Author Topic: A cancer survivor was fined $2,260 for driving patients to and from hospital appointments  (Read 541 times)

Offline Millee

A London woman who survived breast cancer isn’t faring so well against city bylaw officers who fined her $2,260 for providing a service to patients that medical staff say is invaluable.

For more than three years, the woman has been a regular at an outpatient clinic at St. Joseph’s Hospital, providing rides to and from the clinic to patients who aren’t allowed to drive after being sedated for procedures such as endoscopies and colonoscopies.

She refused tips, at first charged only $10 round trip, an amount to cover the costs of gas and maintenance, her work so appreciated by medical staff that many consider her a critical volunteer. She offers to get patients safely situated at home, rather than drop them off at the curb.

But years of good deeds may have come to an end after bylaw officers arranged a sting operation Feb. 15: An enforcement officer called her for a ride, saying he was a patient getting a colonoscopy; she even providing words of reassurance on the ride to the hospital. But after he paid her, another enforcement officer ran over and issued her two tickets for owning and operating a vehicle for hire without a licence.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/canada/a-cancer-survivor-was-fined-2260-for-driving-patients-to-and-from-hospital-appointments/wcm/15ce309a-a485-451c-b2e0-a9165dab6c93?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Boy that freedom they have over there is awesome!!!
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Throw her in the slammer with the threats to society that operate unauthorized lemonade stands.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
So she is operating a cab without a license.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
So she is operating a cab without a license.

She self identifies as an ambulance.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline RoosGirl

Man I would have thought some place like UK would have required registration of vehicles to prevent this senseless tragedy.

Offline goatprairie

Man I would have thought some place like UK would have required registration of vehicles to prevent this senseless tragedy.
This is London, Ontario, Canada.

Offline WingNot

Did Justin dress up as a Cancer patient for the Sting?

Offline RoosGirl

Oh, *that* London.  Hah, thanks for the correction.

Offline WingNot

They drive amongst us.  Thick as flies on a gut barrel.  Can't wait for em to head back nort.

Offline goatprairie

Moral of story: no good deed goes unpunished.  I guess you can have democracies and bureaucracies. The question is: which one has more power? It looks like in Canada as here, bureaucrats wield the most power.

Offline RoosGirl

They drive amongst us.  Thick as flies on a gut barrel.  Can't wait for em to head back nort.

Almost time for that Easter parade.

Offline WingNot

Almost time for that Easter parade.

North bound and down on I-75

Offline Frank Cannon

Doesn't matter which one. They are both ruled over by an ugly old Queen.....and some woman who lives in Windsor Castle.

Online kevindavis007

Doesn't matter which one. They are both ruled over by an ugly old Queen.....and some woman who lives in Windsor Castle.

I don't consider Canada a real country until they truly separate themselves from the English crown.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline goodwithagun

:rolling:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline WingNot

I don't consider Canada a real country until they truly separate themselves from the English crown.
Welp.  When you talk about a march on Washington..They did puta burn on the white house back when they had a pair.