Author Topic: Condoleezza Rice calls for 'conversation' on gun rights 'in the modern world'  (Read 789 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Condoleezza Rice calls for 'conversation' on gun rights 'in the modern world'
The Hill, Feb 23, 2018, Max Greenwood

Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called on Friday for a "conversation" about gun rights, questioning why Americans should have access to "military weapons."

"I think it is time for us to have a conversation about what the right to bear arms means in the modern world," Rice told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt. "I don’t understand why civilians need to have access to military weapons."

"We wouldn’t, we wouldn’t say you can go out and buy a tank," she continued. "So I do think we need to have that conversation."

More:  http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/375390-condoleezza-rice-calls-for-a-conversation-about-what-the-right

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Who woke her up?

Offline dfwgator

When someone says they want a "conversation", they really mean they want to lecture us and tell us we're wrong.

Offline LMAO

When someone says they want a "conversation", they really mean they want to lecture us and tell us we're wrong.

Similar to when someone says “ we need to work together and put our differences aside” really means, “ you need to give up your beliefs and agree with me.”
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Similar to when someone says “ we need to work together and put our differences aside” really means, “ you need to give up your beliefs and agree with me.”

^^^THIS.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

And tell us we need to surrender ourselves and our rights to their stewardship and government-imposed plans.

I think the time for 'conversation' is over.

They simply need to know that we are not going to comply with any further attempts to regulate arms, and should they actually be stupid enough to act upon enforcing whatever registration and confiscation schemes they come up with - that we are not going to go quietly, and they will have bought themselves a war.

I'm done talking, reasoning or 'discussing'. 

These weapons are mine - they will remain in my possession.   Any attempt to infringe, limit, list or otherwise make requirements on that possession will be resisted with extreme prejudice.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called on Friday for a "conversation" about gun rights, questioning why Americans should have access to "military weapons."

"I think it is time for us to have a conversation about what the right to bear arms means in the modern world," Rice told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt. "I don’t understand why civilians need to have access to military weapons."

"We wouldn’t, we wouldn’t say you can go out and buy a tank," she continued. "So I do think we need to have that conversation."

More:  http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/375390-condoleezza-rice-calls-for-a-conversation-about-what-the-right

My Nepalese Gahendra Martini-Henry (577/450) was a Military Rifle.

So was my Remington Rolling Block 5  rifle.

I shouldn't have access to those?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
My Nepalese Gahendra Martini-Henry (577/450) was a Military Rifle.

So was my Remington Rolling Block 5  rifle.

I shouldn't have access to those?

No.  According to our wannabe overlords and their Disciples in the Uniparty - THESE are all the implements of weaponry us 'little people' should be permitted to have access to (with a government license of course) in the mind's eye of our Elitist Betters:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Condoleezza Rice calls for 'conversation' on gun rights 'in the modern world'"

Stop for a moment and think how many "Republican" folks supported the notion of this woman running for president.

Condi, stick to the piano.
Pound on those keys, instead of on our principles.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
"Condoleezza Rice calls for 'conversation' on gun rights 'in the modern world'"

Stop for a moment and think how many "Republican" folks supported the notion of this woman running for president.

Condi, stick to the piano.
Pound on those keys, instead of on our principles.

Good one.

If Condi Rice is evidence of what passes for modern Conservative thought today (Limbaugh as well) - then the liberties we once believed in as insoluble are toast.

History teaches us quite clearly that mankind spoiled by prosperity and peace and ease of life, will ALWAYS choose to surrender their liberty in order to make kings for themselves and subjugate the whole land to despotism, war, ruin and captivity.  There is no exception to that rule of history and human nature.

And Condi Rice's statement is a perfect illustration of how a people willingly sell themselves and their posterity to slavery usually upon the chanting of a mob.

Offline Fantom

Well, Americans do not have access to "military" weapons. Although the Second Amendment guarantees that we should.

