Author Topic: Congress Has Ideas On Gun Violence, But No Consensus  (Read 209 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Congress Has Ideas On Gun Violence, But No Consensus
« on: February 26, 2018, 02:21:40 pm »

WASHINGTON (AP) — After a 10-day break, members of Congress are returning to work under hefty pressure to respond to the outcry over gun violence. But no plan appears ready to take off, despite a long list of proposals, including many from President Donald Trump.

Republican leaders have kept quiet for days as Trump tossed out ideas, including raising the minimum age to purchase assault-style weapons and arming teachers, though on Saturday the president tweeted that the latter was "Up to states."

Their silence has left little indication whether they are ready to rally their ranks behind any one of the president's ideas, dust off another proposal or do nothing. The most likely legislative option is bolstering the federal background check system for gun purchases, but it's bogged down after being linked with a less popular measure to expand gun rights.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/congress-ideas-gun-violence-little-consensus-125053081--politics.html
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:22:39 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Congress Has Ideas On Gun Violence, But No Consensus
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 02:25:02 pm »
"There's no magic bill that's going to stop the next thing from happening when so many laws are already on the books that weren't being enforced, that were broken," said Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., the third-ranking House GOP leader, when asked about solutions. "The breakdowns that happen, this is what drives people nuts," said Scalise, who suffered life-threatening injuries when a gunman opened fire on lawmakers' baseball team practice last year.

Here's the guy that should be out there talking about the issue.  Scalise is an actual shooting survivor, unlike the snot nosed Gonzalez and Hogg.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 02:26:45 pm »
How about ALL violence?
Countdown to Resignation

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 02:30:22 pm »
WASHINGTON (AP) — After a 10-day break, members of Congress are returning to work under hefty pressure to respond to the outcry over gun violence. But no plan appears ready to take off, despite a long list of proposals, including many from President Donald Trump.

Republican leaders have kept quiet for days as Trump tossed out ideas, including raising the minimum age to purchase assault-style weapons and arming teachers, though on Saturday the president tweeted that the latter was "Up to states."

Their silence has left little indication whether they are ready to rally their ranks behind any one of the president's ideas, dust off another proposal or do nothing. The most likely legislative option is bolstering the federal background check system for gun purchases, but it's bogged down after being linked with a less popular measure to expand gun rights.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/congress-ideas-gun-violence-little-consensus-125053081--politics.html

Time will tell, however, Schumer's got Trump's number in stating that  "Trump has a tendency to change his mind on this and other issues" ...
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 02:38:24 pm »
Great commentary from Levin and he is absolutely 100% correct:

The Second Amendment, the right to bear arms against those who would take away your life and liberty, is the first freedom that defends the rest of your liberty.

https://www.conservativereview.com/articles/mark-levin-charlton-heston-second-amendment-essential-first/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:38:44 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 02:44:19 pm »
I'm a strong advocate of registration and insurance,  but I have no illusions that the political will exists for that right now.

I don't support bans on classes of weapons because they aren't efficacious,  and passing "feel-good" laws address only political passions.

I don't support raising the age to buy a rifle to 21; not when we invites folks at 18 to volunteer for the military.   

The most efficacious reform  that I think we can realistically make right now is to beef up the legal mechanisms for removing guns from the households of unstable individuals.    I think both left and right can get behind the idea of gun violence restraining orders.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide