Author Topic: EU says it will hit back at Donald Trump with tariffs on Harley Davidsons, Bourbon whiskey, and Levi  (Read 1610 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
By Jon Stone, Shehab Khan, The Independent
https://www.yahoo.com/news/eu-says-hit-back-donald-184900613.html

The European Union is to slap tariffs on stereotypical American products such as Harley Davidson motorbikes, Levi’s blue jeans and Bourbon whiskey in retaliation for Donald Trump’s new import tariffs, in a major escalation of the brewing trade war between the two powers.

European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker told German television that the EU would not “put our head in the sand” after Mr Trump announced the introduction of a 25 per cent “America First” import tariff on steel and 10 per cent on aluminium.

“We will put tariffs on Harley-Davidson, on bourbon and on blue jeans – Levis,” Mr Juncker said on Friday speaking on German television.

“We are here and they will get to know us. We would like a reasonable relationship to the United States, but we cannot simply put our head in the sand" . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline LMAO

This is only the beginning

It appears the president is doubling down on this
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Trade wars always lead to misery and hot wars.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Night Hides Not

Trade wars always lead to misery and hot wars.

Trump must have slept through his history classes.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Congress could take the tariff power out of the President's hands if they wanted to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocal_Tariff_Act

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker told German television that the EU would not “put our head in the sand” after Mr Trump announced the introduction of a 25 per cent “America First” import tariff on steel and 10 per cent on aluminium.

Americans buy things every day that contain steel and aluminum.  His response is to target niche products?  How imposing.    *****rollingeyes*****
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Concerned

Since the President believes trade wars are good and easy to win, he must be thrilled with this news. 
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Suppressed

Americans buy things every day that contain steel and aluminum.  His response is to target niche products?  How imposing.    *****rollingeyes*****

Shoukd put it on movies.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EasyAce

Congress could take the tariff power out of the President's hands if they wanted to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocal_Tariff_Act
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
They could . . . but considering how much of their once customary prerogatives they've ceded to the executive branch in recent years,
what would you say the odds of them doing so might really be?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

Apparently, those niche products aren't unpopular in Europe.

And who's to say it'll stop there?

Offline edpc

Apparently, those niche products aren't unpopular in Europe.

And who's to say it'll stop there?

I doubt that it will, but it’s a pretty weak opening salvo.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DB

Trade wars reduce trade.

Everyone is a loser in trade wars.

Offline roamer_1

(Irish) People Try Bourbon For The First Time
! No longer available

Offline edpc

(Irish) People Try Bourbon For The First Time

They probably wouldn't like the Knob Creek 120 proof I buy.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Trade wars reduce trade.

Everyone is a loser in trade wars.
Nope.

Trump and his fawning supporters are convinced we will "win".

Reminds me of when Hitler convinced himself that he could 'win" more 'living space' for Germany by invading and conquering Russia in 4 months .
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 09:11:31 pm by INVAR »

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EasyAce

Nope.

Trump and his fawning supporters are convinced we will "win".

Reminds me of when Hitler convinced himself that he could 'win" more 'living space' for Germany by invading and conquering Russia in 4 months .
@INVAR
Or when Sonny Liston trained himself to go only two or three rounds at most because he was convinced he could knock that upstart blabbermouth from Louisville
into the middle of next month some time in those first three rounds with one meathook tied behind his back. Yep. He sure showed that little punk soon to
be known as . . . Muhammad Ali . . .
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 09:15:58 pm by EasyAce »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
The crypto-Economists of TBR spreading the doom and gloom of a non existing trade war should be ignored.  They are the Paul Krugmans of the site. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline NavyCanDo

Trump must have slept through his history classes.

What the Hell is he trying to do? First China, and now the EU.  The damage China alone can do to our economy in response is huge. One example, the majority of airplanes in Boeing's backlog are being bought by China. Orders that can be canceled and given to Airbus.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Levis aren't a niche product in Europe.  Neither is bourbon.  It's a 1.3 billion Euro a year business with distilleries in the U.S.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The crypto-Economists of TBR spreading the doom and gloom of a non existing trade war should be ignored.

No what we are is people that study History...unlike the people poo posing what Trump is doing and the reactions to it.

Those that don't learn from history...

They are the Paul Krugmans of the site.

Only Keynesian economists here are the ones cheering Trump's infrastructure spending....his massive increase of the deficit and his jump back to the 30's with the start of a tariff war.

In short...not the people your lame insult were aimed at.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline corbe

‘No country exclusions’ for steel, aluminum tariffs, White House trade adviser Peter Navarro says

By David Sherfinski - The Washington Times - Sunday, March 4, 2018

The White House’s director of the office of trade policy on Sunday said there will be no country “exclusions” at this point for new tariffs on steel and aluminum imports.

“As soon as you exempt one country, then you have to exempt another country,” Peter Navarro, director of the White House Office of Trade and Manufacturing Policy, said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

“Canada is 40 percent of the market,” he said. “If you exempt Canada, then you have to put big, big tariffs on everybody else.”

“This is a measured, targeted approach,” he said.

The head of the World Trade Organization, among others, expressed concern about the move, saying “the potential for escalation is real” and that a trade war isn’t in anyone’s interest.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/mar/4/peter-navarro-says-no-country-exclusions-steel-alu/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Trade wars like the kind Trump just ignited have unintended consequences that prove disastrous for the nation stupid enough to start them.

In the short term, tariffs are just taxes imposed on American consumer.  They are the ones who have their choices limited and taxed.  The targeted nations do not pay anything.

They just close off our ability to import our goods to their markets.

Short term pain - long term disaster.

Offline edpc

‘No country exclusions’ for steel, aluminum tariffs, White House trade adviser Peter Navarro says

By David Sherfinski - The Washington Times - Sunday, March 4, 2018

The White House’s director of the office of trade policy on Sunday said there will be no country “exclusions” at this point for new tariffs on steel and aluminum imports.

“As soon as you exempt one country, then you have to exempt another country,” Peter Navarro, director of the White House Office of Trade and Manufacturing Policy, said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

“Canada is 40 percent of the market,” he said. “If you exempt Canada, then you have to put big, big tariffs on everybody else.”

“This is a measured, targeted approach,” he said.

The head of the World Trade Organization, among others, expressed concern about the move, saying “the potential for escalation is real” and that a trade war isn’t in anyone’s interest.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/mar/4/peter-navarro-says-no-country-exclusions-steel-alu/

That's interesting, because Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross was on MTP.  He hedged on whether there would be exemptions or if Trump would actually sign a tariff order this week.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:29:44 pm by edpc »