Miller was remanded back to the appeals court to ascertain if a sawed off shotgun was of military use.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline libertybele

"Condoleezza Rice calls for 'conversation' on gun rights 'in the modern world'"... a modern world that consists of liberal mental midgets who want to infringe upon our 2A rights.  A modern world where our government has become so corrupt that the rule of law is being ignored; perhaps the conversation needed should be held at the Convention of States!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

Rank sophistry. Like the reasons and principles have changed, or ever could change.  **nononono*
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 12:54:39 am by roamer_1 »

Offline montanajoe

As I've noted previously there is a cultural shift going on in the generation growing up much like the 60's and the Vietnam Era, as the baby boomers rejected military service much to the long term detriment of this country.

The old farts will proudly claim their arms will be pried from their cold dead hands and so what..if folks are really concerned about gun rights in the future they need to be engaging the kids in an attempt to change their views...us old farts congratulating each other on how strong our commitment to the 2nd is useless...  :shrug:

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author

Rank sophistry. Like the reasons and principles have changed, or ever could change.  **nononono*

Technology and life spans change over the ages.

People do not.

"The price good men pay for their indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."

Plato
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline libertybele

As I've noted previously there is a cultural shift going on in the generation growing up much like the 60's and the Vietnam Era, as the baby boomers rejected military service much to the long term detriment of this country.

The old farts will proudly claim their arms will be pried from their cold dead hands and so what..if folks are really concerned about gun rights in the future they need to be engaging the kids in an attempt to change their views...us old farts congratulating each other on how strong our commitment to the 2nd is useless...  :shrug:

I don't ever remember sitting around the dining room table as a family talking about guns nor the 2A.  My father and brothers would go hunting; though growing up I didn't even realize or consider that was a Constitutional right, nor from what I can recall was the 2A ever discussed in school.  There has been such a push by liberals for gun control that the 'discussion' in our liberal school system is to look down upon those who honor and respect that amendment.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Gee I wonder which other rights she thinks we need to have conversation on in the modern world ? Since it's obvious the people some depend on, foolishly, to protect them are incapable of or hesitant to because, well hey they want to go home to their families each night. The only rub with that is when you ask for and accept a job where you know that you will have to sometime put your life on the line, the people that pay you kind of expect that you do............so that they are able to go home to their families at night. Especially when they are children.

Offline skeeter

Passive aggressive mealy mouthed crap . If you do not trust the American people to own firearms just have the courage to say so and stop calling it having a 'conversation'.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:33:59 pm by skeeter »

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Condy, Sit down and shut up.

Can't be pointed out often enough.

The Founders put the Individual's Unalienable Rights in the hands of God, not of men.

They did this to put those Rights so far above any assumed authority on earth that the very idea of taking them away would be unthinkable.

With conservative allies like her, who needs enemas?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:41:04 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I don't conversate with dipsticks like Condi Rice.  She was Shrubs AA hire anyway.  Totally out of her element then and now.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline libertybele

To be honest, I liked Condi and thought she was intelligent and very articulate.  After this comment from her, obviously I was very, very wrong.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
To be honest, I liked Condi and thought she was intelligent and very articulate.  After this comment from her, obviously I was very, very wrong.

We learned that about a whole lot of people in the past couple of years we wrongly assumed were Limited Government Constitutional Conservatives, did we not?

We learned that principles are negotiable and changeable in order to 'win'.

We learned that Big Government is actually okay when WE do it.

We learned that deficit spending is okay when WE do it.

We learned that ObamaCare is too hard to cancel, so instead WE will manage it better.

We learned that payback and retribution are more important than first principles.

We learned that Constitutional Rights are subject to 'conversation' because they do not fit within the new paradigm of the modern world, and we must surrender them to Government-granted privilege to keep everyone 'safe' and un-offended.

Offline roamer_1

Ain't no different that the whole gallery of moderate Republicans calling themselves 'conservative'.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
**nononono* *****rollingeyes*****
Actually, wrong conversation. As for tanks, and for the enthusiast...(and one of many--where did you think Hollywood rents them, if not from dealers/collectors?)

http://www.exarmyvehicles.com/offer/tracked-vehicles

Of course, someone might see THAT coming...or a kid with a pop tart, but not this event? even when warned repeatedly?

The conversation doesn't need to be about tanks or guns, it needs to be about people.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:42:45 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis