It is small, however, when son was here, he said it is big compared to the car he has in London, England.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 12:21:23 am »
@edpc

Trump started this war, and we will have higher prices but he will say he "won".

I traded in my Jaguar when it was 18 yrs. old, and bought a Hyunda Elantra in 2010 to get me where I wanted to go, wouldn't be making long trips in it.  It is small, however, when son was here, he said it is big compared to the car he has in London, England.

Yes, I have been to Milan and Rome for extended stays and the vehicles they drive are tiny. That was the first time I saw a smart car in 2005.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.