Author Topic: Senators trying to lock down deal on gun votes this week  (Read 626 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senators trying to lock down deal on gun votes this week
« on: February 27, 2018, 01:50:37 am »
By Jordain Carney - 02/26/18 08:24 PM EST

GOP Sen. John Cornyn (Texas) said he and key Democratic senators are trying to negotiate a deal to vote on a slate of gun control measures this week.
Cornyn, the No. 2 Senate Republican, said he was having "good-faith negotiations" with Democratic Sens. Chris Murphy (Conn.), Richard Blumenthal (Conn.) and others to try to have votes on roughly four proposals, including a narrow background checks measure supported by President Trump.

"We're talking to Senator Murphy, and others, Senator Blumenthal, there's some other things they said they would like to have a vote on so we're trying to figure out what those are and if it's possible to come up with a reasonable list of four, you know two on each side, things we could vote on to get this done ... this week," he said.

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/375721-senators-trying-to-lock-down-deal-on-gun-votes
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Senators trying to lock down deal on gun votes this week
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 01:55:17 am »
"We're talking to Senator Murphy, and others, Senator Blumenthal, there's some other things they said they would like to have a vote on so we're trying to figure out what those are and if it's possible to come up with a reasonable list of four, you know two on each side, things we could vote on to get this done ... this week," he said.

This won’t be anything but bad.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 02:05:53 am »
It doesn't matter what harrumphing they do to create the illusion they are doing something to protect their phoney-baloney jobs.

Gun owners need to simply inform them, We Will Not Comply with whatever it is they decide to do, we will defy them.  And should they attempt to enforce such phone-baloney feel-good bullshit to placate an anti-gun Leftist mob, it will cost them dearly.

The government itself has repeatedly demonstrated that it is lawless and refuses to be bound by any restraints the Constitution or We The People attempt to place on them.  Including exonerating grievous violations and treasons from high ranking government officials and agencies conducted against the people and the security of the nation.  We will be damned before we allow ourselves to follow commands to be restrained from our right to arms from a lawless government infringing on an enumerated Right, nor do we trust it to be limited to what they say gun control measures will be.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 02:10:53 am »
Senate legislation that would enhance reporting to the gun-buyers background check system hit a roadblock on Monday, as Congress and the White House struggled to come up with a swift response to the deadly mass shooting at a Florida high school.

At least one senator, Republican Mike Lee of Utah, acted to block expedited consideration of a bipartisan bill to close gaps in criminal records covered by federal background checks, according to people familiar with the discussions. Under the chamber’s rules, any senator can object to the accelerated process.

Still, John Cornyn of Texas, the Senate’s second-ranking Republican and chief sponsor of the bill to bolster the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, said he was working with colleagues to move ahead and that a vote could be held as early as this week if every senator can agree.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-26/quick-action-on-gun-background-checks-bill-held-up-in-senate

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 02:14:49 am »
While some Republican senators, like Florida's Marco Rubio and Kansas' Pat Roberts, have signaled a willingness to raise the age at which individuals can purchase rifles from 18 to 21, other key leaders have broken with Trump.

"I think what we want to focus on is things that will actually save lives," Cornyn, the GOP vote counter, told CNN on Friday when asked if he supported raising the age limit. "That's why I think the focus should be on the Fix NICS bill, which is the only bipartisan piece of legislation that can be signed into law."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/26/politics/republicans-democrats-gun-bill/index.html

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 03:34:25 am »
Cornyn, the No. 2 Senate Republican, said he was having "good-faith negotiations" with Democratic Sens. Chris Murphy (Conn.), Richard Blumenthal (Conn.)

Only an idiot like Cornyn would really believe that he is going to receive "good faith" from the likes of two snakes like Murphy and Blumenthal.

Like a wise lady once stated,
"In any compromise between good and evil, it is only evil that can profit".

Even a dumb guy like me can understand and be governed by that.
But "my betters" -- guys like Cornyn and the rest of 'em -- cannot.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 08:27:02 am »
good-faith negotiations" with Democratic Sens. Chris Murphy (Conn.), Richard Blumenthal (Conn.)

