Author Topic: In 2007 Syria, Iran And North Korea Tried To Load Chemical Weapons Into A Missile. It Ended Badly.  (Read 265 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
On February 27, an article in the New York Times revealed that the United Nations had produced a two-hundred-page report detailing the transfer of components for the production of chemical weapons from North Korea to Syria. While it is uncertain whether the UN report will be released to the public, the Times details transactions after Syria supposedly destroyed its chemical-weapons facilities, including acid-resistant tiles in January 2017 (useful in chemical-weapon facilities), as well as special high-resistance valves and thermometers “known for use in chemical weapons” in August 2016.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/2007-syria-iran-north-korea-030000257.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

At 4:30 in the morning on July 25, 2007, a fiery explosion tore through a heavily guarded building a dozen miles southeast of Aleppo, Syria. The building was part of a complex known as al-Safir, one of five constructed by the Syrian government to produce and store chemical weapons. Al-Safir particular specialized in Sarin and VX, extremely lethal nerve agents that among other terrible effects disrupt the muscle responses necessary for breathing.

Publicly, the Syrian government claimed that the facility had been a conventional arms depot, and that temperatures exceeding fifty degrees Celsius had caused munitions to cook off in a chain reaction. But that didn’t square with the timing of the explosion during a cool desert night.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
50c is 122 f

Not hot enough to cause typical munitions to spontaneously explode
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

I'm sure they had 'help' in that mishap.  The summer of 2007 was a particularly bad year for the Syrian WMD projects.  That September, the Israelis conducted Operation Orchard on their attempt to construct a Yongbyon type nuclear facility.