Author Topic: Google tried censoring 'gun' shopping searches. It backfired  (Read 456 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Google tried censoring 'gun' shopping searches. It backfired
« on: March 01, 2018, 07:17:52 pm »
by Philip Wegmann | Feb 27, 2018, 7:28 PM
In the wake of the Florida school shooting, Google decided to take a stand. The gatekeeper of the Internet decided to filter shopping searches that included the term “gun.” It didn't go so well.

In the end, Google’s war on the gun was really quite silly and pointless. The virtue-signaling stunt only exposed their own stupidity.

Early Tuesday morning, Internet shoppers started noticing and documenting the digital gaffes. Users received error notices when they searched for glue guns and water guns, toy guns and airsoft guns, nail guns and nerf guns. The algorithm is apparently so strict that even the color "burgundy" triggered an error because it includes "gun" in the spelling.

This set off something of a parlor game on social media. Turns out, adults don’t like it when faceless bureaucrats try enforcing arbitrary restrictions — federal, corporate, or otherwise.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/google-tried-censoring-gun-shopping-searches-it-backfired/article/2650230
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Suppressed

Re: Google tried censoring 'gun' shopping searches. It backfired
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 07:37:46 pm »
Reminds me of the old days, when many places blocked Sweetwater, for what it contains.

Funny how Google blocked the Indianapolis Colts and Laguna Beach.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WingNot

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 07:40:51 pm »
I believe the author was speaking of the days right after the event.  But Hey,  What would I know.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 08:16:34 pm »

With this kind of censorship, how is Tim supposed to ‘make it work’....?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 08:26:48 pm »
I don't begrudge Google for not wanting to sell guns through their own service. They are a private organization and have that right. The article made it seem like they were censoring you from finding any service online to buy guns through. I don't see any evidence of that.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 08:34:49 pm »
I don't begrudge Google for not wanting to sell guns through their own service. They are a private organization and have that right. The article made it seem like they were censoring you from finding any service online to buy guns through. I don't see any evidence of that.

But searches for 'Velvet Revolver", "Top Gun", "The Rifleman" and many others (which I assume can be bought thu google shopping) were also blacked out.