The only good faith in this is this lowlife's faith that it'll keep the MSM from writing him up as a blood drinking tool of the Gun Lobby.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 10:14:07 am »
By Jordain Carney - 02/26/18 08:24 PM EST

GOP Sen. John Cornyn (Texas) said he and key Democratic senators are trying to negotiate a deal to vote on a slate of gun control measures this week.
Cornyn, the No. 2 Senate Republican, said he was having "good-faith negotiations" with Democratic Sens. Chris Murphy (Conn.), Richard Blumenthal (Conn.) and others to try to have votes on roughly four proposals, including a narrow background checks measure supported by President Trump.

So it was more than just a Bump stock ban...

Drip drip drip.... just as I said would happen.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:14:30 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 10:58:33 am »
So it was more than just a Bump stock ban...

Drip drip drip.... just as I said would happen.

But it's for the children /s
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online libertybele

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 12:46:06 pm »
IMHO I think it is important if you can do so, to donate to the NRA, Gun Owners of America, The 2nd Amendment Foundation, etc., and also e-mail, call your governors and legislators encouraging them to stand strong and reject any legislation that infringes on our 2nd Amendment rights. 

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 01:48:07 pm »
IMHO I think it is important if you can do so, to donate to the NRA, Gun Owners of America, The 2nd Amendment Foundation, etc., and also e-mail, call your governors and legislators encouraging them to stand strong and reject any legislation that infringes on our 2nd Amendment rights.

Good idea overall...but I'd keep a cautious eye on the NRA these days.  They fully support the bump stock ban.  One of their Florida lobbyists is on record attacking a Florida open carry advocacy group falsely stating they torpedoed gun rights laws in the state as well.

IMHO they're in desperate need of new blood but like in Congress the old bulls won't let anyone into their group.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 01:53:58 pm »
Our politicians are fixated on empty gestures these days.
"Hey, school shootings have become a real problem. Let's ban something that isn't being used in them"
Countdown to Resignation

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 02:00:18 pm »
So corporations & banks can refuse to do business with the NRA because they don't agree with them

..., but a cake maker can not?   *****rollingeyes*****
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online libertybele

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 02:05:55 pm »
Good idea overall...but I'd keep a cautious eye on the NRA these days.  They fully support the bump stock ban.  One of their Florida lobbyists is on record attacking a Florida open carry advocacy group falsely stating they torpedoed gun rights laws in the state as well.

IMHO they're in desperate need of new blood but like in Congress the old bulls won't let anyone into their group.

Yes, I've heard some negatives on the NRA, but I still feel they do a significant job on defending the 2A and as far as I know they are the largest gun rights lobby group in the U.S.

As for them being for banning bump stocks, I haven't heard that.  Dana Loesch has come out and said that the NRA does not support the bump stock ban.

https://www.salon.com/2018/02/25/dana-loesch-contradicts-trump-nra-doesnt-support-bump-stock-ban-age-limit-raise/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 02:07:46 pm »
So corporations & banks can refuse to do business with the NRA because they don't agree with them

..., but a cake maker can not?   *****rollingeyes*****

@DCPatriot Ironic isn't it.

Kinda like you don't hear a lot of this crying and gnashing of teeth about gun control when it's a Republican that gets shot.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 02:11:09 pm »
Yes, I've heard some negatives on the NRA, but I still feel they do a significant job on defending the 2A and as far as I know they are the largest gun rights lobby group in the U.S.

As for them being for banning bump stocks, I haven't heard that.  Dana Loesch has come out and said that the NRA does not support the bump stock ban.

https://www.salon.com/2018/02/25/dana-loesch-contradicts-trump-nra-doesnt-support-bump-stock-ban-age-limit-raise/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/01/luis-valdes/nra-florida-lobbyist-marion-hammer-non-approved-board-candidates-are-the-enemy-within/

Anyone have any doubt what "additional regulations" means in politispeak?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:12:17 pm by txradioguy »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 02:30:14 pm »

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/01/luis-valdes/nra-florida-lobbyist-marion-hammer-non-approved-board-candidates-are-the-enemy-within/

Anyone have any doubt what "additional regulations" means in politispeak?

@txradioguy
It means bump stocks will be banned or made class 3.

It also means other 'accessories' will most likely be added to the banned list.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 02:31:41 pm »
@txradioguy
It means bump stocks will be banned or made class 3.

It also means other 'accessories' will most likely be added to the banned list.

@driftdiver

Someone better warn Jerry Miculek and a few other competition shooters that their trigger finger may soon be in violation of the NFA.